PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing dell precision 410 workstation with a matrox diamond fire GL PRO 1

jringoot
November 10th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I am not sure if this is the correct thread.
I would like to install a dell precision 410 workstation with a matrox diamond fire GL PRO 1000 video card (I think the problem lies there) to use gcompris in school (5-6 year old kids)

I tried over and over with different ubuntu and debian based versions and flavors, and always install in textmode appears to succeed entirely. After reboot, screen is white with some vertical spots that I assume represent text and even a prompt.
switching console, pressing enter changes the image.
I was even able to login I think, using the chosen user and password during setup.

But I see no gui, and no valid text console, only some faint spots.
I can tell you there is no hardware problem with the machine, since it had a double boot windows 2000, redhat 9 (yes it was long ago since I used it). And I am able to get a good display with the livecd of puppydog linux, tried some applications, surf on internet, worked fine...
But I would like gcompris.

Also during install of any debian/ubuntu flavour I tried, there was a clear crisp screen, textbased, but clear and sharp.

Yes I tried Lubuntu, same issue.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Joost

Oh yes, this is about the same problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1852481&highlight=lubuntu+precision+410

Does noone uses such old hardware?

Rodney9
November 10th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I am not sure if this is the correct thread.
I would like to install a dell precision 410 workstation with a matrox diamond fire GL PRO 1000 video card (I think the problem lies there) to use gcompris in school (5-6 year old kids)

I tried over and over with different ubuntu and debian based versions and flavors, and always install in textmode appears to succeed entirely. After reboot, screen is white with some vertical spots that I assume represent text and even a prompt.
switching console, pressing enter changes the image.
I was even able to login I think, using the chosen user and password during setup.

But I see no gui, and no valid text console, only some faint spots.
I can tell you there is no hardware problem with the machine, since it had a double boot windows 2000, redhat 9 (yes it was long ago since I used it). And I am able to get a good display with the livecd of puppydog linux, tried some applications, surf on internet, worked fine...
But I would like gcompris.

Also during install of any debian/ubuntu flavour I tried, there was a clear crisp screen, textbased, but clear and sharp.

Yes I tried Lubuntu, same issue.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Joost

Oh yes, this is about the same problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1852481&highlight=lubuntu+precision+410

Does noone uses such old hardware?

The matrox diamond fire GL PRO 1000 video card is agp, so it might be easier to get a slightly more modern nvidia card, either for about $5 second hand or $40 new.

Rodney

jringoot
December 29th, 2011, 02:14 PM
sigh: It is not the video card, same system with a powercolor permedia C3000 pci card...
Same problem...

jringoot
December 29th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Stupid thing is that it works fine with windows XP with either video card....