PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Local offline repository

fixerdave
November 8th, 2011, 04:45 AM
A couple of questions:

1) ballpark, just how big is the entire (including source code) multiverse repository? I mean everything.

2) would it be possible to make my very own personal mirror of this repository?

I'm toying with the idea of making my own mirror, then setting up a personal PPA to use it for systems I work with. Downloading 100GB or so at work is no big deal and I could easily dump it to an external drive. Then, I'd have it even where there was no internet connection. Every once in a while I could re-sync the mirror to keep it up to date.

Possible? Reasonable? Pointers?

Mostly just curious at this point,

David...

1clue
November 8th, 2011, 04:52 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu+mirror+howto

fixerdave
November 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM
okay, I just learned 2 things:

1) Google does a better job of searching the forums than the forum search does. Yes, feeling suitably chastised - i should have googled. As an aside, even my question came up in the google search -- that's just scary-fast.

2) that imgtfy link is pretty cool. When I regain my smugness, I might just use it :)

Oh, I also answered my other question: not counting source, it appears the repositories are about 15GB per platform. At least they were a few versions back. Not bad at all. So, I think I'll whip up a VM of a mirror, complete with web server.

Thanks, I think, maybe...

1clue
November 8th, 2011, 05:35 AM
OK, now I can amplify:

I looked into this awhile back and did exactly what you did, different distro, and got exactly the same reply.

As soon as I posted, I felt a bit guilty for being such a smug @$$#073. Glad you took it as well as you did, I'm not usually that rude about it. Maybe it was vengeance at that other guy.

Google is the Microsoft of search engines. As much as I love to hate them, they're the best engine I know of. I keep asking myself why web site search engines can't be as good as google at searching their own sites, but then if that were the case then there would be thousands of Google sites.