PDA

View Full Version : Who here has tried Windows Mobile 7?

waloshin
November 6th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Who here has tried Windows Phone 7? And did you like it?

LowSky
November 6th, 2011, 11:36 PM
where is the option for NO?

kaldor
November 7th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I used it at a store for a few minutes. I really like the idea of the Metro thing, but I find some of the UI elements and ideas to be just horrible. iPhone (iOS) still beats the competition for me as far as UI is concerned.

inobe
November 7th, 2011, 04:52 AM
didn't like it, it has nothing on webOS, that says a lot.

ctrlmd
November 7th, 2011, 05:55 AM
i own samsung focus
and its windows phone 7 not windows mobile
windows mobile died this is different

overcast
November 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I'm no fan of tiles interface to be honest. Though i like the rest of the UI. iPhone UI is overhyped and it's good to see something new other than ios and android.

fatality_uk
November 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Not too bad to be honest. Works well.

BrokenKingpin
November 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I haven't used it myself, but it looks pretty decent. I don't think it really has anything over Android though. I think the OS itself could compete with Android and iOS, I just think they are too late to the game.

Mikeb85
November 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Windows Phone 7 is ok, unique and cool idea, but most of the apps for it I've seen haven't really used the 'live tiles' to good effect, and you wind up with over sized, bright buttons, and you still have to open an app to see info you want.

If developers and manufacturers really got on board and developed the live tiles to their full potential, it could be a great UI, but manufacturers haven't put much effort behind WP7, in part because of it's technical limitations and tight controls. This in turn leads to a lack of developer interest, which leads to an inferior overall experience.

If WP7 could run on the range of hardware that Android does, and developers really use the live tiles to maximum effect, it has the potential to be great, but right now it isn't. But the re-sizable widgets on Android 4.0, and the flexibility Android offers means that the market who would go for WP7's live tiles, already have an option which is superior in every other respect anyway.

What we're seeing in the phone market right now is how open source compares to closed source, when both start on equal footing... The result, Android is #1 by a longshot (40-50 percent plus in most markets, ever increasing), WP7 is very, very far behind (1-3 percent in most markets, barely moving).

Even iOS, which started ahead of Android, is now behind, and when ICS becomes the default Android offering, it will continue to lose ground.

dpny
November 7th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Even iOS, which started ahead of Android, is now behind, and when ICS becomes the default Android offering, it will continue to lose ground.

iOS has 62% of mobile OS market share. Android has ~19%.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/01/ios-market-share-balloons-in-october-android-climbs-to-no-2-mobile-os/

That said, MS looks like they've done a good job with Windows Phone 7, apart from the awful name. Question is: too little, too late?

Dragonbite
November 7th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I would love to get to try one, just to see what it's like.

That said, I don't have a Droid or an iPhone so I would be looking at it with a different pair of eyes than a lot of people who do have experience with these.

I think the flexible version is an interesting gimmick, but limited in its usefulness.

ctrlmd
November 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I would love to get to try one, just to see what it's like.

That said, I don't have a Droid or an iPhone so I would be looking at it with a different pair of eyes than a lot of people who do have experience with these.

I think the flexible version is an interesting gimmick, but limited in its usefulness.

you can unlock it if you are developer with ChevronWP7

Mikeb85
November 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM
iOS has 62% of mobile OS market share. Android has ~19%.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/01/ios-market-share-balloons-in-october-android-climbs-to-no-2-mobile-os/

That said, MS looks like they've done a good job with Windows Phone 7, apart from the awful name. Question is: too little, too late?

If you include iPods and iPads in that equation... But counting old iPods in your market numbers makes about as much sense as counting Blackberries or Symbian devices. http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/04/comscore-as-smartphone-usage-increases-android-continues-to-gain-u-s-market-share/

Android smartphones have been outselling iPhones 3-1 this year... And Android currently holds a 40% or more smartphone market share in just about every country. Guaranteed - once Android 4.0 becomes default on most new phones, the lead will widen considerably.

dpny
November 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM
If you include iPods and iPads in that equation... But counting old iPods in your market numbers makes about as much sense as counting Blackberries or Symbian devices. http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/04/comscore-as-smartphone-usage-increases-android-continues-to-gain-u-s-market-share/

Android smartphones have been outselling iPhones 3-1 this year... And Android currently holds a 40% or more smartphone market share in just about every country. Guaranteed - once Android 4.0 becomes default on most new phones, the lead will widen considerably.

You missed the point: counting Android phones and not counting all iOS devices is like counting Linux desktop market share by only counting Debian-based distros. Alternately, it's like counting Android market share by only using one phone manufacturer. This is important because claims that Android will "widen its lead" over iOS are based entirely in fantasy. iOS is, by far, the most popular mobile OS in the world. Yes, more Android phones are sold by all Android manufacturers than Apple sells iPhones, but the iPhone is only one device that runs iOS.

My point is, if we're going to discuss things like the popularity of OSes, let's at least make sure out statements are grounded in fact and not wishful thinking. Secondarily, celebrating the success of Android over figures which do not show overall OS user share is not celebrating F/OSS success, but F/OSS propaganda.

Mikeb85
November 8th, 2011, 12:28 AM
My point is, if we're going to discuss things like the popularity of OSes, let's at least make sure out statements are grounded in fact and not wishful thinking. Secondarily, celebrating the success of Android over figures which do not show overall OS user share is not celebrating F/OSS success, but F/OSS propaganda.

How many of those devices are used for anything other than music? How many ever see daylight and aren't stuffed in a sock drawer? Should we really consider historic devices as representing the current market? If my girlfriend has a broken iPod in her drawer does that really count?

What does count is how many devices are being sold today. And how many devices are actually being used today.

dpny
November 8th, 2011, 12:42 AM
What does count is how many devices are being sold today. And how many devices are actually being used today.

Your assumptions seem to be based on wishful thinking, unless you can show me some stats as to how many of those devices are "stuffed in a sock drawer." As to how many of those devices get used to connect to the internet, take a look (http://www.netmarketshare.com/):

iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod) 61.5%
Android 18.9%
Java ME 12.8%
Symbian 3.5%

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system) also offers a number of stats.

Why is this important? Because if you want to celebrate the success of F/OSS in the mobile OS world you need to look at more than who's selling the most phone quarter-to-quarter. You need to look at things like which mobile OS is actually used to connect to the internet more than others. You need to look at things like which mobile OS vendor is the most profitable (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395951,00.asp#fbid=XcBrGxZz-D6). You need to look at which mobile OS vendor has the highest customer loyalty, which has the most return customers, etc. Because, if you don't, you may end up cheering a pyrrhic victory.