PDA

View Full Version : One thing that I found interesting...

trivialpackets
November 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I own several ubuntu clothing items, including hats, lanyards, shirts etc.

I don't think I would ever spend any $ on any wearable items for OSX or Windows. Maybe it's probably because I already pay out the arm for them? IDK. Sure I have a couple of T-shirts gained as swag throughout the years, but I've never purchased anything. Just a semi-random thought that I had.

collisionystm
November 7th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I own several ubuntu clothing items, including hats, lanyards, shirts etc.

I don't think I would ever spend any $ on any wearable items for OSX or Windows. Maybe it's probably because I already pay out the arm for them? IDK. Sure I have a couple of T-shirts gained as swag throughout the years, but I've never purchased anything. Just a semi-random thought that I had.

Its all part of the brain washing...

If something is given to you for free and you made it your own, you are more prone to want to take care of it and spend money on such a thing.

I am sure no one here would hesitate to throw a few bucks to a support call or an Ubuntu sweat shirt. They gave you a free OS... why not?

But here is the genius part. Ubuntu is freely developed by millions of people all over the world because it is given to use as free software. One company collects any 'donations' we give for it.

Think about it.. call me crazy but I know how this works. I just wish I could explain it better. Its a genius idea and thats why It works. its all in how something is advertised. Ubuntu could be horrible and people will still want it because it is flashy and free. It is community driven and it creates friendships so why not buy ubuntu stuff to show off your colors. Why not buy support to help you in a pinch when your server wont get off the ground?

Freakin genius.....

Collecting money from a global army of free developers.

fatality_uk
November 7th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Its all part of the brain washing...

If something is given to you for free and you made it your own, you are more prone to want to take care of it and spend money on such a thing.

I am sure no one here would hesitate to throw a few bucks to a support call or an Ubuntu sweat shirt. They gave you a free OS... why not?

But here is the genius part. Ubuntu is freely developed by millions of people all over the world because it is given to use as free software. One company collects any 'donations' we give for it.

Think about it.. call me crazy but I know how this works. I just wish I could explain it better. Its a genius idea and thats why It works. its all in how something is advertised. Ubuntu could be horrible and people will still want it because it is flashy and free. It is community driven and it creates friendships so why not buy ubuntu stuff to show off your colors. Why not buy support to help you in a pinch when your server wont get off the ground?

Freakin genius.....

Yes, because Canonical get the clothes, mouse mats, bags all for free as well so it's ALL pure profit, must be. I think they also get the servers the forums and web sites sit on for free. Oh not to forget the printing and repro of the CD's, that's all fee too.

Oh and the staff that work for Canonical, I am sure the I read somewhere they pay to work for Ubuntu. Not much, just about $50 a month, but hey it all adds up. No wonder Mark Shuttleworth could afford that space trip, sheesh!

Like you say "Freakin genius....."

collisionystm
November 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, because Canonical get the clothes, mouse mats, bags all for free as well so it's ALL pure profit, must be. I think they also get the servers the forums and web sites sit on for free. Oh not to forget the printing and repro of the CD's, that's all fee too.

Oh and the staff that work for Canonical, I am sure the I read somewhere they pay to work for Ubuntu. Not much, just about $50 a month, but hey it all adds up. No wonder Mark Shuttleworth could afford that space trip, sheesh!

Like you say "Freakin genius....."

Another sheep among the flock

Paqman
November 7th, 2011, 10:29 PM

DNFTT kids.

collisionystm
November 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM
dnftt kids.

:ks

koenn
November 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Freakin genius.....

yes, it is.

you seem to be rather negative about it - all that talk about brainwashing and sheep ...

Aren't businesses supposed to make money anymore ?

collisionystm
November 7th, 2011, 10:42 PM
yes, it is.

you seem to be rather negative about it - all that talk about brainwashing and sheep ...

Aren't businesses supposed to make money anymore ?

Of course they are supposed to make money.

I am just commenting on the OP's explanation of his inclination to purchase Ubuntu products but not Microsoft or OSX.

Hence the reasoning for any of my post statements.

I agree business's should make money. In fact, they have too. Its just the way the world works.

I guess it was just a way to describe his motive to purchase Ubuntu products.

Sorry for being an <snip> everyone.

Stovey
November 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I guess I would be more inclined to buy Ubuntu clothes because the OS is a pleasure to use, and I am proud to use the OS. And it is nice to give something back to the OS that is given freely to me.

Actually, I would really like to buy the Ubuntu hoodie but I don't really see the logo anywhere. It just looks like a plain grey hoodie.

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=767

collisionystm
November 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I guess I would be more inclined to buy Ubuntu clothes because the OS is a pleasure to use, and I am proud to use the OS. And it is nice to give something back to the OS that is given freely to me.

Actually, I would really like to buy the Ubuntu hoodie but I don't really see the logo anywhere. It just looks like a plain grey hoodie.

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=767

its on the zipper and the left arm at the bottom.

Stovey
November 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
its on the zipper and the left arm at the bottom.

Yeah, but I was sort of hoping for a big Ubuntu logo right across the chest. Kinda like the t-shirts.

I am guessing that most regular non-IT people wouldn't recognize the Ubuntu logo anyhow. A few people would maybe say "that looks nice, what is it?". And then you'd have to explain Ubuntu and they'd look at you funny, and be sorry they asked. And maybe on a rare occasion, someone would say, "Hey, you use Ubuntu!? I use Ubuntu too!"

I would like to buy one of the coffee mugs too, those look awesome.

PS - now that I think about it, I went to order a hoodie and a mug one day not too long ago. But a "Launchpad" account is required to order, so that was sort of an impediment.

Atamisk
November 8th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I find it amusing that the guy going on about about canonical making money and calling people sheep has a fedora logo for an avatar. The cold fact of life is that all the big distros are pretty much in it for the money.

Also, i see both sides of the coin. Yes, Canonical deserves to make money for the hosting and continued support of Ubuntu. However, i really wish there was a way to donate directly to developers. Then again, a good deal of Canonical expenses is toward supporting dev efforts, isn't it?

Mikeb85
November 8th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I see lots of cars in the Starbucks parking lot with Apple stickers on the back...