PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Ubuntu? I'm ready to return to Windows 7!

jack rooster
November 9th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I posted this in the beginner's forum but the thread was immediately closed because it was in the wrong forum so I'll try putting it here and see what happens

Original message:

What happened to Ubuntu? I'm ready to return to Windows 7! A few years ago I used Ubuntu for the first time (version 7 or 8 on a Pentium II or III with 512 RAM) and it was rock solid. I used it 16 hrs a day for 3 months and loved it. I even started developing my own distros.

I recently got a Lenovo Ideapad S10-2 netbook with Windows 7 and used Windows 7 for the first few months. A few weeks ago I finally got around to installing Ubuntu on it and have had nothing but trouble. It locks up constantly and I have to restart my computer several times a day with the power button.

There is no pattern. Firefox crashes. Chromium crashes. Midori crashes. Banshee crashes. VLC locks up when trying to play a playlist I created with VLC just minutes before. Switching a video to fullscreen in VLC produced 2 images. The CPU constantly maxes out and I have to wait quite awhile before the computer begins to respond once again. Empathy cannot connect to my gmail account although Thunderbird has no problem. I go to sleep listening to audiobooks and have installed 2 different autoshutdown programs to suspend my computer (gshutdown and complexshutdown) and neither of them works. I've tried to install my favorite Windows game (Diablo 2) with Wine, Playonlinux, and Winetricks and it still does't work. Panels don't autohide all the time. Running XP in Virtualbox used to work. Now it aborts on startup no matter how many times I reinstall it (XP).

I've been a Windows systems administrator for over 15 yrs and have used every version of Windows since 1993 starting with 1.0 before it hit the markets with Windows 3.1 (except Vista) and I've never had this many problems. On my netbook running Windows 7, I installed over 100 additional applications, utilities, and add-ons. When one app was thinking I'd just switch to another.I could have Openoffice running with 8 windows open, Firefox with 15-20 tabs open, Calibre, Ebook reader, Notepad, Windows Media Player, and several other apps all running at the same time. It was slow but it worked. With Ubuntu, when one app is thinking I have wait a couple of minutes before the computer would respond again. The other day it locked up with only Rhythmbox and Aisleriot solitaire running after a fresh reboot (the 4th time that day).

Going back to Ubuntu 8 is an unrealistic option though it would probably work. I'm thinking about trying 10.04 LTS. Now I see the attraction of Macs (although I'd never own one). They just work. So did Windows 7.

PS: Let's see if this will get past the forum censors

Elfy
November 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM
It'll get moved.

It is just yet another thread complaining.

If you have support needs then post a support thread - not a list of complaints.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8920811&postcount=1

nothingspecial
November 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Thread moved to Testimonials.

bluexrider
November 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM
If I had those same issues I would leave too. Wave to Bill through the windows.

Juan Largo
November 9th, 2011, 08:41 PM
You know there are other Linux distros, right? You have a lot more choices than just Ubuntu and Windows 7.

I would suggest using one of the "lightweight" versions of Linux, like Puppy or Damn Small, and get acquainted with that before moving up to the big leagues. I began my Linux adventure with Knoppix, which will run on just about any computer. I never would have tried to install a distro like Ubuntu, Fedora, or Debian right off the bat.

TBABill
November 9th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I won't go into details since this isn't a support request or support sub-forum, but it sounds like you may have MUCH better luck on that older machine if you log out, then log back into Unity 2D. Trying to use 3D may be over-taxing the machine to a crawl...it did on mine.

If you have issues you can't resolve and Ubuntu isn't cutting it, something lighter is probably best for an old and underpowered machine. Lubuntu may work magic for you and you have the exact same underpinnings to play with to keep you comfortable administering the system. Just my $0.02.

jack rooster
November 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm logged in using Gnome Classic with no effects

techvish81
November 9th, 2011, 09:16 PM
how you are using it? are you dual booting with windows 7 , how you installed it? what r your system specs?

jack rooster
November 9th, 2011, 09:16 PM
This computer is only 2 yr old. I chose ubuntu because it has a large user/support base and it has lower system requirements than Windows 7, yet Windows 7 ran much better on my netbook. I am living and traveling in Latin America and downloading and installing ubuntu in Internet cafes is expensive. As I mentioned, I am thinking about trying 10.04 LTS, but first I am thinking about installing the LXDE and XFCE desktop managers on top of my current installation before trying Lubuntu. Believe me I really like Ubuntu. Version 8 was fantastic!

BillyBoa
November 9th, 2011, 09:18 PM
The truth is that in Linux world, all the addicts like to use the most state of the art, bleeding edge or I don't know how you could call the newest versions of the OSs. So don't be a victim. Just use the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS version which is the only one recommended for users, who they don't like to spend all their day, tweaking a computer. If you like just to work and nothing more, this is it. After one and a half year of development 10.04 is perfect. 11.10 is a nightmare, but ..... we like it.

