PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to remove launcher icons in Gnome?

tomek_wap
November 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hi,

I'm having trouble removing icons from GNOME's launcher.

Tried to get used to UNITY, but no luck with it. I want to go back using GNOME (2/fallback session).

I would like to have quick launch buttons to run apps - so decided to place them in launcher (top bar), either on left or right side.

http://photos.lothom.com/foto/gnome_launcher1.jpg

http://photos.lothom.com/foto/gnome_launcher2.jpg

The problem arrives when I want to remove them (or some of them). When placing them in Trash, as this is the only way I've found to removing them (trying to at least) it shows a dialog message:

"cannot move file to trash, do you want to delete it immediately?"
"the file .... cannot be moved to trash"

So I click on "delete", but still cant place it in trash.

"unable to trash file: permission denied"

Even tried to look in terminal under:
"home/my_username/.config/gnome-panel/launchers/"

but nothing there to delete ...

What's going on?
How to remove those app icons?

Thank you.

Inkpot
November 22nd, 2011, 05:58 AM
I'm having exactly the same problem. This used to be a piece of cake in previous releases of Ubuntu, but for some reason they took away the right-click --> remove from panel option. :(

Inkpot
November 22nd, 2011, 06:11 AM
I found the answer!

You need to press: super (windows key)+ alt + right-click over the launcher you want to remove and the option to remove it will appear. Worked like a charm for me!

tomek_wap
November 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
I found the answer!

You need to press: super (windows key)+ alt + right-click over the launcher you want to remove and the option to remove it will appear. Worked like a charm for me!

Yes! Yes! Yes!
Man!!! I love you!!! :)
You're a life saver :)

That works just perfectly! Wonderfully!
Now I have a complete control over what's out in the panels, on top of that I can move the panels around, move the clock/date to the side and not let it take up space in the middle, and what I like most, is the possibility to make the panels (top and bottom) fully transparent :) - that's so cool!!!

Problem solved. A solution so simple - just couldn't be any simpler :)
Thank you !!!

PS. going back to GNOME Classic :D I hated that hiding/unhiding side panel in UNITY, very annoying when keeping windows/browser in full screen, and suddenly panels pops out (i.e. new messenger message arrived).

psythe
November 26th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I found the answer!

Pressing only the ALT key and right clicking worked for me. Just wanted to throw that out there. Thanks for the info!

tomek_wap
November 26th, 2011, 04:46 PM
@psythe - you're quite right there, didn't notice that before. Thnx

dFlyer
November 26th, 2011, 04:51 PM
For my system I just right click the icon and uncheck keep in launcher. I don't need the superkey.

tomek_wap
November 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
For my system I just right click the icon and uncheck keep in launcher. I don't need the superkey.

That's strange as the only option I get is: launch, properties
And I wonder why it differs.

TwistedRotors
November 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Thank you very much for finding this. I was about to go crazy!

I found the answer!

dibuntux
November 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I'm running 12.04 lts amd64:
I discovered that in new systems you have to use the combination
<Win-super key> + <Alt> + right mouse button and not just
<Alt> + right mouse button

Problem is, on my glorious IBM PC AT 105 keys keyboard I have no € key and no <Win-super key> ...

It is a LINUX system right? Why do I have to use a <Win-super key> to remove an ICON? That is plain outrageous...

Somebody has a trick? TIA:confused:

dibuntux
January 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Yes, thanks for editing...
I found the solution anyway:

Remove icons in Gnome Panel or show menu Add to Panel
Equivalent of Alt+SuperKey (Win Key) on panel with IBM AT keyboard= Alt+Alt Gr + right mouse button

Peter K Nicol
January 24th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks. Alt+AltGr+rightclick works with my IBM X31 as well.

sramanujam
March 16th, 2013, 01:29 AM
I had the same problem today and your solution worked. Thanks!

I found the answer!

zx1986
June 14th, 2013, 09:13 AM
@lnkpot I love you too! thank you!

michel6
June 13th, 2014, 12:47 PM
i use Pear OS 8 and i have the same problem to remove icons from my launchpad, i tryed like you'll explain : press windows key+alt+ right click with mouse over the icon you want to remove, but there is no menu to remove it, it just dissapear the launchpad .... :mad: