PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Collaborators on New Software (Finance)

jmadero
November 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Hi All,

First off let me say I'm a coding beginner but am trying to build my knowledge through developing a relatively complex program (built in parts which I have a pretty solid idea of the parts I want).

The program is a finance debt management program. What I've found is that there is no software that is really a complete debt management piece of software. This would include loans, mortgage, credit cards, etc...

What I'm looking for to begin with is someone(s) to discuss the full scrope of the project, including writing the long term and short term goals. Would like someone to help me figure out what's difficult and what's easier to implement, what code we might be able to use already, etc...

I'm looking for people(s) who are comfortable working with a beginner, I'll be referencing google a lot and taking this slow. Basically, patience is a must but I'm willing to work hard to get caught up and learn.

Anyone interested please message me and I'll give my email out. Thanks in advance, hoping this goes somewhere as I've already talked with people who say there is a demand for this.

An Sanct
November 9th, 2011, 01:05 AM
What language/s do you want to use?

trivialpackets
November 9th, 2011, 01:36 AM
First of all, I agree, the language is a good question, but second of all, if you don't get much in the way of responses, you may also want to check out the programming section (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39) here on ubuntuforums.

JDShu
November 9th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I might be interested in this depending on the time commitment and as long as you plan on making it open source.

jmadero
November 9th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Sorry forgot to include the language, planning on working in C++ as that's the language I have the most experience with (which again is pretty damn limited so this is going to be a long term, slow project).

It will most definitely be open source :)

Just to give an idea of the first step of the bigger project that I have in mind. I want to do something similar to what Chase has done with blueprint. I had actually thought of the idea before it was introduced by Chase and always thought it would be really functional. The basic idea is that you can set the # of payments for each individual transaction in a credit card and then the program will tell you how much to pay each month taking into account cummulative interest and the # of payments per item. I would want a really nice, sleak (probably a bit more resource intensive but I like good looking software), easy to use UI and the ability for a single credit card for phase #1.

Obviously phase #2 would be adding multiple credit cards.

From here I have a lot of other ideas to add to the program but from my understanding you take these big projects in steps so phase #1 I think is a good starting point. I'm pretty good (I would say better than pretty good) at conceptualizing math for programming so I think I could tackle that relatively easily. The rest, well, that's where I need the help, patience, etc...

Also, can I post the same thing in the other section or will the moderators get irritated with me for double posting, I don't usually post in Ubuntu Forums and I know over in Linuxforums it's a big no no to double post. Thanks to all who have posted, hope I can get some of you on board

JDShu
November 9th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Take my 2 cents with a grain of salt because I am by no means an experienced developer... but if I was doing a project like this, I would use Python over C++ particularly because you can leverage Numpy and SciPy which probably has all the tools you want and need.

jmadero
November 9th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I'm pretty hesitant to leave C++ since I have no experience with Python....but if this is a consensus I can think about it more. I appreciate the input

DangerOnTheRanger
November 9th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Take my 2 cents with a grain of salt because I am by no means an experienced developer... but if I was doing a project like this, I would use Python over C++ particularly because you can leverage Numpy and SciPy which probably has all the tools you want and need.

+1 to Python. You don't have to mess around with static typing, segfaults, or any other of C++'s numerous problems; plus, you get a much cleaner syntax, and better standard library. Additionally, with NumPy, you get C++'s number-crunching speed as well.

I've had around 2 1/2 years of real-world Python experience, and over 6 programming in general, so I really can't say I've seen everything. However, as far as I've seen, Python beats everything in terms of "just doing what you want it to do" without having to fiddle around with low-level things like pointers and segfaults.

Elfy
November 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Closed - duplicate in PT.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1877980