PDA

View Full Version : Gnome to remove min/max buttons.

Linuxratty
November 10th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I'm just astounded here.](*,)
Just because you can change something does not mean you should.

https://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/where-did-the-buttons-go/

Psyael
November 10th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Gnome still has maximize, it just isn't a button. You double click the title bar. I think it has the same thing as Unity where you can drag a window to the top of the screen and it scales to maximized as well.

The minimize button is gone because there isn't anywhere for windows to actually be minimized to. Chrome (I dunno about Chromium) overrides this and still has it's minimize button, but there's nowhere you can restore with a mouse click, you have to alt-tab to get it to restore the window.

I'm okay with GNOME so far. The alt-tab+alt-` (to switch between windows inside a particular app) is clever and the superkey->type->enter way of launching programs is acceptable and seems to recognize keystrokes faster than Unity does for me. My biggest problems are stupid "icon bar" that hides at the bottom of the screen and appears over fullscreen apps such as 3D games (or even the Fedora installer, as it blocked me from pushing Next a few times) and distros not really bothering to dig into modifying it at all. Nearly the whole interface is JS and be coded to be very different than what it is out-of-box.

Bazon
November 10th, 2011, 05:20 AM
A little Google Search will show you the window control buttons are easy to restore.
(i would tell myself, but I'm on my mobile device now...)

Bandit
November 10th, 2011, 05:29 AM
They are being removed by default, but can be easily added back.
The reasoning behind this is that you can use mouse or touch pad jesters to max the window much like Win7 already has built in and also compiz has this option as well before Win7 had it.
Drag the window to the top center it maximizes, drag to the side it takes up half the screen. Now if they would just make it minimize on dragging to the bottom of the screen I would be happy. :popcorn:

Exo

LowSky
November 10th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Your article is from earlier this year. It's very easy to add the buttons back, and place them where you wish too for example here is my desktop, Running Gnome 3.2 on Arch with Kernel 3.1.0-4.

Bazon
November 10th, 2011, 05:35 AM
OK, I changed my device just to enter this:

Standard Button layout can set by dropdown menu in Gnome-Tweak-Tool (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/introducing-gnome-tweak-tool-gui-to.html). (Under "Shell", then "Arrangement of the Buttons in the titlebar")

Other layouts (such as having them on the left) can also be achieved, see here (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/how-to-add-minimize-and-maximize.html) or there (http://www.khattam.info/howto-add-minimize-maximizerestore-buttons-in-gnome-3-2011-05-26.html) or anywhere (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=restore+minimize+gnome-shell)...

(my layout is close,minimize,maximize:menu [left sided + menu]by the way and I really minimize windows all the time, even in gnome-shell. they appear in the overview without problem)

Copper Bezel
November 10th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Linuxratty,

1. Many, many users have been getting used to this for over six months using Shell. I've been using Shell for about a week, but I haven't missed either button.

I haven't had a maximize button for a lot longer than that - it's unnecessary clutter when you can just double-click, and dragging windows to the top or side for maximize or half-maximize is a far more natural gesture. For anyone worried about accidental triggering, the top snap zone requires dragging the window past the point at which it stops moving against the panel, sort of like putting "pressure" on it. (Left and right edges are also handled much better than under Compiz.)

Minimize is irrelevant under Shell, and you'd know this after a few minutes with it. (Of course, with some tweaked interfaces through extensions, it becomes relevant again.)

Which brings us back to being able to change these settings....

2. According to Gnome Live!, Metacity settings are being ported from gconf to dconf. That means they'll be around for a good long time (and a damned good thing, because I need my close button on the left where it belongs, dammit.)

Notice that themes no longer override the Metacity setting. Change the theme and the buttons stay where you had them. That's worth the change alone, I think. = )

mamamia88
November 10th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Honestly there is no real reason to use the minimize function in shell but you still can by right click title bar and clicking minimize. As far as maximize is concerned much simpler to just double click the title bar and drag to top of the screen.

Bazon
November 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM
reason to use minimize in gnome-shell:
sorting windows by workspaces, but having always just one, not maximized window visible.
(that's the way I like it and I'm used to. :-) )

Copper Bezel
November 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I just start a new workspace for that, though. = ) Since the workspaces are available at the same place I'm launching the apps, after all, I tend to drop a the app onto its own workspace if I'm not using it in conjunction with another window.

But admittedly, it's just as easy to get to your stuff either way. = )

Jesus_Valdez
November 10th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I became use to not have the buttons after a little while.

Is not a big deal.

BigSilly
November 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah I agree. I used Gnome Shell for 6 months and you certainly do not miss the buttons. There's a very simple tweak to add them, but they really don't factor into the usage of it at all. Gnome Shell is very nice. It has a nice flow to it once you're used to it. Sad that a lot of people are very dismissive of it, but hopefully they'll come round in time.

Linuxratty
November 10th, 2011, 07:16 PM
OK,thanks for explaining.