PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 installation, and wireless problems

Godspell
November 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I tried to install Ubuntu 11.10 64bit from a 4GB pendrive but it kept freezing during the installation stage, particularly when copying the files. I've tried different ways to resolve this:

- I plugged in my pendrive into different USB ports and ran installation again and again but same result.

- During the installation stage I setup a wireless connection so Ubuntu can download updates altogether but it froze, so I tried again without it but that didn't solve the problem either.

- I also re-formatted my pendrive and re-setup Ubuntu on it, too. I did that multiple times and there was no error, but when installing, the problem still existed.
(Btw, in the first place, I had followed instructions on Ubuntu website on how to setup an Ubuntu image on pendrive bootable.)

It was very frustrating...one moment it was working fine, copying files and so on but the next I checked, it was already frozen. I had to do hard shutdown several times.

At the end, I just gave up and burnt an image to a CD and installed from it (without setting up wireless)...it worked! The installation went well without any errors.

So, I rebooted and logged into my newly installed system. The GUI was beautiful and exciting but guess what...I set up a wireless connection, got connected and it FROZE!
Now, everytime I logged in, it froze cause automatically connects to a wireless network.
If I switch off the router, I can probably use the system but what's the point...especially without Internet.

My PC is really new, only 3 days old. I installed Windows 7 Pro 64it (which is what I'm using now) and loads of other applications and also transferred tens of GB of data from my laptop and not a sigle error whatsoever. So, I really don't think it's a problem with the PC. Following is it's specs.

m/b - ASRock N68-S3 UCC
AMD Phenom 2 X4 850 Processor 3.30 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5450
8GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz
750 GB HDD 7200 RPM
Currently, 450 GB occupied by Windows and the rest, Ubuntu 11.10 (16GB Swap).

Is there anyway at all to fix this problem?
I've thought of completely wiping out the Ubuntu occupied partitions from Windows storage manager and install Ubuntu 10.04 instead,...but as of this moment, I'm sick of doing installations, and also Ubuntu 11.10 looks wicked.
So, if there's a solution, please let me know. Suggestions, discussions and questions are very welcome.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
GS