PDA

View Full Version : Why I Hate Long Threads

SteveDee
November 6th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Can someone convince me that long threads on Ubuntu forums are a good idea?

When searching for something, you inevitably get one or more mega-threads listed (e.g. those with 100+ posts spread over 10+ pages).

And the only way to see if these threads contain that spark of information you are desperately looking for is to wade through all posts.

...Or is there a way to go straight to the page (or preferably the post) within the mega-thread that contains your key-word?

Larkspur
November 6th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Yep. On the advanced search page or the drop down search, you can choose to have results displayed as posts ("Beans")

Paqman
November 7th, 2011, 12:04 AM
...Or is there a way to go straight to the page (or preferably the post) within the mega-thread that contains your key-word?

Er, howzabout the "search this thread" button? Up on the top right of the thread.

JoshuaMiller0
November 7th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I think you should be a ble to set the pages to "simple mods" so you can hide all signatures adn change all tect to default. this would speed up scannong through.

aysiu
November 7th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Support threads for technical issues should absolutely not be megathreads. If you spot a support thread that is 1000s of posts, report it to the mods, and we'll take a look at it.

Discussion threads are actually better as long threads. God knows we don't need twenty separate threads about Revolution OS or about patent trolls. But, yes, if you are looking for a specific keyword in a discussion thread, it's far easier to do so within one megathread than through the whole forum among many threads.

Sef
November 7th, 2011, 09:05 AM
God knows we don't need twenty separate threads about Revolution OS or about patent trolls.

That is why we have Recurring Discussions.

robert shearer
November 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM
You can also use this in your favourite browser...

site:ubuntuforums.org
and follow it with your search terms or even specify a thread and search terms...for example try...

site:ubuntuforums.org Unity megathread. gnome-session-fallback

LowSky
November 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM
There is a thread in the Mythbuntu forums for a tuner card. Its a mix of troubleshooting and how-to's. It has gotten so long because every version of the card adds a new issue, and every new Kernel causes a new problem to match. In all it's one of those threads that should be that long.

fatality_uk
November 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Er, howzabout the "search this thread" button? Up on the top right of the thread.

What Paq said. I use Thread Search to drill into long thread. Usually works a treat!