PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Show desktop button and button to see/switch workspaces

Seb71
November 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
5) button to see/switch workspaces - the launcher workspaces button is badly broken and underpowered
6) show desktop - lack of a show desktop button was a real problem, though I eventually found a great hack to do that.

I was searching for solutions for this two problems, too. I want a quick way to change workspaces (with mouse, as you could in Gnome 2) and a quick way to minimize/restore all the windows from a workspace (using only the mouse).

The current workspaces switcher takes 30 seconds to load on my computer. Switching workspaces with keyboard shortcuts is faster, but I prefer a mouse only variant to do that.

I am in the same situation - graphic card is blacklisted so I can only run Unity 2D.

Please post your solutions to the above problems.

Artificial Intelligence
November 10th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Post moved, please don't hijack another users thread. Thanks.

Seb71
November 10th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Post moved, please don't hijack another users thread. Thanks.

What hijack? He listed the problems for which he found solutions. I asked him to share his solutions for two of those problems.

Anyway, my post was not about running Unity 3D, but I can not edit the thread title that you made.

Artificial Intelligence
November 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM
What title do you like?
The thread was in T&E, if you want his details please use PM.

Seb71
November 10th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Thread title:
"Show desktop button and button to see/switch workspaces"

And those questions do not belong in "Hardware & Laptops" where you put the thread. Maybe in "Desktop Environments".

If questions are answered by PM, other users do not benefit from those answers.

Artificial Intelligence
November 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Done.

Seb71
November 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks. I hope HDave will see this thread.

Artificial Intelligence
November 10th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Just send him a PM or post in his thread a link to this.

I know it seems complicated but we try to split T&E with support'n'help.

HDave
November 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
OK -- here are my fixes/hacks/solutions

5) button to see/switch workspaces - the launcher workspaces button is badly broken and underpowered

The primary solution to this was to install a cool workspaces indicator that some awesome Ubuntu user developed. Been using it for a week and it is VERY reliable. See the instructions for the PPA in the answer here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/77160/how-can-i-tell-what-workspace-i-am-in-with-unity

Also note the following two keyboard shortcuts:

Ctrl-Alt-Left / Right -- this will change workspace instantly
Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Left / Right -- this will move the current app to a new workspace

6) show desktop - lack of a show desktop button was a real problem, though I eventually found a great hack to do that.

Again, the solution can be found on askubuntu.com here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/77249/where-is-showdesktop-button-on-11-10

I went with the launcher icon solution that is based on the wmctrl utility. It is fast and reliable.

Pathetic that this doesn't come out of the box....

Seb71
November 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Thank you.