PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Good Ubuntu linux desktop environments other than KDE and GNOME?

AprilModdy
November 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Are there like any other really good desktop systems available for Ubuntu other than KDE and GNOME--like lol I just installed the OS on VirtualBox just to try it and both UIs have shortcomings, KDE is somewhat unsightly with all of it's huge widgets on the taskbar..

sanderd17
November 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM
What gnome have you tried? Version 2.x or 3.x? There is also fallback mode in version 3, and both, unity and unity2D are based on Gnome.

Apart from that you have LXDE (a light one), XFCE (something between LXDE and Gnome 2), Mate (a fork of Gnome 2), Openbox, fluxbox, HerbstluftWM and some others.

Currently I'm working on Gnome Shell 3.2 and I really like it.

Maybe you do want to google a bit, because I can't give them all.

haqking
November 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Are there like any other really good desktop systems available for Ubuntu other than KDE and GNOME--like lol I just installed the OS on VirtualBox just to try it and both UIs have shortcomings, KDE is somewhat unsightly with all of it's huge widgets on the taskbar..

Aesthetics are a personal thing and often customisable.

What do you mean by shortcomings ? be more specific.

And you can use xfce, lxde, fluxbox, gnome shell........

snowpine
November 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Any desktop can be infinitely customized, check out http://kde-look.org for example.

Personally I like Gnome, Openbox, Fluxbox, and Ratpoison.