PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terminal does not use system keyboard layout after upgrade 11.04->11.10

dr_jb
November 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Using dvorak keyboard layout since dapper ...

After a recent system upgrade, the terminal reverted to qwerty. Everything else on my system appears to use dvorak. I log in, browse the web, edit with gvim using the dvorak layout. However, when I fire up a terminal it uses qwerty.

As a workaround, I added "setxkbmap dvorak" to my .bashrc file. But I would like to understand why this is happening and how to fix it.

CJ-1990
November 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I am sorry to respond without help for your current problem, but I would like to offer some advice for the future :)

Whenever possible it is always a much better option to do a fresh installation of a new distro... Internal upgrades can be a pain in the **** alot of the time as you've found out the hard way...

I found out the hard way too a few times lol... But I stumbled onto the advice I just gave you on a forum...
I did a fresh installation and updated through command prompt, and it all worked smooth as me on a saturday night after a few drinks in me :P

I'd recommend backing up whatever you want to save on there and doing a fresh install, it may fix your problem...

I hope you find a good answer soon dood :)

CJ

dr_jb
November 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I am sorry to respond without help for your current problem, but I would like to offer some advice for the future :)

Whenever possible it is always a much better option to do a fresh installation of a new distro... Internal upgrades can be a pain in the **** alot of the time as you've found out the hard way...

I found out the hard way too a few times lol... But I stumbled onto the advice I just gave you on a forum...
I did a fresh installation and updated through command prompt, and it all worked smooth as me on a saturday night after a few drinks in me :P

I'd recommend backing up whatever you want to save on there and doing a fresh install, it may fix your problem...

I hope you find a good answer soon dood :)

CJ
Cheers CJ. Thanks for the advice I'll take that into consideration.

I've been using the upgrade process for several releases now and they have been generally very reliable and hassle free. As for my current problem, I already have a workaround in place. A fresh install would be akin to using a cannon to kill a mosquito.

What I'm really interested in is learning more about what specifically went wrong and how to "fix" it so that it doesn't happen again and to others.

CJ-1990
November 7th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I know exactly what you mean dood, I'm always looking to get to the root of any problem I encounter, to learn more about why it happened in the first place :) Which is why I am now trying to install Mint 11 on my external HDD, not because I NEED it, because I want to, I love to learn :)

As for the upgrading, more power to you dood :) I personally have found the internally upgrading to be a pain in the derrière, but that's just my personal experience... I love a fresh new install honestly :P Nothin like that new distro smell haha

Unfortunately I can't help you this time, maybe next time :) But stay positive aye, I had my question basically solved in a matter of an hour, this site has an amazingly helpful community :)

You'll be back to normal in no time :)

CJ