PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome-Shell themes (having trouble installing)

lue42x
November 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I put the folder of a theme I downloaded into the home/username/.themes folder as instructed (link below), but when browsing for the .themes folder to find my theme from the Gnome Tweak(Advanced Settings) tool, I cannot see it. The ".themes" folder is a hidden folder, how are we to select it from the Gnome Tweak tool in that case?

The guide I have been using is:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/how-to-install-gnome-shell-themes-in-ubuntu-11-10/

cortman
November 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I was having this exact same problem last night, and I'm using the same guide...

lue42x
November 10th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Haha. Well, at least we're not in it alone. Though a lack of solution would mean it's twice as bad >_>. Hopefully someone who has done this before is able to advise.

Copper Bezel
November 10th, 2011, 05:09 PM
You shouldn't have to locate the file again from Gnome Tweak Tool. It should just be in the drop-down menus for Window Theme, GTK Theme, etc. The "Install" button is only needed if you haven't already installed it manually (by moving it to ~/.themes); all you need to do after that is select it.

If the theme doesn't have both a GTK2 and a GTK3 theme in the folder, though, it won't show up under the GTK Theme menu, so be mindful of that.

satanselbow
November 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
You should be able to select your theme from the dropdown in gnome-tweak-tool (advanced settings) if you have correctly placed the files in ~/.themes

The "browse" button can be used to load the zip directly and it will install your chosen theme for you ;)

Frogs Hair
November 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Make sure the themes are up to date GTK 3 themes . I installed a theme today that doesn't appear in the Gnome Tweak Tool and I found out it was compatible with 3.0 and not the Gnome 3.2 currently in use . GTK 2 .xx themes will not work .

lue42x
November 10th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I just tried installing by browsing for the zip file but unfortunately I get an "invalid extension" message

satanselbow
November 10th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I just tried installing by browsing for the zip file but unfortunately I get an "invalid extension" message

What's the source link for the theme? It is possible your download is corrupt in some way :(

lue42x
November 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm getting the files from the OMG Ubuntu! website ... I'll keep trying lol