PDA

View Full Version : Sadly, I'm going to have to leave (K)ubuntu

StephanG
November 7th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Sadly, after much internal wrestling, I have decided that I cannot retain my health and continue to use linux as things stand.

So... I will spend the forseable future booting into windows. And, when I have killed enough dragons in the land of Skyrim, I SHALL RETURN!

Seriously though, is anyone else as excited about this game?

3Miro
November 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Oblivion, Dragons Age and Starcraft II run pretty well under Linux, only Starcaraft has an occasional glitch, the others run just as well as on Windows. I thought I would have to dual-boot with those three, but I don't. Skyrim will probably not run out of the box on day 1, but give it couple of months and wine will be fixed where you will be able to run it under Linux.

koleoptero
November 7th, 2011, 01:43 PM
If my puny little laptop could run skyrim I'd be joining you StefanG. Alas that's not the case.

crazy bird
November 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Sadly, after much internal wrestling, I have decided that I cannot retain my health and continue to use linux as things stand.

So... I will spend the forseable future booting into windows. And, when I have killed enough dragons in the land of Skyrim, I SHALL RETURN!

Seriously though, is anyone else as excited about this game?

And what are your problems? Besides not able to boot into Windows (if that is your problem).

thenixedreport
November 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
If my puny little laptop could run skyrim I'd be joining you StefanG. Alas that's not the case.
VirtualBox does allow you to use 3D acceleration. Have you tried that?

koleoptero
November 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM

LOL

You missed my point.

I have an intel 915gm card. I can't even play most 2005 games, let alone skyrim. And I meant natively in xp no vms or wines.

3Miro
November 7th, 2011, 02:31 PM

There is no way you would be able to get enough 3D acceleration to run something like Skyrim. I tried it with Morrowind once (Morrowind is #3 in the series, then you get Oblivion as #4 and Skyrim as #5), Morrowind that has graphics from 2002 would barely run. Only wine has the capabilities of running a modern 3D game under Linux (and then you should get Nvidia video card, ATI is iffy and Intel will not work at all).

BrokenKingpin
November 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
This is why I got a PS3... no way I am going to live in Windows for one game.

StephanG
November 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Oblivion, Dragons Age and Starcraft II run pretty well under Linux, only Starcaraft has an occasional glitch, the others run just as well as on Windows. I thought I would have to dual-boot with those three, but I don't. Skyrim will probably not run out of the box on day 1, but give it couple of months and wine will be fixed where you will be able to run it under Linux.

Actually, I think it will be considerably sooner than that. It seems Skyrim is using a lot of the same technologies that went into Fallout 3, and also only requires DirectX 9. So, I won't be surprised it it "almost" works on day 1, with a workaround within the month.

And what are your problems? Besides not able to boot into Windows (if that is your problem).

No, I don't really have a problem, otherwise this would be in one of the other support categories.

This was meant in more of a tongue-in-cheek jibe at the fact that despite everything Linux can do, and the hordes of people who seem to be in what I can only describe as "denial" it still has a problem on the gaming scene. DirectX 9.0 came out in 2002, and Phoronix recently published an article about free software drivers hopefully having full OpenGL 3.0 support next year, which would allow it to use the same functionality in DirectX 9.0. Again... 2002.

3Miro
November 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Actually, I think it will be considerably sooner than that. It seems Skyrim is using a lot of the same technologies that went into Fallout 3, and also only requires DirectX 9. So, I won't be surprised it it "almost" works on day 1, with a workaround within the month.

Awesome news!

No, I don't really have a problem, otherwise this would be in one of the other support categories.

This was meant in more of a tongue-in-cheek jibe at the fact that despite everything Linux can do, and the hordes of people who seem to be in what I can only describe as "denial" it still has a problem on the gaming scene. DirectX 9.0 came out in 2002, and Phoronix recently published an article about free software drivers hopefully having full OpenGL 3.0 support next year, which would allow it to use the same functionality in DirectX 9.0. Again... 2002.

Things are not that bad. The proprietary Nvidia drivers do give performance compatible to Windows and the proprietary ATI aren't too bad either (never worked for me, but other people like them). It wasn't until recently that both ATI and Nvidia released the specs needed to make FOSS drivers. Also, it wasn't until fairly recently that Intel got the capabilities to run any decent graphics (and they dropped the ball on the first batch of Sandy Bridge graphics).

What I am saying is, this is not really the fault of the FOSS community.

StephanG
November 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Things are not that bad. The proprietary Nvidia drivers do give performance compatible to Windows and the proprietary ATI aren't too bad either (never worked for me, but other people like them). It wasn't until recently that both ATI and Nvidia released the specs needed to make FOSS drivers. Also, it wasn't until fairly recently that Intel got the capabilities to run any decent graphics (and they dropped the ball on the first batch of Sandy Bridge graphics).

What I am saying is, this is not really the fault of the FOSS community.

I know it's not really that bad.

It's just that I have a tendancy to always jump to someone's defence if I think they're being treated unfairly. And for a long time, I've disliked Microsoft. But, I do think they deserve some recognition. They saw the impact a kit like Direct X could have, eons before anyone in the FOSS made a move to attract gamers. And, some of their technologies are actually fairly impressive.

I just hate to see people hating something that could enrich their lives. So, occasionally, I just want to remind people that Microsoft isn't really the devil. Their just another big company that wants to make money, like every other big company on the planet.

Retlol
November 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I tried running WoW and SC2 under Linux, while it works, the performance is lacking.