PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What is with Ubuntu 11.10, With no Network.

irv
November 8th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I tried installing Ubuntu 11.10 four times tonight, and every time it comes up with no Network.

I know how to fix the wireless, but I need a Wire connection to do it.
Every install will find and setup the network card on the install CD, but as soon as it boot into the OS in has no network connection. In fact it can even find the eth1 card. I had to boot into another OS to post this thread.
Is there a way to fix this?

I went into the network setting but I can't see where to set this up. I know the mac address, and all the setting but no where to put them in.

I can't even install any network software without getting connected first.

irv
November 8th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I will mark this thread solved even though I had to fix it the hard way. I installed 11.04 so I could get a network on the wire to setup my wireless. Now that I have it going I will just do an upgrade to 11.10 or maybe just wait until 12.04 beta comes out next month. I planned on doing some bug reporting on the next release.

irv
November 9th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Well, I had 11.04 running great so I did all the updates and did a upgrade to 11.10 before it finished upgrading I started getting errors. Then I lost my network connection so I couldn't send bug reports. Then I tried to do some screen shots but I couldn't write to the hard drive.

After the computer rebooted I did have a wire connection so I got my wireless going again. I am using 11.10 now, but I am waiting for some issues to pop up. I sure do hope 12.04 has some of these bugs ironed out before the final release.

I still plan on doing so bug checking on the beta releases.

jcrivera
December 29th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm a total noob. I just built my first computer, and I over spent a little so I have no funds for Windows 7 at the moment, so I'm trying out Ubuntu. I'm sad to say that I am not impressed, mainly because of the fact that it apparently does not like to have a network connection, and I haven't been able to find any solution on the forum. I may try and install the 11.04 version you mentioned.

grahammechanical
December 30th, 2011, 02:47 AM
@jcrivera

Please do not resurrect old threads. If you want help then please create a new post for yourself. If you want to express an opinion then please express it in the community cafe section.

I built this machine that I am using. The motherboard had wireless built in and since I purchased a wireless router/modem two years ago I have never had any problems with getting a wireless connection.

If you do not buy a machine with Windows already installed you may find that after you have purchased Windows 7 it too may not work with certain parts of your hardware. This is why hardware makers have to provide Windows drivers with their products. As did the maker of my motherboard.

I am sure that with your motherboard you also got a disk with Windows Drivers on it. Did you not? If hardware makers also provided drivers for Linux hardware compatibility would be less of an issue.

So, you are unimpressed with an operating system and programs that you got without charge and that is not developed by a multi-billion dollar corporation.

I am a different kind of person. I am impressed with what the developers of Linux and Ubuntu are achieving and I am thankful as well.

Regards.

irv
December 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'm a total noob. I just built my first computer, and I over spent a little so I have no funds for Windows 7 at the moment, so I'm trying out Ubuntu. I'm sad to say that I am not impressed, mainly because of the fact that it apparently does not like to have a network connection, and I haven't been able to find any solution on the forum. I may try and install the 11.04 version you mentioned.

First, This thread is not even 2 months old, so it is not that old. If you are looking for some help, then pleas do post a new thread. Tell us your specs on you wifi card and maybe we can help get it going.

Yes I had problems with 11.10, but I did get it going. It was a bug but I found a work around. Right now I have 11.10 working find, and am testing 12.04 and so far it's looking good. Still has some bugs but it is only in the Alpha, and we have to go to the Beta versions before the finial release.

Like it was said, Ubuntu developers have done a great job with this distro of Linux and I plan to stay with it. Give it a chance and you will find it much better then any Windows product.

Oh ya, if you do start a new thread, come back to this one and post a link so we can find it and help you.

kurt18947
December 30th, 2011, 03:44 PM

You might also find Mint 11 or 12 more to your liking as an inexperienced desktop Linux user. I found Mint to have its peculiarities and don't have it installed but for a new user familiar only with Windows Mint has something to recommend it. If you do go that route, get the DVD that has codecs and (I think) better driver support with a fresh install. New users who just think of Ubuntu/desktop Linux as free Windows are going to be disappointed.