PDA

View Full Version : How many times a day do you accidentally bring up the Unity bar?

Starks
November 10th, 2011, 12:36 AM
For me, at least 50.

Most of them occur with Firefox's Back button.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/765819

Mikeb85
November 10th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Occasionally. I usually don't use any full-screen apps though, so it doesn't happen often.

tekstr1der
November 10th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I can't even imagine intentionally choosing to auto-hide the unity dock for this very reason. We use Ubuntu live cd's frequently at work to quickly verify certain aspects of hardware on new builds. Every time I'm called to help a technician who has the default interface running I experience this annoyance almost immediately.

ccsm > hide launcher > never

is the very first thing I would do to a fresh install.

effenberg0x0
November 10th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I can't even imagine intentionally choosing to auto-hide the unity dock for this very reason. We use Ubuntu live cd's frequently at work to quickly verify certain aspects of hardware on new builds. Every time I'm called to help a technician who has the default interface running I experience this annoyance almost immediately.

ccsm > hide launcher > never

is the very first thing I would do to a fresh install.

I have disabled auto-hide. Seeing the thing slide is a waste time I always hated, even in traditional panels and windows releases.

Alwimo
November 10th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Occasionally, always with Firefox's back button.

Starks
November 10th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I hate this bug because the bar takes forever to hide itself again.

mc4man
November 10th, 2011, 01:07 AM
You can set edge reveal to TopLeft only & it will never expose inadvertently on the back button or the exit button in maxed windows

Can be done in one simple movement, fairly easy to commit to muscle memory

jerrylamos
November 10th, 2011, 01:43 AM
You can set edge reveal to TopLeft only & it will never expose inadvertently on the back button or the exit button in maxed windows

Launcher comes up at least 10 times as many times as when I intended to use it. Then I have to wait for it to go away.

Where do you "set edge reveal to TopLeft"?

Thanks.

Jerry

cariboo
November 10th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I have a 22" 16:9 LED monitor at 1920X1080 resolution, I usually place the browser about a ¼" from the left edge, and never run an application in full screen. After the initial setting, chromium always starts up in the same position, no matter what desktop I start it on.

On my netbook, with 10" 1024X600 screen, I run everything in fullscreen mode with the launcher set to auto hide, I can't recall ever opening the launcher when hitting the back button in a web browser.

Alwimo
November 10th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I thought that there was a bug in 11.10 that meant that the launcher wouldn't be activated by moving the cursor to the top left corner despite telling it to through CCSM.

The launcher settings manager that came with 11.04 was great and I used that with 11.04.

PaulInBHC
November 10th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Constantly with Firefox. Late night I minimized it, then dragged the window to fill the screen up to the launcher. This morning I closed the window and now when I start again, it opens full screen.

I tried never a while ago but having to hold the super and then click was worse than the pop out.

PaulInBHC
November 10th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I started ccsm, unity plug in, click the button for reveal mode. Click the top left of the screen corner to highlight, click the left side to un-highlight.

Now I have to move the pointer to the upper left corner and slide down the edge to get the launcher. I cannot get it with the back button. yippee

tekstr1der
November 10th, 2011, 02:30 AM

Regarding maximized windows, the corner-reveal method of revealing the dock only works as a product of yet another usability flaw of Unity - the close button does not obey Fitt's law:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/839690

VinDSL
November 10th, 2011, 03:10 AM
For me, at least 50.

Most of them occur with Firefox's Back button.

Truthfully, I don't have that problem anymore... :D

(Click image to expand)

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-9-nov-2011-2(650x520).png (http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-9-nov-2011-2.png)

Perhaps, the cure would be to move the button to the bottom of the panel, e.g. displace the trash icon (no pun intended). ;)

kaldor
November 10th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Truthfully, I don't have that problem anymore... :D

If I could make the launcher not expand (like OS X and Docky) I'd be very happy.

VinDSL
November 10th, 2011, 04:02 AM
If I could make the launcher not expand (like OS X and Docky) I'd be very happy.
Now, there's an idea!

Move the launcher panel to the bottom - remove everything from the panel - and put Docky on top of the empty area.

Hrm...

kaldor
November 10th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Now, there's an idea!

Move the launcher panel to the bottom - remove everything from the panel - and put Docky on top of the empty area.

