PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu will not boot after install with Vista

gwatts
November 6th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Ubuntu will not boot after installing with Windows Vista. Vista starts.

Installed Ubuntu 11 10 to dual-boot with Vista and using Easy BCD.

View Settings >:

Vista > C:\boot loader path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Linux > C:\boot loader path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Is this correct? I can boot Windows Vista but not Ubuntu.

darkod
November 6th, 2011, 05:30 PM
And why don't you just use grub bootloader? It can boot both ubuntu and windows, just what you need.

gwatts
November 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM
darkod

Thank you. Can you tell me more as to how? I have made at least 6 installation and used almost every combination of selections in BCD and each time I have to repair Windows to boot anything.

darkod
November 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
1. Don't use BCD. I am not sure if you can simply remove it and whether that will return your original windows bootloader configuration. Don'y worry if the computer boots vista directly and doesn't show option for ubuntu, that is easy to fix.

First remove BCD and all entries it has made.

2. When you have achieved that vista boots directly, reboot the computer with the ubuntu cd in live mode (try ubuntu mode), open terminal and execute:

sudo fdisk -l (that's small L, not 1)

That will show you the partitions on the disk. You will have two linux partitions, the root and swap (unless you manually created more). Most probably root is /dev/sda5, it's the bigger partition. If it's not sda5 change the number as needed. To install grub to the MBR of your disk, execute:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

That should install grub to your disk /dev/sda and it will offer option to boot both ubuntu and windows.

If you have any questions just ask.

gwatts
November 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
darkod
I really appreciate your prompt response.

I selected sda2 (I could not tell which partition is which) but after the first command it said to specify the filesystem type. ??

So I redid the commands selecting sda5 and multiple errors occurred. I had to power down with pages of errors and Vista came up with no boot selections.

I have 2 Vista partition plus 1 16Gb plus 1 or more 4GB swaps (seemed like it created another
swap on 1-2 Ubuntu installs of Ubuntu).

Next?
Next?

darkod
November 6th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Looks like it's the 16GB partition. You can also post the results of:

sudo fdisk -l

here and it should show more info.

gwatts
November 6th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234441648 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000694ee

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 87891614 43945776 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 87891966 128680649 20394342 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda3 128680653 234441646 52880497 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda5 87891968 120291327 16199680 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda6 120294783 128680649 4192933+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

darkod
November 6th, 2011, 11:41 PM
As you can see yourself you have no Linux partition on the disk. Just a swap partition. The rest are all ntfs partitions.

Is it possible that the root partition was deleted while installing vista?
Did you have a dual boot before that or just ubuntu?

gwatts
November 6th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Yes re /.

I have tried at times to create ext3 and 4.

Always Vista, tried off and on over several years to install Ub but never could get it to boot.

Used several partition managers over the years.

darkod
November 7th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I can't see why it wouldn't work. Here is a suggestion:

1. Move all the data from partition sda5 to the other partitions or an external disk. You can then use tat partition as /.
2. Boot with ubuntu cd and select Install.
3. In the partitioning step select Manual (Custom) to set your own partitions (they already exist).
4. When the list of partitions on the disk appears, click once to select sda5. Under the list click on the button Change...
5. In the windows that opens, change the field "do not use" to "ext4".
6. Set the mount point as /
7. Tick the Format box to tell the installer to format it.
8. Close that window. You do not need to do anything about the swap partition (sda6), ubuntu can see it and will use it as swap.
9. Leave the bootloader option to be installed on /dev/sda.
10. Continue with the install process and you should be enjoying your vista/ubuntu dual boot.

gwatts
November 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Thank you, I will respond tomorrow.

g

gwatts
November 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM
darkod

Thank you. Installation proceeded exactly as you said until on reboot it stalled after a blackish purple screen > a long scroll and all was okay except “starting automatic crash report generation” .
The last entry was checking battery state OK.

After control, alt, delete, another scroll ended in “Pulseaudio configured for per user sessions saned disabled; edit /etc/defaults/saned.” which was marked with a yellow star.

