PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10: gnome-shell UI and keyring issue

meaninglessusernames
November 6th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Hi all.

I have 11.10 x64 with gnome-shell as my Desktop, and for 24 hours my "Radiance" theme went a bit wonky, and the (X) button at the top right of my windows was replaced by the ghastly round, orange (X) button of previous Ubuntu generations. Oddly, after booting today, the "Radiance" theme re-applied itself... :S

Find attached, a screenshot of the (X) button from "Radiance" theme, which is the one I want to appear all the time.

Finally, every time I login, I get this keyring box pop up and ask me to enter my password; is this a bug? How do I fix this? Really irritating.

Thanks

[EDIT]

Just fixed the annoying keyring issue, and now those ugly orange buttons are back... help!

meaninglessusernames
November 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
4 hours, and noone knows? I'm disappointed :P hehe

mcduck
November 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Those "ugly orange buttons" are the correct ones for Radiance. The white box button in your attached picture comes from the Adwaita theme.

What comes to the keyring issue, are you using normal login (with password) or automatic/password-free login? And is your keyring password set to same as your login password? (you can use the Passwords and Encryption Keys -tool to change the password if you need to...)

The keyring should unlock automatically if both passwords are the same and you use login password. In any other case you'll have to unlock the keyring manually, or set it to empty password.

meaninglessusernames
November 6th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Those "ugly orange buttons" are the correct ones for Radiance. The white box button in your attached picture comes from the Adwaita theme.

What comes to the keyring issue, are you using normal login (with password) or automatic/password-free login? And is your keyring password set to same as your login password? (you can use the Passwords and Encryption Keys -tool to change the password if you need to...)

The keyring should unlock automatically if both passwords are the same and you use login password. In any other case you'll have to unlock the keyring manually, or set it to empty password.

Thanks. I fixed the login issue.

The theme has been changed to "Adwaita" and the orange button is still there... so what do you suggest now?

Thank you :)

mcduck
November 6th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks. I fixed the login issue.

The theme has been changed to "Adwaita" and the orange button is still there... so what do you suggest now?

Thank you :)

How are you changing your themes? I recommend using Gnome-tweak-tool (apt:gnome-tweak-tool), as it allows you to pick your GTK and window themes separately from each other.

Also if you are switching the themes while using Gnome-Shell, you need to log out and back again every time you change your window border theme, the changes don't take effect immediatelly.

meaninglessusernames
November 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
How are you changing your themes? I recommend using Gnome-tweak-tool (apt:gnome-tweak-tool), as it allows you to pick your GTK and window themes separately from each other.

Also if you are switching the themes while using Gnome-Shell, you need to log out and back again every time you change your window border theme, the changes don't take effect immediatelly.

Thank you. I shall try this now.