PDA

View Full Version : Lest We Forget - Remebrance Sunday

Rodney9
November 10th, 2011, 07:49 PM
This thread deals in some way with Remembrance Sunday.

Lest We Forget

11 - 11 - 11

A Pittance Of Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo

and

For my Dad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNL_wGZgV5Q

Rodney

lisati
November 10th, 2011, 07:54 PM
A couple of news items:
http://www.3news.co.nz/Once-in-a-lifetime-111111/tabid/420/articleID/232349/Default.aspx
http://www.3news.co.nz/Turning-11-on-111111/tabid/817/articleID/232336/Default.aspx

Rodney9
November 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
It is very, very sad this was 'jailed' for over 8 hours.

The disrespect shown to Remembrance Day is sad.

It is the END of a war we are remembering.

I can not imagine what my Dad would think.

F.G.
November 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM
indeed, we should not forget.

i don't understand, do you mean that this thread was 'jailed'? surely there's nothing potentially rule breaking in making a thread about this?

it is interesting to see the the 2011 significance vying for media attention in competition with the two minutes silence.

BlinkinCat
November 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Lest We Forget.

mikewhatever
November 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM

What's Remembrance Day? What war are you talking about? What does any of this has to do with Ubuntu?

Edit: I had to look it up, since no one was kind enough to oblige.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Remembrance_Day

Seriously, can you enlighten me.

haqking
November 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
What's Remembrance Day? What war are you talking about? What does any of this has to do with Ubuntu?

Seriously, can you enlighten me.

Depends where you are in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

It is a big deal here in the UK, mainly dedicated to the great war (or world war 1) but applies to all the fallen

F.G.
November 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM
If you really need to know I'm the one that reported it as I believe it's political in nature.

How many millions of people died because of the egos of politicians. If it was not for politicians there would have been no war. Even on the 'good' side leaders with egos sent countless men to their deaths. The sad thing is people get influenced and sign up for a cause that's BS. Countless innocent people get killed because they believe they are joining a worthy cause, enough is enough.

I'm sad that so many people died for such a stupid thing. I know people that fought at Al Alamein etc and it saddens me to know the hell they went through. There are no victors in war, everybody loses.

I think you may have missed the point of 'Remeberance Day'. I believe the point of it is not to analyse, politicize or even consider those aspects of war. the point is rememberance, without guilt, blame etc. of the actual people who suffered and died in war (not the politicos who didn't). and it is symbolically represented by the end of WWI.

edit -> i think if we're ever going to stop fighting wars things like Rememberance day are very important.

lisati
November 11th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Not all countries have a "Remebrance day" celebrations as such. For me the day associated with the phrase "Lest we forget" is Anzac Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day) on April 25.

By the way, please try to keep politics out of this thread, otherwise it might be closed again.

Megaptera
November 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Armistice Day.

haqking
November 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM
My Great grandad died in the Great war, my Grandad fought in the second world war, my mother and father were both in the military and i served also, losing one of my closest friends along side me in Northern Ireland.

Death is politically or religion agnostic, the reasons why some die maybe, but the remembering is nothing more than respect.

RIP to all who have fallen in every country in every war in every era for whatever the reason, serving or civilian.

Peace

jjex22
November 11th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Why we remember;

Think not of politics, but blame your pride
That the best of us marched, fought,
Then laid and died.

No cause deserving of the pricey sum,
No us and them,
Now battle’s done.
Gone are we, that you taught to kill
To peace at last
But remember still

Blame no God, faith, man or map,
But learn your lesson’s true
Of those not coming back

To all those who have given and lost in war we think of you.

mikewhatever
November 11th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Can we remember the fallen, Eurasians, South and North Americans, Africans and Australians, as well as people from islands around the world, and not just those of the Commonwealth?

Can we also do it in real life and not the cyberspace, such as the Ubuntu help and support forum?

I think the OPs dad would have said, "Oh my, son's gone crazy talking about me on some stupid web forum. What was he thinking anyway?".

jjex22
November 11th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Can we remember the fallen, Eurasians, South and North Americans, Africans and Australians, as well as people from islands around the world, and not just those of the Commonwealth?

Can we also do it in real life and not the cyberspace, such as the Ubuntu help and support forum?

I think the OPs dad would have said, "Oh my, son's gone crazy talking about me on some stupid web forum. What was he thinking anyway?".

There are commonwealth countries on each of those continents. The reason the commonwealth was mentioned is that when the legion adopted the poppy, they sent poppies to each commonwealth country - it's one of the reasons poppy day falls just before anzac day in Aus and NZ - the poppies were sent by boat and did not arrive in time for 11th November.

Following the second world war, Armistice day changed to remembrance day or veterans day to mark the fact that we don't just remember our lost from the Great war, but the lost of all wars, in every country on every side - 'lest we forget'.

It is just one day a year for the countless millions. I think it is entirely fitting that we, even here remember them.

mikewhatever
November 11th, 2011, 11:20 PM
There are commonwealth countries on each of those continents.

Sure, and by selecting only the commonwealth, you miss about 90% of the fallen in wars around the world. Why? Do you think the fallen from the commonwealth deserve better treatment? ...but let us stick to the WWI. What about the other side? Do you remember the Germans, the Austrians the Hungarians, the Turks? What about the allies? Why not remember the French, the Russians, the Belgians, and so on. What makes the commonwealth fallen more important that, that this forum is made a stage for remembering them, but not the others?

The reason the commonwealth was mentioned is that when the legion adopted the poppy, they sent poppies to each commonwealth country - it's one of the reasons poppy day falls just before anzac day in Aus and NZ - the poppies were sent by boat and did not arrive in time for 11th November.

