PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update Crashed-Need Help getting Windows to boot

Garland Fox
November 7th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I am a total newbie.
I crashed the wife's 'puter.
She had HP s5107c desktop
dual boot Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit / 10.04 Lucid 32 bit.
Single 320 mb hard drive, AMD dual core X2 2200, 3 gb RAM,
Nvidia 6150 SE graphics.

Upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 and rebooted - no problem.
Then started upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04.
Approx 30 min prior to finish- computer crashed and would not show a grub or boot either OS.

I was able to get windows 7 booted by using the HP windows 7 upgrade disk that was used to upgrade from Vista to 7.

However, the windows file system was scrambled, none of the installed programs worked, had lost wireless internet connection, and the win 7 recovery had found "windows files" and saved them in "windows.old" directory. That included system files and personal data mixed. Was unable to load wireless driver so had no internet. Could not boot linux.

Next, I tried running a 10.04 live cd and it would barely run.

At this point Windows would no longer boot.

Next, I ran a 11.10 32bit Oneiric live cd which functioned well so I installed it. With that I have my wireless back with internet.
I get no grub boot menu to try windows now.

I am working to recover about 50 gb of data from the Windows.old directory, then I need to figure a way get windows up and running again as well as keeping the 11.10.

The only windows disk I have is the HP upgrade disk from vista to win 7.
The HP recovery partition on the computer is lost. empty.
The windows partition hold a windows and windows.old directories that booted once.

My problem is that I do not know how to use or investigate the grub, or best way to proceed from this point. I need windows back up and running.

Again - I am total newbie.
Any idea for direction would be appreciated.(About getting windows back)