PDA

View Full Version : Which name is given to Ubuntu fans in your country

tuxmarc
November 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hello !
I have just registered in this forum.
I have been a member of the French forum for a couple of years and also a member in Linux Questions, Debian forum, and also a member in a French LUG named Salamandrix.
I have discovered the magic of linux thanks to a colleague.
Since that day, I have been exploring as many distributions as possible, my collection is nearly 100 distributions rich.
In a French magazine, I could find for the first time Ubuntu 5 but was not able to surf with it because there was no wifi support. My computers are located in my workshop and trying to drill the floor to set a cable is too tricky.
When I heard that wifi support was included in 7.04, I have downloaded the ISO and then Ubuntu has been my favorite distribution.
I am currently running on 10.04, plus HybrydeEldoraOS based on 11.04, updated to 11.10 on another partition.
I cannot count how many installations I did either at home or on friends' computers.
The LUG where I am is installing Ubuntus exclusively.

In France, Ubuntu fans are called "Ubunteros".
Hard to know who has invented or copied this Spanish name !

A question has arisen quite recently : how must we call new members of the forum who are ladies.
"Ubunteras" would be the logical choice, options are stil open .
Do you have any special name for ladies in your country ??

Kind regards.
Marc

overdrank
November 9th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hi and welcome, Moved to The Community Cafe. :)

johnnybgoode83
November 9th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Smart people :D

ubupirate
November 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure.

Tried incorporating "Ubuntu" into "American" to start off, but couldn't come up with anything that interesting, lol.

Ubuntucan(s) maybe?

odiseo77
November 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM
In Spanish it's ubuntero (masculine) and ubuntera (feminine), as you have said before.

Regards.

tuxmarc
November 10th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hello !
Thank you for answering.
When registering, I thought I should be on the South African forum, I see I am on the worlwide forum ! Great!
The more we are, the better we laugh \\:D/
@johnnybgoode83
Smart people, good idea !
We can say also clever people :P
@Ubupirate
Well done Ubuntucan sound like bucaneers :lolflag:
@odiseo77
I see that in France we have adopted the new spanish word I am using sponteannouly.
Why not ! Spanish is the language of nearly all countries in South America, the language in Central America and 30% in the US.
Now we shall see how Ubuntu fans are named in Russia, China, Japan, Korea, who knows :P

whiskeylover
November 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Nerds

- a proud nerd.

Thewhistlingwind
November 10th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Nerd

wolfen69
November 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
There is no name here for that, people just say "what's ubuntu"?

ctrlmd
November 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM
arrogant

PuddingKnife
November 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM
newbs.

:popcorn:

tuxmarc
November 11th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Thank you for answering
I see that Whiskeylover (love it too) and the Whistlingwind vote for "nerd"
This word is amazing.
Originaly it means boring, not fashionable, when in the computer language it is the opposite .... although, for non enthusiasts it might be boring, but never not fashionable.
@Wolfen69
When people are asking this, they get a looooong lesson about enormous, gigantic advantages to switch to something free, stable and cool :P
@ctrlmd
but it's the word my wife in using when she complains about her XP and when I grin, saying I have never such troubles :D
@PuddingKnife
Nebws, ok.
We, in French are often using the word newbie ..... for a newbie, but for veterans ?

Phrea
November 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
"People who use Ubuntu."

[The Netherlands]

suomalainen
November 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Mark Shuttleworth is Father of Ubuntu. Mark also wrote a book on Ubuntu. In foreword he states that each and everyone of us are "Ubunteros". Therefore this is only word that may be used. Others are not official.