PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SSH server disconnecting

stormthirst
November 7th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I've recently installed v11.10 as a fresh install on an old PC. It's working and everything seems to be functioning properly. Originally I had it set up with a dhcp address. I've changed that to a static address, and now the SSH server keeps dropping my connection after what feels like less than a minute of inactivity. This is obviously suboptimal. Worse, when I try and re-connect it usually takes a minute or so before I can log back in via ssh. I temporarily changed it back to a dhcp address and everything returns to normal.

I've added:

LogLevel DEBUG

to the /etc/ssh/ssh_config file, but there's nothing relevant in the syslog.

I've looked through the man pages, and checked this forum and googled for a solution, but nothing seems relevant.

How can I get more information to try and work out where the problem lies?

papibe
November 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hi stormthirst.

When you changed to a static IP, Did you restart your server? (because if you don't the dhcp client process was probably still running and trying to change your IP).

Also, Does your router supports DHCP reservation? I find myself easier to set an static IP on the router and leave the default configuration just as it is.

Regards.

stormthirst
November 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I rebooted the PC when I changed the IP address.

My router does support reservations - and for the most part I do use them. However, the server will soon be handling local DNS queries, and DHCP itself rather than the router, so it needs to go over to a static address.

papibe
November 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Interesting.

An idea: May be it is a DNS problem?

I would try this: set your server to a static IP, and then in the client add an entry to /etc/hosts for the server. Something like:

192.168.1.10 your_server
That way the client won't have a doubt which one is the server's IP.

Also, I would try connecting using the zero configuration style:

ssh your_user@your_server.local

Just some thoughts,
Regards.

stormthirst
November 7th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Doh! I've found the problem: IP address conflict!

I'd pinged the new address before changing it over to make sure, but hadn't turned on the media streaming device which was on the address. Neither the PC nor the media device told me there was a conflict.

*sigh*

Thanks for your help anyway!

papibe
November 7th, 2011, 05:43 PM
:D Glad you solved it.

Kind Regards.