Jacobonbuntu
November 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM
...actually I think we are taking this thread too seriously...

Be serious, if you were happy with your your OS, just tried another OS that does not work whatsoever (as described), what would you do? register and take the trouble to repeatedly post about your problems? I dont think so. you would return to what worked. And a system administrator?

come on, the man is trying to keep us busy

3rdalbum
November 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
You've got yourself some bad RAM in that machine. Windows works fine because it keeps up to 2 GiB reserved for itself, and never uses all that RAM; if the bad RAM is within that reserved space, it'll never get accessed.

Linux actively uses as much RAM as possible, making it much more likely that some data will be stored in any bad spots.

Hardware problem, not Linux's fault. Replace your RAM.

jack rooster
November 10th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I've made arrangements to spend tomorrow night at a friend's home who has an Internet connection to download and install 10.04 LTS. Would it be worth it to try installing the XFCE or LXDE desktops on top my current installation first? I initially installed Ubuntu because I thought that because of it's lower memory requirements it would be be faster than Windows 7. (I like to run a lot of things at the same time)

In answer to previous question:

System specs:

Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache
1GB of PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz
10.1 inch LCD (1024x600 resolution)
Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
Intel 945GSE chipset
160 GB WD Scorpio Blue WD1600BEVT (5400RPM) 2.5 inch SATA II hard drive
Broadcom 802.11b/g Wi-Fi

Installation method:

I've installed Ubuntu so many times I don't remember exactly how I got where I am right now. I started with Windows7 with two partitions. After clearing enough space I then installed Ubuntu from a Live CD using Gparted. With this method I ended up with Ubuntu and its swap partition between the two original NTFS partitions. Somewhere along the line Windows was completely removed so that my now system boots directly into Ubuntu (no menu to select Windows 7) I think I manually deleted all of the windows files.

To those who think I am just complaining: A search Google for "Ubuntu 11.04 crashes" returned over 2 million hits. A search for "ubuntu 11.04 freezes randomly" returned 1,690,000 hits. Obviously there is a serious problem with latest releases.

Here's something from a blog I just encountered:

"Remember the big Ubuntu 10.04 Freeze back in 2010?

My Ubuntu computer has begun to freeze out of nothing. It has been happing since I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I am not the only one: A Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up Ubuntu Forum thread has since 10th May 2010 gained 881 entries (August 2010 count) and the Ubuntu 10.04 random freezes Launchbad thread reaches 165.

Keyboard, mouse, screen and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace freezes and only a hardware reset seems to be available for getting me back. The frequency is around once a day or more often. It is not possible to reproduce. There is nothing to look for /var/log/kern.log, /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog. The upgrade to 10.04.1 did not fix it. It has been happening with Linux 2.6.32-24-generic kernel and previous versions. It is happening on an older Dell laptop which I recently installed with 10.04. I have another Acer Aspire One with Ubuntu 10.04 that does not have the problem. It was originally installed with 9.10. I doesn't seem to be tied to a specific use of an application. "System > Admin > System Testing" does not led to any useful crash or information.

There have been loads of suggestions on the Internet for why this is happening:

Bad RAM. But it worked before?
The new ext4 file system. And, yes my file sytem ext4 (see with df -T). Before it was ext3. So what do I do?
Nvidia driver. Well the graphics card is Intel 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML.
64 bit issue. No, I am running 32 bit.
Compiz with all its flashy effects. Perhaps.
ACPI. Perhaps. databubble suggests "noapic nolapic acpi=off" as kernel parameters during boot. When I introduce "acpi=off" my mouse doesn't show up in X... Wow what a bug.
Etc."

end of blog

I just checked out the thread mentioned in this blog thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787) and it is now up to 182 pages!

Jacobonbuntu
November 10th, 2011, 08:03 PM
To those who think I am just complaining: A search Google for "Ubuntu 11.04 crashes" returned over 2 million hits. A search for "ubuntu 11.04 freezes randomly" returned 1,690,000 hits. Obviously there is a serious problem with latest releases.

If your post was meant seriously, I think I should appologize.
however.....
about the hits on google: I believe you forgot the "" in your search.....

I get on "ubuntu 11.04 freezes randomly" only........ 5 results!
on "Ubuntu 11.04 crashes" only 8200

quite neat figures!

"windows crashes" (with quotes) 3.9 million
bicycle on windows (non sense obviously) 66 million

be aware of the way google search functions, and that word combinations give results for all words

zero244
November 10th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I would venture a guess, especially since it is a laptop it is your video card or more precisely your video card drivers causing the freezeups.
If you can get the right drivers for your video chipset your problems will probably go away.
Take our word for it........there is nothing wrong with Ubuntu........it wont work perfectly on every computer.......but it does a pretty good job overall on most machines.