I then tried the recovery Linux selection which stopped at the recovery menu and of

Of the four options, none of them had worked in the past.

I selected Resume normal boot which > the purplish black screen and a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. Again c-a-d > the usual choices and I went into Windows without difficulty.

This is really about how I started before, unable to get into the Ubuntu install.

I ran the Easy BCD view setting which revealed:

“There is one entry in the Windows bootload.”

“The default Windows Vista Ultimate recovered Timeout 10 seconds
EasyBCD boot device C:\.”

Entry # 1
name: Windows Vista ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID : “Current.”.
Drive C:\.
Bootloader path \Windows\system32\winload.exe

There was no other entry.

darkod
November 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM
That sounds like it has problem with part of your hardware, probably the audio. Did you try googling the specific error? Usually you can find some specific instructions from people that have already solved it.

If from the recovry menu you select Root only )or root session, don't remember exactly), it should boot a text only system. But this is not something you can work with. Maybe only to install some driver or solution for the problem.

PS. Did you ever try booting with the cd in live mode? If the live mode works, the installation should too. If live mode doesn't work it means it has some issue and the installation will have the same. So it is not advised to install until you figure out what the problem is.

gwatts
November 8th, 2011, 12:44 PM
darkod

How would you estimate the chances of this working?

Wipe the entire hard drive, install an image of Vista and petition the disc with a petition manager and then install Ubuntu in the usual manner. I would presume that everything is erased with a total hard drive wipe.

What would I do if the hardware such as a sound card is the problem? The laptop is at least four years old.

When you say “ booting with the cd in live mode.” Isn't that what I've been doing when I run the computer off the CD?

I did the root thing and tried the commands that you gave me but nothing worked.

Check these links, they are close but in some ways much different from my problem and I don't understand them. Sorry I don't know how to link them.

http://superuser.com/questions/277515/newly-upgraded-ubuntu-11-04-vm-not-booting

http://askubuntu.com/questions/67430/my-fresh-installation-doesnt-load-pulseaudio-problem

Thank you.

gwatts
November 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Recap since yesterday:

I am trying to dual boot Vista with Ubuntu 11 10. I have done many things and arrived at the point where it will boot only to a grub> prompt where it stalls. I am able to run the Ubuntu live CD but I cannot enter Vista (as I could until I used the RescueCD) after a repair from the installation Vista disk. That is to say Windows repair does not work.

While I have never been able to dual-boot as I should on this laptop, I was able to boot into Windows Vista while I was playing around with Easy BCD and almost every other command I could find. The most recent and immediate thing that I did was to use a SystemRescueCD

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

that was supposed to solve all my problems. I ran each of the various options without benefit.

I read that wiping the entire hard drive and reinstalling Windows may not affect the boot loader. Is it correct that there boot codes somewhere on hardware affecting the boot process that I cannot change by wiping, format, repartitioning and installing Windows?

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

darkod
November 9th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Reinstalling vista should work. The install process will write the windows bootloader to the MBR of the disk (the first sector) overwriting the earlier bootloader.

Don't forget, if you still plan to dual boot, when installing vista create the vista partition as big as you need it, and leave the other part of the hdd unallocated (not belonging to a partition). Later you will have unallocated space to install ubuntu.

critin
November 9th, 2011, 08:14 PM
To darkod: For my education please. :confused: This seems to show the OP may not be waiting for the os to load completely. Using the restart method too quick and too often? It's used two or three (++?) times in this instance. In Windows, C-A-D is an easy way to get out of sticky situations, but doesn't do the same in linux if used indiscriminately. A Bad Windows habit used when we have no patience to wait. I mean sometimes I get the long scroll with an error here and there with other things marked OK. I let it go and it loads up and works fine.
His audio wasn't disabled until after he'd hit C.A.D. which would be normal on a restart.

Most errors must be fixed automatically because I don't do it. Thanks, I'm still learning and my patience has improved considerably.

gwatts (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=247615) Thank you. Installation proceeded exactly as you said until on reboot it stalled after a blackish purple screen > a long scroll and all was okay except “starting automatic crash report generation” .
The last entry was checking battery state OK.

