PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I re-install 11.04 over 11.10?

blueguns
November 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I know that sounds a little odd but, since installing 11.10, I have had nothing but problems.
I played with Linux in the past but until Ubuntu 11.04 I never considered migrating away from windows. 11.04 ran nearly perfect for me. It was fast, easy to learn, and wound up being my main operating system.
When 11.10 came along, I thought"great, an even better Ubunbtu".
I was wrong. Or, 11.10 is the wrong distro for my machine. It is so slow, I find myself booting back into XP to get anything done. Ugh.
My question is, can I re-install 11.04 without losing my work data?

Frogs Hair
November 9th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hello and Welcome

If you move home to its own partition your data will be safe . A web search would help with getting that done and there are members here that do that as well .

Otherwise you will have to create a backup on a removable device . I have begun to use Ubuntu One cloud storage , they supply 5 Gb of storage for free . I keep no music on the hard-drive so this works great with a limited amount of data .

blueguns
November 9th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hello and Welcome

If you move home to its own partition your data will be safe . A web search would help with getting that done and there are members here that do that as well .

Otherwise you will have to create a backup on a removable device . I have begun to use Ubuntu One cloud storage , they supply 5 Gb of storage for free . I keep no music on the hard-drive so this works great with a limited amount of data .
Frogs Hair,

Thank you for both the welcome and the guidance.
I don't have the free time I once had so it may take me a while to get this done.
Thanks again

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a
shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. -John Adams