PS: You might try 10.04 or 10.10 and see if they work better on your setup.

jack rooster
November 10th, 2011, 11:57 PM
downloading 10.04.3 lts right now

themadhatter
November 11th, 2011, 12:29 AM

Jack,

I'm going to bet that the problem is at least partially caused by the Intel Graphics. From what I've heard and experienced, Intel has had problems getting their graphics drivers right (check out the articles on semiaccurate.com about Intel graphics).

I had a similar problem at one point, moving to an older distro solved it. I later was able to upgrade to the then current distro by installing an ATI graphics card. The built in Intel graphics were the source of the problem.

Of course with a Netbook that isn't possible.

Wayne

Tamlynmac
November 11th, 2011, 01:52 AM
jack rooster

Just some information. Support runs out on 10.04 in 2013 and I'd recommend you try Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/). One could always just download both .iso and burn a couple of discs (or put them on a stick). Testing both OS's prior to install. Both will run from the disc or stick and this would give you an opportunity to assess each before committing.

You may also wish to look at Kubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/). I'm a firm believer in testing and evaluating all options prior to deciding on any one.

Good Luck with which ever decision you make.

IWantFroyo
November 11th, 2011, 02:15 AM
If you're having problems with 11.10, 10.04 should work perfectly. It's really still my favorite release to date.

Good luck!

3rdalbum
November 11th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Keyboard, mouse, screen and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace freezes

Control-Alt-Backspace does nothing anyway, unless you map it to a command.

Bad RAM. But it worked before?

My computer worked fine for a while without crashes. The crashes started to develop and then eventually got worse. Taking out the original two RAM sticks fixed the problem. A friend's computer worked fine for about a year before refusing to start up, eventually I found out it was a bad RAM problem with his original RAM sticks.

If you open up the computer and find Kingston brand memory inside, my money's on it being the problem.

jack rooster
November 11th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Still downloading. 1 transmission server error, 2 transmission crashes, and 2 firefox errors (both times over 90% complete! Internet service in Mexico not Ubuntu).

I went to find the Intel graphics drivers. They only list two fedora drivers for my chipset (Intel 945GSE)

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/embedded/hwsw/software/iegd#download.

jwbrase
November 11th, 2011, 06:00 AM
thread moved to /dev/null

what happened here ?

Just a random troll. You'll notice that he's not forum staff (their names are displayed in red).

Anyways, as to your problems with Ubuntu: Linux's small install base means that not all hardware manufacturers write Linux drivers for their products. Depending on the exact hardware configuration of your computer, you may be using devices for which only community-developed drivers are available, which, if the manufacturers don't provide complete specifications for their devices, can mean that the drivers may not be of the best quality (since the manufacturers are keeping information about how to develop drivers to themselves and the community has to experiment and see what works).

The upshot of this is that you'll have better luck with Linux on some machines than others. Sometimes changing distro's or versions can help. Sometimes it won't. The first machine I tried Ubuntu on worked fairly well at first, but then developed graphics problems when I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 because ATI had stopped writing Linux drivers for the graphics card in that machine (that card has also had issues on Windows, especially with OpenGL, which Linux uses exclusively, since DirectX is proprietary to Microsoft).

If you really seriously want to use Linux as your primary OS, I'd recommend buying a machine from a manufacturer that sells machines with Linux pre-installed. Not only do you avoid driver issues, but also setup hastle and mistakes you might make (there were a few other issues with that first Linux install I ran, and looking back I think some of them were from me not quite understanding what I was doing). I bought my current machine from System76 and have been very happy with it (and have had none of the issues that I had with that first install that I did on my own).

Grenage
November 11th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I'm with 3rdalbum, at the very least you should be running memtest; how convenient that it's a bootable option in Grub. When I say run memtest, I mean really run it; leave it going overnight or at the very least, a couple of hours. That probably won't be necessary - your issues sound like it's truly wrecked.

jack rooster
November 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Before you go, or to anyone else for matter, any ideas about the video drivers? The more I thin about it, the more likely it seems to be the culprit. Sometimes the buttons for the open windows don't appear until I pass them mouse over them. Also the way the mouse still moves while everything else is locked up and the music keeps playing. I don't need Ubuntu enough to buy new RAM. I've been living and traveling in Latin American for the past several years on a musician's budget after 15 yrs working in the industry.

kurt18947
November 11th, 2011, 09:48 PM
You're running a netbook. I think your best choice would be either Lubuntu or maybe Xubuntu rather than a heavyweight distro. If the default apps are not to your liking you can change them. I had a similar machine and distros up through 10.04 (when I killed it) worked very well but if it were me I'd try Lubuntu or Xubuntu if you want to use a release newer than 10.04. Of course making sure your RAM isn't sick is an excellent idea.

mörgæs
November 11th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I would suggest using one of the "lightweight" versions of Linux, like Puppy or Damn Small ...