After control, alt, delete, another scroll ended in “Pulseaudio configured for per user sessions saned disabled; edit /etc/defaults/saned.” which was marked with a yellow star.

gwatts
November 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Following your directions I had successfully installed and rebooted several times both Windows Vista as well as UBUNTU and then I brought over an image of C: to replace the fresh install and I lost Ubuntu.
I then reinstalled Ubuntu just as you directed and exactly as I did the first time and now I can boot Windows but not Ubuntu. The scroll stalls as before with the "pulse audio configured===== etc." that I sent you earlier as well as "automatic crash report generation" and a new fail "light DEM display manager" which is a red fail followed by an okay which is below the red fail of "Light DEM display manager". There is nothing on the left in the scroll list online with the okay. I don't know how to interpret that. I guess it does not matter.h
I will start over tomorrow. Thank you.

darkod
November 9th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Following your directions I had successfully installed and rebooted several times both Windows Vista as well as UBUNTU and then I brought over an image of C: to replace the fresh install and I lost Ubuntu.
I then reinstalled Ubuntu just as you directed and exactly as I did the first time and now I can boot Windows but not Ubuntu. The scroll stalls as before with the "pulse audio configured===== etc." that I sent you earlier as well as "automatic crash report generation" and a new fail "light DEM display manager" which is a red fail followed by an okay which is below the red fail of "Light DEM display manager". There is nothing on the left in the scroll list online with the okay. I don't know how to interpret that. I guess it does not matter.h
I will start over tomorrow. Thank you.

You never said you want to apply an image of C:. We have no idea what it does to the ubuntu partition, and to the whole computer.

I think it's better to stop right now, and take a small break. Vista works now after the applied backup, but not ubuntu. Don't reinstall anything right now.
Follow the link in my signature from ubuntu live mode, download and run the bootinfoscript. Post the content of the results.txt file here, included in code tags as explained on that link.
Lets see what is the current status and figure out why ubuntu can't boot.
In theory, it all depends how applying the vista backup changed the computer. If it only deleted the bootloader from the MBR it's easy to simply put it back there from ubuntu live mode, no need to reinstall whole of ubuntu.
One thing though: If you planned to apply image of C: why did you start with clean vista reinstall? Why not apply the image, and then continue from there by installing ubuntu? If you are shrinking the vista partition for this purpose don't forget to do it with vista disk management, reboot vista few times to do its checks, and only then install ubuntu.
But now that's done, run the script first and report the results. It should have more information about the boot process.

mikaelcrocker
November 9th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I have used GRUB as a boot loader, and it seems that GRUB is better at changing and managing windows files when Linux is already installed. Always worked better for me.

gwatts
November 10th, 2011, 12:38 PM
thank you.

Didn't know how to apply image without OS.

Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of
the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
for on this drive.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows Vista
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 11.10
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector type: Unknown
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: swap
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

sda4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234441648 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 * 63 87,891,614 87,891,552 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda2 87,891,968 120,291,327 32,399,360 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 120,294,781 128,680,649 8,385,869 f W95 Extended (LBA)
/dev/sda5 120,294,783 128,680,649 8,385,867 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4 128,680,653 234,441,646 105,760,994 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/sda1 04F47061F4705740 ntfs
/dev/sda2 bd305c6f-8a4f-4b04-8c40-fa29fb21cb81 ext4
/dev/sda4 06C6BF7AC6BF6897 ntfs
/dev/sda5 d7b347d3-a627-438b-9592-558218114867 swap

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/sda4 /media/06C6BF7AC6BF6897 fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 (ro,noatime)