Hrm...

Or simply just shrink it so that it doesn't take up the entire bottom with a huge black bar of empty space on my 25" widescreen monitor.

:)

jbicha
November 10th, 2011, 04:50 AM
The past week I've been using GNOME Shell so I haven't had this problem :)

The pop-out Unity launcher isn't too big of a deal to me but I think a lot of users would benefit from it being never-hide.

kaldor
November 10th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Currently my situation as well ;)

PapaGary
November 10th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Uh, er, uh...none? I've used Unity in Natty for about six months now so maybe I'm getting used to it.

Also, I seem to have this button on the left side of my mouse and when in Firefox and I tap the button with my thumb it goes back a page.

effenberg0x0
November 10th, 2011, 05:49 AM

The pop-out Unity launcher isn't too big of a deal to me but I think a lot of users would benefit from it being never-hide.

Exactly. For those with a large enough monitor, who can spare a little screen space, there's a real productivity gain in having the launcher always on screen. When icons are at size 32, it really doesn't occupy much space anyway.

younglemon
November 10th, 2011, 05:54 AM
A couple times a day probably, but like someone posted earlier, its not as bad with a big screen. I like the unity bar. I didn't at first but the more I cutomize it the better I like it

mc4man
November 10th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Exactly. For those with a large enough monitor, who can spare a little screen space, there's a real productivity gain in having the launcher always on screen. When icons are at size 32, it really doesn't occupy much space anyway.

I use to in natty like to switch between autohide & never, mainly for fullscreen videos, sometimes just because. Now it's more dodge & never. (though still at times like the clean desktop look of auto

To make it easier use a little toggle switch via a script & launcher -

#!/bin/bash
key_value=$(gconftool --get /apps/compiz-1/plugins/unityshell/screen0/options/launcher_hide_mode)
echo $key_value | grep "0"
if [[ $? -eq 0 ]] ; then
gconftool --type Integer --set /apps/compiz-1/plugins/unityshell/screen0/options/launcher_hide_mode 2
else
gconftool --type Integer --set /apps/compiz-1/plugins/unityshell/screen0/options/launcher_hide_mode 0
fi

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=toggle1
Name=Toggle Launcher
Icon=dvdisaster

VinDSL
November 10th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Good point!

That's the first thing I did (never hide launcher) the first day I used Unity.

Never hid it since...

philinux
November 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
CCSM Hide launcher = Never.

Suits me. I never had my gnome 2 panels autohide either.

MacUntu
November 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM
CCSM Hide launcher = Never.

Suits me. I never had my gnome 2 panels autohide either.
Heh, I switched with Unity. Never liked panels hiding and I certainly wouldn't want to hide Unity's top panel, but the launcher bar doesn't offer any real information that I'm not already aware of, so: hide it! :P

To get back to topic: never. I raised the edge trigger delay and if I really really want the launcher to appear NOW, then I hit the Super key.

BTW: Why do we call it "Super" key? It has a friggin Windows sticker on it - nothing super about that. :P

Janeson89
November 10th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Not quite often, as I use keyboard short-cut more...
But I don't quite like unity after all. Too few configuration to be made, too many confusing problems(why there's a mail indicator when it never checks for new mail automatically, why there's a online-account setting but it appears to do nothing at all, etc.), and not practical.

And after the disappointment on Gnome 3 later on,(Why is everything has the trend to turn out ugly after all?:() I'm finally forced to use KDE, and it works out fine. It's clumsy, but work out fine. And you can configure it out to look and use better. Try out, if you like.

lucazade
November 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
btw: Why do we call it "super" key? It has a friggin windows sticker on it - nothing super about that. :p

lol

Stovey
November 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I like how the launcher hides, it gives me more screen real-estate, and looks nifty when it pops in and out. It pops up for me occasionally when I reach for the back button though (maybe once or twice a day).

...BTW: Why do we call it "Super" key? It has a friggin Windows sticker on it - nothing super about that. :razz:

Maybe it should be called the "FLAG" key; it looks like a flag to me, and besides I can think of a clever acronym that includes "Lame" and "GUI".

kurt18947
November 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Heh, I switched with Unity. Never liked panels hiding and I certainly wouldn't want to hide Unity's top panel, but the launcher bar doesn't offer any real information that I'm not already aware of, so: hide it! :P

To get back to topic: never. I raised the edge trigger delay and if I really really want the launcher to appear NOW, then I hit the Super key.

