PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Default desktop choice

Mazate
November 9th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I was recently shown (in this forum) how to make gnome 3 my default desktop. It was a terminal command which did what it was supposed to do. However, what command would I use to make Ubuntu load whatever was the last desktop I was using each time I turn on my computer rather than always default to Gnome 3?

Frogs Hair
November 9th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Unity , the Gnome Shell , and Gnome Fall Back Session all run on top of Gnome 3 in 11.10 . I use Unity and the Gnome Shell and what ever desktop was used last is what boots the next time unless the selection is changed in the login screen .

If auto login was in use it would default to unity unless a command was used to change the default . My installation already does what you are asking (I think) with manual login .

Mazate
November 9th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Unity , the Gnome Shell , and Gnome Fall Back Session all run on top of Gnome 3 in 11.10 . I use Unity and the Gnome Shell and what ever desktop was used last is what boots the next time unless the selection is changed in the login screen .

If auto login was in use it would default to unity unless a command was used to change the default . My installation already does what you are asking (I think) with manual login .

So if I use auto login (which I do) then I have to choose a default? (or keep Unity as the default) It won't just auto login to the last desktop I used before logoff?

Frogs Hair
November 9th, 2011, 05:20 AM
So if I use auto login (which I do) then I have to choose a default? (or keep Unity as the default) It won't just auto login to the last desktop I used before logoff?

I think auto login will use the default , which is Unity . As I remember with 11.04 the default could be changed from login settings , but that GUI is no longer in gnome 3 . Kind of a catch 22 because how would you choose a desktop when you are automatically logging in .

If you auto logged in to Unity logged out and decided to use the shell and then shutdown I don't know if the shell would be selected at next boot . You could give it a try .

oscarivera9
November 9th, 2011, 05:24 AM
I think to do what you want it is necessary to do manual login. Automatic login is exactly that, it logs you in automatically the same each and every time. If you want to login using the last desktop environment that you were using then the only way to do that is by using the manual login, which is what I do. I don't mind having to spend the extra 15 seconds to log in so I use the manual login every time. This also gives me the flexibility to use whichever desktop environment I want when I log in.
Think about it:

Kind of a catch 22 because how would you choose a desktop when you are automatically logging in . I have Unity, Unity 2D, Gnome, Gnome Classic, Gnome Classic (no effects), OpenBox, Gnome with OpenBox, and Xfce Desktop Environment available to me when I turn on my PC. However, unless I want to change my desktop environment, I don't have to decide which one I want, the last desktop environment that I used is automatically the one that loads up every time.
I am not 100% sure, but I am 99% certain about it. In other words, maybe someone will prove me wrong, but I really doubt it. So, if you can then just go back to using the manual login.

Mazate
November 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I think to do what you want it is necessary to do manual login. Automatic login is exactly that, it logs you in automatically the same each and every time. If you want to login using the last desktop environment that you were using then the only way to do that is by using the manual login, which is what I do. I don't mind having to spend the extra 15 seconds to log in so I use the manual login every time. This also gives me the flexibility to use whichever desktop environment I want when I log in.
Think about it:
I have Unity, Unity 2D, Gnome, Gnome Classic, Gnome Classic (no effects), OpenBox, Gnome with OpenBox, and Xfce Desktop Environment available to me when I turn on my PC. However, unless I want to change my desktop environment, I don't have to decide which one I want, the last desktop environment that I used is automatically the one that loads up every time.
I am not 100% sure, but I am 99% certain about it. In other words, maybe someone will prove me wrong, but I really doubt it. So, if you can then just go back to using the manual login.

Ok, well I just assumed it could be done with auto login because it can be done with Fedora. However, it's not a big issue in the end. Thanks for everyone's input.