=========================== sda2/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}

function load_video {
insmod vbe
insmod vga
insmod video_bochs
insmod video_cirrus
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bd305c6f-8a4f-4b04-8c40-fa29fb21cb81
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en_US
insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
if background_color 44,0,30; then
clear
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
if [ ${recordfail} != 1 ]; then
if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
export linux_gfx_mode
if [ "$linux_gfx_mode" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic-pae' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic-pae root=UUID=bd305c6f-8a4f-4b04-8c40-fa29fb21cb81 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic-pae
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic-pae (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
echo 'Loading Linux 3.0.0-12-generic-pae ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic-pae root=UUID=bd305c6f-8a4f-4b04-8c40-fa29fb21cb81 ro recovery nomodeset
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic-pae
}
submenu "Previous Linux versions" {
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic root=UUID=bd305c6f-8a4f-4b04-8c40-fa29fb21cb81 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
echo 'Loading Linux 3.0.0-12-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic root=UUID=bd305c6f-8a4f-4b04-8c40-fa29fb21cb81 ro recovery nomodeset
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
}
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 04F47061F4705740
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=============================== sda2/etc/fstab: ================================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=bd305c6f-8a4f-4b04-8c40-fa29fb21cb81 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=d7b347d3-a627-438b-9592-558218114867 none swap sw 0 0

=================== sda2: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

= boot/grub/core.img 1
= boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
= boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic 2
= boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic-pae 2
= boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic 1
= boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic-pae 2
= initrd.img 2
= vmlinuz 1

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

Unknown BootLoader on sda3

00000000 b6 75 c2 e9 ca 14 f4 8c c0 aa ff f3 42 c4 f5 18 |.u..........B...|
00000010 40 ea a0 01 99 78 00 8a 9b 43 95 6a da e5 82 ae |@....x...C.j....|
00000020 5a b5 e9 98 b3 75 20 2c a3 cc 10 31 e7 84 c8 59 |Z....u ,...1...Y|
00000030 57 21 0e 03 3d 63 49 28 ed 97 5f c7 0a fa 1c 9f |W!..=cI(.._.....|
00000040 ff f4 fc 62 02 fe 8c 80 0e a8 89 a2 00 93 38 da |...b..........8.|
00000050 a6 d9 e9 db 96 5d a9 53 bb 3b 52 e4 9e 7c 5c ca |.....].S.;R..|\.|
00000060 a5 88 57 2e 8a 4e 5b 63 a9 a2 34 d3 78 e3 eb a4 |..W..N[c..4.x...|
00000070 c2 0c 55 ff f3 40 c4 f0 19 40 f2 a4 0b 99 60 00 |..U..@...@....`.|
00000080 68 43 27 50 4f 8c 48 2e 50 42 28 44 48 dd 65 46 |hC'PO.H.PB(DH.eF|
00000090 93 0f 82 65 50 e2 aa 25 4d d8 04 e9 dd 01 61 43 |...eP..%M.....aC|
000000a0 4f d0 6e e7 ff dc cd dd 51 5a 37 97 21 0c d1 fc |O.n.....QZ7.!...|
000000b0 50 c3 10 03 68 95 4c c9 9c 58 c0 10 24 fb a2 9c |P...h.L..X..$...|
000000c0 76 2b 41 72 c1 5b 4c 09 66 40 c0 ca 14 45 c8 df |v+Ar.[L.f@...E..|
000000d0 3c 3e f5 d5 82 0c df a6 75 71 0d ff f3 42 c4 e6 |<>......uq...B..|
000000e0 16 e8 e2 a0 01 99 78 00 85 96 ad 3f 7e 90 cd 9c |......x....?~...|
000000f0 bd 2f f6 bf 4d f7 1d 8e 1d d9 98 0e 9f 0d 86 4b |./..M..........K|
00000100 e8 22 86 0a 80 4a 2c 8a 03 49 17 e6 ad 7f fd fb |."...J,..I......|
00000110 ff dc fd 5a 2a 74 44 a0 56 e1 2b 40 82 84 32 34 |...Z*tD.V.+@..24|
00000120 c3 12 1a 6d 6e 82 ce 12 0f 70 db 23 c1 be 75 65 |...mn....p.#..ue|
00000130 4f bb 48 2c bf 2a d4 31 29 f5 2c 0f b8 d2 de 97 |O.H,.*.1).,.....|
00000140 cd 20 3f 8b ff f3 40 c4 e6 16 20 de a4 0b 98 48 |. ?...@... ....H|
00000150 00 15 d4 36 df 36 f5 1d f2 32 d0 ec dd 07 56 b7 |...6.6...2....V.|
00000160 b6 a9 ed 6b 56 3c 37 90 de cd 67 08 8f e0 56 9a |...kV<7...g...V.|
00000170 f9 df df ef d8 18 ab 3e 71 9d 36 b7 28 a2 d7 35 |.......>q.6.(..5|
00000180 67 7b 7f 5a 7c 89 cf ff fb 4a 0b 6a c1 67 03 9f |g{.Z|....J.j.g..|
00000190 fa 5c df f0 ea 6a 10 e9 44 98 1c a1 a8 17 10 be |.\...j..D.......|
000001a0 2c 05 91 34 0d 15 08 03 29 99 af 3b ff f3 42 c4 |,..4....)..;..B.|
000001b0 e8 17 51 3a 9c 01 99 60 00 9e 16 1e 90 47 00 fe |..Q:...`.....G..|
000001c0 ff ff 82 fe ff ff 02 00 00 00 4b f5 7f 00 00 00 |..........K.....|
000001d0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