Again Damn Small Linux is mentioned in a thread where many beginners are posting.

This is most unfortunate, and I have to correct this: Don't install DSL (or any other obsolete/abandoned Linux project) no matter what. Since bug fixes have not been released for several years such an installation is one big security hole.

mastablasta
November 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Slitaz though is a continuation of DSL sort of with fully active developmnet.

Nightstrike2009
November 13th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I would suggest Bodhi Linux (Ubuntu based) It uses a minimal install and Enlightenment as a User interface, I personally am very impressed by it.

viperdvman
November 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
If he's running a netbook with the older single-core Intel Atom N270, then yes, the newest Ubuntu might have some problems since it's running the newest GNOME 3 (already heavy on resources on par with KDE Plasma). The newer N450/455's running the stronger Intel GMA 3150 might run better.

I can't really say for certain since my netbook runs an AMD "Nile" V105 with the ATI Radeon HD 4250... strong as hell graphics. And it runs Oneric almost if not perfectly, even with the open-source "radeon" driver.

I too would recommend running either Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Xubuntu gives you an experience closer to what you experienced in the '07 and '08 versions of Ubuntu, while Lubuntu would give you something closer to a Windows experience... and both are light on resources (Lubuntu even more so), perfect for any netbook, low-end or high-end.

Off-topic...responding to mörgæs (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=939075)'s post... If DSL is a dead distro, then go with one of the versions of Puppy Linux. That one is always being developed, and I personally like running it on older computers :)

Hope you can work things out :)

Intrepid Ibex
November 13th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I would suggest using one of the "lightweight" versions of Linux, like Puppy or Damn Small, and get acquainted with that before moving up to the big leagues.
DSL? Really? Did you walk in here from 2008?

Follow your time, it's development has stopped and Tiny Core has taken its place: http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/welcome.html

FerroPower
November 14th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I would like to tell the poster if he is comfortable with windows 7 and loves it to the core why bother to try and install ubuntu when you are having issues with your hardware.

Buddy Install Windows 7 as you love it, and do a test with LiveCD of any Linux Distro before installing it on your machine so that you can be rest assure everything works.

I am using 2 yr old dell 1545 laptop with inferior Intel GM45 graphics Gnome3 & Unity 3D in Ubuntu 11.10 works flawlessly and I love it the way. by the way I can even play most of windows 3D games much better and faster compare to windows.

Zeelon
November 14th, 2011, 12:13 AM
My computer worked fine for a while without crashes. The crashes started to develop and then eventually got worse. Taking out the original two RAM sticks fixed the problem. A friend's computer worked fine for about a year before refusing to start up, eventually I found out it was a bad RAM problem with his original RAM sticks.

If you open up the computer and find Kingston brand memory inside, my money's on it being the problem.

Had the same thing happen on my daughters rebuilt laptop. I put 2 Kingston sticks in to get 1gig and it did a crash and burn with several Ubuntu based distros. I replaced it with some knock-off 256's to get 512 and it works very well! Interesting!

mörgæs
November 14th, 2011, 12:47 AM
The thread is now spanning much more than a testimonial and/or an experience. Moved to the cafe.

jjex22
November 14th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I can sympathise with the op - my personal windows 7 usage is around 50% these days -It does that holy grail of OS's to just work without the nonsense for me, and I have to admit that Ubuntu has been slipping since 10.10 in that respect - though the out of the box support for function keys was a massive plus for me!

At the end of the day, logically Windows SHOULD be better surely? It's made by one of the biggest and longest running companies in the business, with a very, very large price tag (I'm talking ultimate - let's face it the other versions have features removed to justify this price)

The fact that Ubuntu and the linux community in general has managed to advance to the stage whereby a completely costless OS has similar power (with more native features) is a real testimonial to the devs.

I personally think that 10.10 the high point for ubuntu, but I still prefer running 10.04 or osx to windows - I actually had to spend a day on a vista machine not so long ago... that will really make you miss unity!

BrokenKingpin
November 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Instead of just complaining why not try and track down the issue? Try a different distro and see if you have the same problem, if you do it is probably a kernel issue, if not than maybe something specific to Ubuntu's configuration or Unity. If this is the case maybe try a different variant (Xubuntu).

ssam
November 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
might you be hitting:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/643822
the reports are for the S12, but i guess the S10 is very similar hardware. its more hangs than the crashes you describe though. the work around is fairly easy though.

+1 on running a memory check, just select it from grub, and let it run for a few hours.

on the S12 compiz and unity are a bit slow. xfce is a good choice. you can just install the xubuntu-desktop package, and selected the xfce session at login.