PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] unity applications not showing

bez654
November 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I have recently had a strange problem with unity on 11.10 (I use unity 2D on a netbook).
When I click the launcher button I get the menu screen. However I can only launch the applications with shortcuts on this screen (browser email etc...). No other applications are listed - i.e. pressing the media button does nothing and typing in an application into the search bar brings up nothing. I have waited around 30 seconds but have had no applications listed. The little icon which signify's applications is missing from the bottom of the launcher screen.

I know there is sometimes a lag between pressing the launcher button and showing you all the applications you have installed - i'm not sure why this is but its been present in 11.10 since installation - but not showing any applications is a new problem.

My programs seem to work fine and I can launch them from a terminal. And the shortcut buttons in launcher and the menu screen work fine.

So my questions are: has anyone else seen this problem? How do I reset my unity settings?
I've seen some people mention unity --reset
what does this actually do? i.e. what files does it delete? I presume there are unity settings in one of my .folders in my home directory?
Thanks
John

marinara
November 12th, 2011, 04:49 AM
this is tagged lubuntu. may be why you hve few responses