Apologies, but I know not what you are talking about. The legion? You mean like Roman?

Following the second world war, Armistice day changed to remembrance day or veterans day to mark the fact that we don't just remember our lost from the Great war, but the lost of all wars, in every country on every side - 'lest we forget'.

It is just one day a year for the countless millions. I think it is entirely fitting that we, even here remember them.

Yes, you should remember your lost, presumably not on the day that you've been told to (you are not a puppet), but please, do not impose your traditions and customs on the rest of the world, unless of cause, you think it fitting to turn this forum into a memorial, and let every nation or group of people come here and post about their remembrance days. The forum should be renamed then, and Ubuntu support moved somewhere else.

Elfy
November 11th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I think it is entirely fitting that we, even here remember them.As do I.

For the people that really have an issue with this thread then I have I changed the title of it. I hope that google also catches up with the first few lines.

For those of you that are old enough to be have been unfortunately been caught up in the war(s) that Remembrance Day deals with I hope that the future was enough for you.

For those that were born of those caught up in the same war(s) I hope that the future was enough for you.

For the rest of us we were lucky (ish) ...

I'm glad I am here.

This thread is neither political nor religious - except in the minds of those who wish to make it so and as far as I am concerned there is no reason for it to be closed.

haqking
November 11th, 2011, 11:35 PM
As do I.

For the people that really have an issue with this thread then I have I changed the title of it. I hope that google also catches up with the first few lines.

For those of you that are old enough to be have been unfortunately been caught up in the war(s) that Remembrance Day deals with I hope that the future was enough for you.

For those that were born of those caught up in the same war(s) I hope that the future was enough for you.

For the rest of us we were lucky (ish) ...

I'm glad I am here.

This thread is neither political nor religious - except in the minds of those who wish to make it so and as far as I am concerned there is no reason for it to be closed.

very well said.

huge +1

Geez so much drama for no reason.

Peace

Elfy
November 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I would much rather that this thread just did the remembering.

If you've no reason to remember then ignore the thread.

The title has been changed - there is no reason to mistakenly post here.

Trolling will be dealt with in the normal way

Strike 1
Strike 2
Strike 3 and out.

mikewhatever
November 12th, 2011, 12:10 AM

The thread is neither political nor religious, but is entirely out of place. Just to remind you, this is a tech support forum and not a war memorial. IMHO, the thread should not be closed, but removed entirely.

I am going to protest the decision by signing off for a week.
Happy Remembrance Day, and, just this time, try to remember those you usually choose to ignore.

F.G.
November 12th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Anyway...

in the spirit of rememberance, some people who i rarely think of are:
my grandfather (he worked, under-age as a medical orderly during ww1 and in south african military intelligence in ww2), my great-grandfather (who was a gunner, and a member of the 'Royal Flying Corps' during ww1 (a particularly dangerous thing, during the birth of flight)) and my other grandfather who ran a radio station during ww2.
i didn't know any of them, but feel i should remember them and their efforts.

Elfy
November 12th, 2011, 12:47 AM
The thread is neither political nor religious, but is entirely out of place. Just to remind you, this is a tech support forum and not a war memorial. IMHO, the thread should not be closed, but removed entirely.

I am going to protest the decision by signing of for a week.
Happy Remembrance Day, and, just this time, try to remember those you usually choose to ignore.

If you feel it necessary to not come here for a week then I for one will miss not just your input on the things that those who come here just for support but also your thoughts on less support bearing questions - not only do I support you in that but also in your dedication to your belief.

piskie

That though is your personal decision - just as it was for me to report both this thread and all of my posts for the decision to be made by my peers. Such is life, such are decisions.

smellyman
November 12th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I will remember the forgotten...

those that didn't sign up for anything.

the innocent who pay

jjex22
November 12th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Sure, and by selecting only the commonwealth, you miss about 90% of the fallen in wars around the world. Why? Do you think the fallen from the commonwealth deserve better treatment? ...but let us stick to the WWI. What about the other side? Do you remember the Germans, the Austrians the Hungarians, the Turks? What about the allies? Why not remember the French, the Russians, the Belgians, and so on.

Just like to clear this up - in the UK Armistice Day and Remembrance day honour all dead - they focus primarily on WW1 and 2, but are for all. The service does indeed honour our allied service men and those of the enemy - indeed even before WW2 a poppy reef was laid at the Cenotaph by a German from Hitler, and veterans from both sides and all countries have been invited to take part in the services at the Cenotaph over the years.

mikewhatever, I apologise sincerely for any offence this post has caused you and am saddened that you feel you must leave the site for a week. This is not in the spirit of the day at all. It is about the hope of peace and acknowledging the sacrifices people have made to achieve it. Regardless of my political views I observed Friday's silence and shall observe Sunday's also.

KiwiNZ
November 12th, 2011, 04:43 AM
To those trying to get this thread closed.

Knock it off now.

Let those who wish to remember fallen kin etc do so unmolested. You you don't agree don't participate.

wolfen69
November 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM
To those trying to get this thread closed.

Knock it off now.

Let those who wish to remember fallen kin etc do so unmolested. You you don't agree don't participate.

Amen.

Paqman
November 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
We will remember them.

occams_beard
November 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I'm not a Brit, just a Yankee, but I will remember your fallen and say thanks any way! :)

sanderella
November 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM
We did remember them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/8886961/Remembrance-Sunday-Two-minute-silence-observed-as-Britain-remembers-war-dead.html

And there were similar ceremonies at hundreds of cenotaphs all over the country.