PDA

View Full Version : Adobe to abandon flash on mobile devices

alphacrucis2
November 10th, 2011, 03:36 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/09/adobe-flash-player-mobile-plug-in_n_1083869.html

On Wednesday morning, Adobe confirmed rumors that it will end development of its Flash Player plug-in for mobile browsers.

LinuxFan999
November 10th, 2011, 04:20 AM
This is good news because it will encourage the web video sites to use HTML5 instead of flash. This also means that I will soon have no Adobe products on my tablet, which is good, because I hate Adobe.

Primefalcon
November 10th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Makes me a little nervous as well to be honest since Adobe had recently announced no more AIR for Linux... so will flash on Linux be next?

Psyael
November 10th, 2011, 04:56 AM
It's weird they're changing their bets from Flash to Air right after halting Linux Air.

Thewhistlingwind
November 10th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Even in the worst case scenario (for them) that flash is defeated by HTML 5 (Which I'm confident it will be.) Adobe doesn't necessarily need to be running scared. They still have the Adobe suite, which has much more to it than just flash. Adobe is sitting fine unless someone makes a better product than them. Considering that Krita hasn't taken off, the GIMP is slow to reach the mythical version 2.8 (Or whatever it was.) and they have virtually no competing (paid) products known to me, I'd bet that they'll still be here for another decade.

forrestcupp
November 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM
The thing that makes me mad about this is that we're just now at the beginning of the transition from Flash to html5. We're not there yet. There is still a need for Flash until html5 usage becomes much more saturated. I understand the benefit of forcing devs to become motivated, but don't take away my functionality in the process.

Apple pushed Adobe into this and they ruined it for all of us.

I did hear that Adobe is going to keep rolling out bug fixes for the final version of mobile Flash, though. So hopefully that will be enough to get us through the transition.

Even in the worst case scenario (for them) that flash is defeated by HTML 5 (Which I'm confident it will be.) Adobe doesn't necessarily need to be running scared. They still have the Adobe suite, which has much more to it than just flash. Adobe is sitting fine unless someone makes a better product than them. Considering that Krita hasn't taken off, the GIMP is slow to reach the mythical version 2.8 (Or whatever it was.) and they have virtually no competing (paid) products known to me, I'd bet that they'll still be here for another decade.
Let's not forget Premiere and After Effects, which are top-notch, professional video editing and compositing apps.

Erik1984
November 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM
It's weird they're changing their bets from Flash to Air right after halting Linux Air.

Not really as they seem to be focusing on Air as a platform for mobile apps not so much for the desktop.

marshaldinho
November 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM
speaking of adobe, does anyone know how i can install flash player. ain't happening

ikt
November 10th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Apple pushed Adobe into this and they ruined it for all of us.

Strangely I'm not shedding a tear.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

http://ikt.id.au/blog/2011/03/28/why-i-avoid-adobe/

forrestcupp
November 10th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Strangely I'm not shedding a tear.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

http://ikt.id.au/blog/2011/03/28/why-i-avoid-adobe/

I don't have a problem with not having Flash on a phone. It's tablets that I have a problem with. Browsing on a tablet is a closer experience to desktop browsing, and the fact is, there are still a lot of sites out there that use Flash and not html5 standards.

I don't give a rat's backside if it's open or not. I don't want someone else to dictate what I can and can't do on my tablet because they disagree with something being proprietary. Until there is more html5 saturation, don't prematurely take away my usability.

Let's not forget that Flash isn't just for ads and videos.

kaldor
November 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM
This is a step in the right direction. It's 2011- plugins just for simple media or special effects are unneeded.

I don't hate Adobe though. They produce some awesome products even though they won't make (barely) any Linux ports. With tools like Adobe Edge, I'm hopeful for mainstream use of modern web standards.

Edit:

I don't give a rat's backside if it's open or not. I don't want someone else to dictate what I can and can't do on my tablet because they disagree with something being proprietary.

For me it's about progress. I don't care about using proprietary software. It's a matter of forcing people to start using cross-platform web standards earlier. Give it time, and people will start doing this. The dropping of Flash will just make this process quicker.

As I've said before, I am sick of needing Plugins just to view media or some websites. It's not that big of a deal but it's just another requirement which is becoming useless. Also, I can't wait for all the websites made entirely in Flash to disappear. Thankfully Silverlight never took off.

I just see it as speeding up the progress in the right direction.