PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Tile Windows in Unity?

BradleyAtkins
November 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Hi

Can anyone tell me how to tile windows in unity? Do I need to install a window manager or is there any native support built in?

Thanks in advance

Brad

aeiah
November 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
looks like the only tiling capability unity has is when you drag a window to the left/right border. xmonad tends to play well with desktop environments, but i dont know if it works with unity

perhaps the compiz plugin 'grid' will work with unity. this offers some manual tiling capabilities

Copper Bezel
November 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
They're one and the same. The Grid plugin handled by mouse can do maximize and half-screen, but it can also be configured to do quarter-screen configurations. Through the keyboard, you can set a shortcut to throw any window into any quadrant or half. It's, of course, not auto-tiling, which isn't available under Unity. There is a nifty Gnome Shell extension for it, however.

BradleyAtkins
November 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.

The only page I can find on grid is this: -

http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Grid

Seems to be instructions on how too build it for Ubuntu 8.10

Does anyone know of any instructions more recent?

Copper Bezel
November 10th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I don't understand. All the options the Grid has are in the plugin's settings in CompizConfig. It's the second item under Window Management. I don't think there's any documentation, and if it doesn't look like it's going to do what you want it to do, then it might not be the best option, but it's all fairly straightforward.

BradleyAtkins
November 10th, 2011, 08:46 PM
:lolflag:

Was already installed and configured...

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for

Copper Bezel
November 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Very cool. = D