unlzma: Decoder error
awk: cmd. line:36: Math support is not compiled in

darkod
November 10th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Depending what program are you using for your windows recovery, most of them would allow you to create a boot cd which you use to boot the computer and apply the image from external HDD for example.
Even using the built in windows backup solution lets you create a boot cd.

There is nothing wrong I can see in the results, except that you seem to be using generic-pae kernel and not the standard generic. Where did you get this cd of ubuntu?

Ii looks like in the grub boot menu you should have submenu saying Previous versions, did you try booting ubuntu from there? There should also be one ubuntu there and that's the standard generic kernel.

Otherwise the first ubuntu option at the top is generic-pae.

gwatts
November 10th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I downloaded from Ubuntu and made 2 CDs (because 1st didn't work).
First entry Ububtu----------------- -pae does not boot.
Previous versions does indeed reveal 2 entries:
Ubuntu------------3.0.0.12-generic
Ububtu---------- same with recovery mode
The first entry boots.
Should I leave it like this? What's happening?
Other boot options failed.

darkod
November 10th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I have seen -pae mentioned but I don't know what's it all about. The standard kernel is -generic and the -pae probably has some differences otherwise it wouldn't be called differently.

For the time being I would use it with the -generic, it works. If I got it right, you can now boot both vista and -generic, which means both OSs work.

Use it like this and later you can investigate what is the point with -pae if you feel like it.

mohamedtoma73
November 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM
i can figure a solution. install ubuntu inside windows vista using wubi.in the boot menu of wubi ubuntu installation you will see entry of the previosly installed ubuntu(installed before windows installation).if you do not see the entry boot into wubi installation and run sudo update-grub in a terminal and you are done.you will see the entry of ubuntu installation (the one before windows ) in the boot screen of wubi ubuntu installation

Mark Phelps
November 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Cardinal rule ... if it isn't Broken, don't fix it!

Messing around with Wubi, and then with GRUB updates, is a sure-fire way to mess up something in your existing system.

My advice -- leave it alone.

darkod
November 10th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Cardinal rule ... if it isn't Broken, don't fix it!

Messing around with Wubi, and then with GRUB updates, is a sure-fire way to mess up something in your existing system.

My advice -- leave it alone.

+1

Especially since the OP is already on dual boot. Wubi was meant as a previous step, to test how you like it, installing inside windows. When a dual boot already exists going the wubi way can only create problems.

gwatts
November 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Great help. Thank you. Close question?

darkod
November 10th, 2011, 10:05 PM
You are welcome. You can mark it Solved in Thread Tools above the first post on the page. Because it's your thread only you can mark it.