PDA

View Full Version : Apps to Workspaces you use?

honeybear
November 8th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hello,

Simply sort of poll.

How do you organize your X11 workspaces?

Example, mine for the moment:

4 workspaces
Workspace 1 : Kopete for chat
Workspace 2 : Kedit (bash, python, ...) for coding and for work
Workspace 3 : Tuxcmd, the best filemanager ever for linux
Workspace 4 : and finally music here on this last one with Amarok (and multimedia)

I am considering maybe to move to 6 workspaces.

:popcorn::popcorn:

wewantutopia
November 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM
1 workspace w/ 2 monitors for everything.

3rdalbum
November 9th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Call me disorganised, but I just switch to a new workspace when I have windows open and I need to see the desktop, or I have lots of windows open and things are looking cluttered.

Copper Bezel
November 9th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Usually one for things I always want running in the background (mail and my music player), one for personal stuff, one for work stuff, and then a new one for any task that's going to require a number of windows, like image editing or flipping through a bunch of documents.

When I have a second monitor connected, it's usually only running one app, whether that's a browser, a movie player, etc. (Not always, but usually.)

Of course, there are differences depending on whether I'm using Gnome Shell or Compiz, but in the main, I do the same things under Shell - they just work better. = ) Since Shell treats the second monitor as its own, static workspace, it doesn't change when I switch workspaces on the primary display, and the on-demand workspaces are well suited to the "and whatever else I'm doing" use case. On the other hand, since Shell doesn't use minimizing, I have one more workspace running than I would otherwise; the mail client and music player would just be minimized under Compiz.

Edit: And I should say that Shell's workspaces being task groups, rather than physical places, also encourages the way I deal with workspaces. I was resistant to it initially, but it's really how I worked with them all along, so it's become a case of, Get out of my head, Gnome devs.

IWantFroyo
November 9th, 2011, 03:13 AM
1: Homework
2: Virtualization
3: Web browsing
4: Whatever (system conf files, random programs, etc.)

honeybear
November 9th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Call me disorganised, but I just switch to a new workspace when I have windows open and I need to see the desktop, or I have lots of windows open and things are looking cluttered.

what are the advantages of keep it Ordered-way?

cgroza
November 10th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I use a tilling WM so my need for workspaces is reduced a little.
I generally put everything I need at the moment on the first workspace, and throw skype, torrent managers and pending terminal tasks on the second terminal.

ratcheer
November 10th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Cool question. I actually do use a pattern, but I thought I was crazy.

Top left - Firefox and KeepassX
Top right - Terminal
Bottom left - Whatever game I might be playing
Bottom right - Other things, such as the GIMP, Nautilus, ...

Tim

Copper Bezel
November 10th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I noticed today between classes that I had seven workspaces in use (one to four apps running apiece) and thought of this thread. = ) Shell's definitely changed my habits here a bit. (I only ever used to use four under Compiz.)

zer010
November 10th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Workspace 1: Firefox and whatever I'm working on...
Workspace 2: Thunderbird, Pidgin and other....

mamamia88
November 10th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I only really use 1 workspace with everything on it with window switching via compiz scale and clicking on icon in the dock. even though it is fun to click the icon occasionaly just to see the effect

cespinal
November 10th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I have configured my KDE to open apps on defined workspaces:
1) Launchers, skype, messaging, music.
2) Web browser. Opens up in fullscreen mode.
3) Email. Opens up in fullscreen mode.
4) I have a bunch of RSS widgets to check different news sources. I also ise this workspace for office work and for running Mixxx

Bazon
November 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm not sorting by Applications, but by contexts!
(What's why Unity's Application-centric approach rages me... :evil: )

I'm a teacher, and on my netbook I use 6 workspaces (ws) as follows:

1. ws: private
2. ws: school general
3. ws: physics middle class
4. ws: physics high class
5. ws: mathematics middle class
6. ws: mathematics high class

This setup gives me a very effective environment, everything I need in this context is only one click away in the taskbar (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1877037).

BrokenKingpin
November 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM
1 workspace w/ 2 monitors for everything.
Same here on my machine that has two monitors. Using workspaces with two monitors does not make sense to me.

On my media center plugged into my TV I have two workspaces. The first has XBMC and other media applications open (such as gPodder). The second has a web browser and anything else I need to manage the system.