BTW: Why do we call it "Super" key? It has a friggin Windows sticker on it - nothing super about that. :P

Not if you put an Ubuntu sticker on it ;).

kurt18947
November 10th, 2011, 04:33 PM
It drove me nuts when I first started using 11.10. In FireFox I did View -> Toolbars -> Customize. Then drag the forward/back arrows to the right of the address bar and added whatever else I felt like. Problem solved.

BigSilly
November 10th, 2011, 06:02 PM
It drove me nuts when I first started using 11.10. In FireFox I did View -> toolsbars -> Customize. Then drag the forward/back arrows to the right of the address bar and added whatever else I felt like. Problem solved.

I did that too, but I just couldn't get used to it. I ended up enabling the top left corner for the Unity bar, which works better for me. It's a shame that you have to do a sort of odd manoeuvre to trigger it with this setting (you have to whoosh your mouse top left, and sort of drop it down to trigger it), but it does work better than activating the bar accidentally all the time.

Derek Karpinski
November 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM
for me, at least 50.

Most of them occur with firefox's back button.

+1

larrypg
November 11th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Hello all, To be honest I can not understand why one would want to have the launcher always showing. Granted I am using a decent size screen but I would think with a small screen you would want it to hide even more. My launcher takes a maximum of a half second to open and even if I had to click on it 10 times in an hour for 8 hours it would save me a whole 40 seconds in that time period. Not sure that the extra 40 seconds will enable you to get much more done. Just my opinion.

VinDSL
November 11th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Yeah, they should rename it the "Loser" key! LoL! :D

coffeecat
November 11th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Back on topic, people, please. :) Remember the forum Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy).

derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them.

keithpeter
November 11th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Hello All

Mostly Firefox back button

Following a suggestion from another forum member, I right clicked over the Firefox tool bar and selected Customise, then dragged the back forward buttons, home icon &c to the other side of the address box.

I also dragged the contents of my bookmark bar (pinboard, readability &c) over to the space between the search box and address bar.

Then I unticked the bookmark bar in View | toolbars

Result: more vertical space and less annoyance.

Rasa1111
November 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
None.

I keep Unity visible always.

and I have no "windows" key on any of my machines..
They all have an Ubuntu key instead. ;) lol

dniMretsaM
November 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I don't use Unity, but when I had a "window dodging" panel on the left, I accidentally opened it something like 1 time per day.

Velvet_Man
November 11th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I had this problem at first, too, but then I realized it was only really happening with the Firefox back button. So I moved the home button to the far left, which bumped the back/forward buttons to the right. No more problem :P
(you could also just insert a spacer to the left of the back button)

Bazon
November 11th, 2011, 11:35 PM
In Firefox, you can go backwards by using the 4th mousebutton (which I do on my sofa-computer) or the backspace key (which I do on my netbook, after setting "browser.backspace_action" = 0 in about:config [type in URL-bar]) or you use something else than unity (which I do).

Larkspur
November 12th, 2011, 12:52 AM
How many times a day do you accidentally bring up the Unity bar?

Zero (I use the upper left corner as the reveal edge).

BigSilly
November 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Actually, I've now shifted the cluster of Firefox buttons (back, forward, refresh and home) to the right side completely, and I have to say I really like the change. It makes sense insofar as the buttons are directly above the bookmarks folder now, and after scrolling down a page you don't have to travel right across the screen for the back button should you need it. It's a pity you can't change this in Chrome.

Hopefully the Unity devs will look into this as a possible change for the future for all browsers on Ubuntu, since it's mostly the browsers causing the issue. As a user I'm reluctant to permanently change the Unity bar behaviour. Not because I'm afraid or anything daft like that, but because generally I prefer the default autohide. It's how I used to use AWN.

What think?

Canis familiaris
November 12th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Have to say this was the first thing I did, disable the autohiding and set it to "Never" in CCSM. And yeah change the backlighting to toggle, that "Always On" thingy irritates me as well.
I wish I could set Unity to always show the menu and not merge the title bar with the panel bar when the Window is maximized. Haven't figured out that part though.