PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10, enless problems, pick one.

mdocod
November 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM
As I type this, I don't even get to see the results of my typing. At some point, after opening CCSM to have a look around, and having made no changes, the system suddenly starts acting like the apocalypse. I've got a hard drive that won't stop grinding away, output errors all over heck (no continuous updates of onscreen activity). Laggy horrendous performance of basically everything. I can get screen updates by using the mouse to move the window, which will update the contents of the window.

Not to mention (general problems plaguing this new unity crap):
No menu for access to apps/utilities.
No wine exe's access through dash, and of course, no wine menu.
Aparantly no way to get my desktop cube back without causing a tear in the universe.
2 click restarts are now 3 clicks, why why why WHY?!??!?!

I've re-installed 11.10 4 times now, I really don't want to go for a 5th. Seems like each install self destructs and falls apart within the first 4 hours of using it.

On the last install, it self destructed when i tried to get cube working.

So far it seems like copmiz is all around a totally incompatible thing here on unity. So with that in mind, how do I get some control over the look and feel of unity?Or is there no such thing as customizing unity?

Eric

[edit in] I am now running in "classic" mode, which would be great, accept that this isn't anywhere near classic. No panel control, no admin/preference menus, no way to even launch the CCSM controls anyways, No way to add or remove panels. Who are they thinking they are going to fool with this?

Hardware:
CPU: Propus 635 AM3
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3 1600
GPU: GTX460-768MB
MOBO: Biostar A770E3
HD: Sammy F3
Monitor: 21.5" 1080P Sammy.

ajgreeny
November 7th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Have a look at the stickies at http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

You could also give up on unity and try Xubuntu.

Kenneth D. Gladden
November 7th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I Agree with you. Ubuntu has been going downhill since
ver. 9.10

cybergalvez
November 7th, 2011, 09:28 PM
As I type this, I don't even get to see the results of my typing. At some point, after opening CCSM to have a look around, and having made no changes, the system suddenly starts acting like the apocalypse. I've got a hard drive that won't stop grinding away, output errors all over heck (no continuous updates of onscreen activity). Laggy horrendous performance of basically everything. I can get screen updates by using the mouse to move the window, which will update the contents of the window.

Not to mention (general problems plaguing this new unity crap):
No menu for access to apps/utilities.
No wine exe's access through dash, and of course, no wine menu.
Aparantly no way to get my desktop cube back without causing a tear in the universe.
2 click restarts are now 3 clicks, why why why WHY?!??!?!

I've re-installed 11.10 4 times now, I really don't want to go for a 5th. Seems like each install self destructs and falls apart within the first 4 hours of using it.

On the last install, it self destructed when i tried to get cube working.

So far it seems like copmiz is all around a totally incompatible thing here on unity. So with that in mind, how do I get some control over the look and feel of unity?Or is there no such thing as customizing unity?

Eric

[edit in] I am now running in "classic" mode, which would be great, accept that this isn't anywhere near classic. No panel control, no admin/preference menus, no way to even launch the CCSM controls anyways, No way to add or remove panels. Who are they thinking they are going to fool with this?

Hardware:
CPU: Propus 635 AM3
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3 1600
GPU: GTX460-768MB
MOBO: Biostar A770E3
HD: Sammy F3
Monitor: 21.5" 1080P Sammy.

Don't blame ubuntu, Gnome ditched gnome2 not them, and unity is a very nice UI, very close to gnome3 but sufficiently different to be unique and slightly easier to use for the novice user, although after using both unity and gnome3 I now prefer gnome3. I will admit it's pretty easy to gork your system with ccsm. If you want to "classic" look and feel of the old gnome2 move to xubuntu, its stable and will give you look you want.

drawkcab
November 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I've given up on both compiz and unity. If you want to run compiz I suppose xubuntu is the way to go.

mdocod
November 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Went ahead and reinstalled it again, this time i'm not going to even install CCSM, I'll just try to live without my precious cube.

I think I have it figured out: UNITY does have a purpose.... To drag down a quad core custom built desktop machine to the level of a smartphone.

ubuntu software center runs so painfully slow that it gives me memories of running Mac OS X on a 400MHZ G3, actually, worse than that. This is a disgrace, yes I'm going to keep complaining.

critin
November 8th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I run 11.04 in 2D and it works fine. I'm testing 11.10 in another partition. I wonder what version you were using before? Did you like it? I chose to give this new one time to settle down by not getting rid of my previous one too fast. It's very new you know.