PDA

View Full Version : Ever run into someone running Ubuntu?

mamamia88
November 8th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I went to get my netbook hooked up to campus wifi today and the guy at the counter was able to get the right settings easily for me because his laptop was running ubuntu. Also at the brewpub the other day while working on homework the guy next to me commented about how he uses ubuntu and went on raving about how much he loves it. It's nice to know you aren't alone.

Smilax
November 8th, 2011, 02:05 AM
i'm active in the couchsurfing world,

hosted someone who was going for a job interview, and they used ubuntu!

meh_phistopheles
November 8th, 2011, 03:14 AM
i was at the library once and i heard these kind of annoying people talking really loud first about linux, and then about chess. at first i was like "wow, i have a lot in common with these people. i should probably say hi or something." but instead i went over and asked them if they could please be quiet... it just wasn't meant to be :(

haqking
November 8th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I ran into someone running once, hurt my knee and my forehead ;-)

PapaGary
November 8th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I ran into someone running once, hurt my knee and my forehead ;-)
HOOT!

Thanks a lot. I laughed so hard I blew Diet Coke out of my nose!

what a mess....

as2000
November 8th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Once. At the library and he was running the same identical eee as mine. I helped him with his wireless as he was struggling with it. In the end, he took my suggestion and ordered a new wifi card....on my computer!

mamamia88
November 8th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Once. At the library and he was running the same identical eee as mine. I helped him with his wireless as he was struggling with it. In the end, he took my suggestion and ordered a new wifi card....on my computer!

that is cool. forgot to mention that all computers at my local libraries run ubuntu now

lisati
November 8th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I often carry my reading glasses on an Ubuntu lanyard, and sometimes wear an Ubuntu t-shirt: both have prompted comments from people, usually from people wondering what it means, but once or twice from people who knew what it referred to.

/me makes mental note to self to follow up on some work-related stuff relating to uniforms and office keys.

Triblaze
November 8th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Quite a few people in the school programming club use Ubuntu. Other than that I haven't seen many.

Copper Bezel
November 8th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I noticed one student on my community college campus running Ubuntu, and I pointed a Fedora / Gnome Shell user at my local coffee shop to Gnome Tweak Tool. That's about the extent of it.

DangerOnTheRanger
November 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I ran into this one guy using Ubuntu once 6 months or so ago. I think he was using it to project something.

duke.tim
November 8th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Yep, I met a girl running ubuntu in school. The others I've ran into are from college but they are pretty much all new to the system.

Nixarter
November 8th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I've actually ran into numerous people who run ubuntu. Most of them have been coworkers. Intelligent people (when combined with tech fields) and linux appear to be mutually inclusive.

missmoondog
November 8th, 2011, 01:40 PM
nope!

have never ran into anyone else running linux, let alone ubuntu. :(

satanselbow
November 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I know a few macbook users who want to but aren't that brave :popcorn: I'm reluctant to shout too loud about helping them out as I have little experience with macs - a big knowledge gap :(

frncz
November 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Very rarely, but yesterday I came across this, http://oliverobrien.co.uk/, which I was pleased to see, because I think this guy's work is really cool, and now I know he uses Ubuntu.

3Miro
November 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
At the University where I work, we have a large number of RedHat machine and a few Ubuntu ones. I visited a national lab recently and most of their machines were either Mac or Ubuntu. On various conferences that I would go to, it used to be the case almost everybody would be using Mac, but more and more often I see people with Ubuntu.

Recently I sold and bought two machines on Craigslist. When I went to pick one the computer (and old machine I wanted to use as a file server), the guy had 10.04 installed on it. Later on I sold a nice 4-core build that I had for work and I advertised it as coming with 11.10, the guy that came to buy the machine was another Ubuntu user.

I think the number of people using Ubuntu is growing, not as fast as we would like it to, but growing nevertheless.

chrisbarnes1992
November 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM
When i was in college there was a teacher using Ubuntu on a server and for his net-book. A few of my friends on the same lass ran Ubuntu as well at one point. No shock when your in a room full of geeky IT students.

However there was 2 other i saw running Ubuntu. One of them was using his laptop on the the train using Ubuntu. He said it was wonderful never gone wrong for him. Apparently the first thing he did was get rid on windows when he discovered how much he liked it.

