PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu login only displays a black screen with the mouse pointer

mansonthomas
November 9th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hi,

I've not used my kubuntu for approximatively 2 or 3 days as I was playing GTA IV on my windows partition. At last logon, I did a aptitude update;aptitude full-upgrade. I'm using Kubuntu 11.10 with a Nvidia 8800 GTX on a core2duo.

I've boot on it tonight, I found the overall boot quite slow compared to every days, I get the login screen properly in the correct resolution, enter login password, I've the animation that display the loading of components, a bit slower than usual, and then I get the black screen with the mouse pointer, which move. right click clik doesn't do anything.

hitting any keys of the keyboard do nothing.

I've logged on a console (CTRL+ALT+Fx) and check the logs but didn't find anything obvious...

Any idea of how to debug that ?

mister_playboy
November 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I had a similar problem after recent updates (I ended up with the default wallpaper and the cursor, but nothing else) and I was able to solve the issue by deleting the ~/.kde folder.

This will require you to have to rebuild your desktop panel and kickoff favorites menu, but I found that took less time than trying to solve the problem more elegantly :P