PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I safely upgrade to 11.10?

Comp_Lex
November 9th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Hello,

I want to know whether I can safely upgrade my 11.04 installation to 11.10 or not. The reason why I want to know that is because I got a warning from the upgrade program, which is the following: "Warning, your graphics hardware may not be fully supported by 11.10. You might have issues after performing the upgrade". The message was something like that in my native language.
I'm running 11.04 on very old Intel hardware (82865) and it has been running Ubuntu nicely for the last couple of years now. I have already read that the classic Gnome is gone in 11.10 and thus I have the following question: What can I expect after upgrading to 11.10? Will I have some issues?

kind regards,

Alexander

darkod
November 10th, 2011, 12:11 AM
If you can, download 11.10 and burn a cd. Boot with the cd in live mode (Try Ubuntu option) and see how it runs. If there is any hardware incompatibility running the live mode should show it.
If live mode runs OK, most probably the new system will too.

Another option: Leave 11.04 since you are happy how it runs. In six months, in April 2012, the new LTS version 12.04 comes out. Then you can consider doing a clean install of the latest LTS version over your 11.04.