The other one was when i did a memory upgrade for someone and he was using Ubuntu. He only surfed the net, check his emails and played a game or 2 form the software centre. He said it does the job with any chances of getting viruses or it crashing. Fair Point to him.:D

anaconda
November 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM
yep. most people at work use it.

But we all still have to pay for windows too. (the company has some kind of a deal with Microsoft, and so we have paid windows licenses for everyone)

The funny thing is: If you choose to run windows you don't have admin rights, and wont be able to install anything to your own computer. Cant even adjust the screen saver activation time.(can be really annoying if you want to keep a presentation and the screen-saver kicks in and locks the computer eg iin the middle of a video)
but if you use Ubuntu you are the admin, and can do whatever you want to do :)

In addition to that many of us actually have to use some programs that only work in ubuntu.

Nixarter
November 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Ohh, I forgot. I don't know if this counts, but at work we only use OpenOffice, though the OS's are all windows.

Roasted
November 8th, 2011, 09:42 PM
One time I was at Best Buy and ran into an older gentlemen talking with an employee. He was purchasing a 1 TB hard drive for his home theatre system. I was in the aisle browsing when I heard Ubuntu mentioned. Of course my ears perked up so I got curious and listened in more. The customer was talking about all of the things he liked about Ubuntu. I thought for sure the Best Buy employee would do the whole "Windows 7 is fantastically awesome" speech but he didn't. In fact, he agreed, and went on to describe all of the things he's used Ubuntu for. Before long, all three of us were having a conversation about various Linux distributions, what we used them for, what we liked, didn't like, thought highly of, etc.

jespdj
November 8th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I'm a software developer and yes, I do run into people who run Ubuntu. I even know companies where the developers all have Ubuntu running on their desktops, and they work with it every day to develop software for the company they work for.

johnnybgoode83
November 8th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Just today I ran into someone who has used Ubuntu from 7.04 to 10.04 and then jumped ship to Windows 7 because he tried to install it on a 2nd partition but his bootloader would only boot Windows.

cortman
November 8th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Anyone ever run over someone running Ubuntu?

johnnybgoode83
November 8th, 2011, 11:27 PM

Once but I don't want to talk about it.

trivialpackets
November 9th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Like many, a few times in college, and in my IT groups I work with a few people who use ubuntu.

Some of my funniest moments though, came as a result of wearing my ubuntu hat. I still remember getting stopped in a grocery store by some kid who was probably about 15 years old to comment on my hat. His comment..."Ubuntu, yeah!". It was a little awkward sure, but the fact that it totally embarassed my 10 year old son...so worth it. :)

szymon_g
November 9th, 2011, 01:53 AM
couple of months ago /maybe a year?/ i run on a guy using ubuntu on his laptop in local library.
so now i know that there are other people using linux on PC ;)

Shining Arcanine
November 9th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I went to get my netbook hooked up to campus wifi today and the guy at the counter was able to get the right settings easily for me because his laptop was running ubuntu. Also at the brewpub the other day while working on homework the guy next to me commented about how he uses ubuntu and went on raving about how much he loves it. It's nice to know you aren't alone.

Sometimes, yes. It would be nice to run into someone using something like Gentoo Linux/FreeBSD, Fedora Linux or FreeBSD for a change.

trivialpackets
November 9th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I worked for a short period for a company that was running a proprietary software on a gentoo server, mainly because the person who set it up only used gentoo, so he did the same for the server.

One thing I will say, it was still running after he'd been gone a while.

3Miro
November 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM

No, just windows users.

coldraven
November 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I left my Ubuntu hat on the bus and nobody handed it in. So someone is running around wearing it!

rg4w
November 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I run into people using Ubuntu every month - at my local Ubuntu Hour. :)

We schedule it to take place just before the local Linux User Group, where, oddly enough, the majority of people there are running Windows and Mac.

SadisticCheeto
November 10th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Most of my encounters have just been hearing the startup sound around me. It was obvious to me what operating system they were using. On Monday, in my software engineering class, one of the teams presented their software prototype on Ubuntu. I thought that was pretty cool, and I wondered to myself how many people knew what it was, despite it being a computer science course where more people are likely to know about Linux.