PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] <Super> key not working

Soarer
November 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I upgraded to 11.04 and then to 11:10 this weekend. I rather like Unity, and have spent some time using it and configuring it to my preferences.

One big problem I still have is the <Super> key - it doesn't do anything. I have a <Windows> key on my MS 4000 keyboard, but it doesn't load 'Dash' or indeed do anything at all.

I tried assigning it under cccm >> desktop > Unity but no change.

Anyone seen this before?

Enigmapond
November 6th, 2011, 02:49 PM
You would need to assign it to do something in Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts.

Soarer
November 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Do you happen to know the program or script which causes 'Dash Home' to load please?

Enigmapond
November 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Sadly, no. 11.10 DE is a total mystery to me and will remain so. Not a great fan of Dash or Unity or Gnome3 and am holding steady to 10.04 until it dies. I wish you luck though...

Frogs Hair
November 6th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Install the synaptic package manager if you haven't already . Search for dash , right click on the line including dash to enter properties and view dependencies and other information . The super key works as usual in both Unity and Gnome Shell on my clean installation , so I don't know what the problem may be .

Soarer
November 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hi Frogs Hair

That's good thinking, but the only installed application called 'dash' is a shell.

I think you are right though - its because I upgraded rather than doing a new install. I had to install the icons too - many were missing initially.

Frogs Hair
November 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Frogs Hair

That's good thinking, but the only installed application called 'dash' is a shell.

I think you are right though - its because I upgraded rather than doing a new install. I had to install the icons too - many were missing initially.

Check the Compiz version in Compiz > Preferences > About , mine reads as 0.9.5.92 .

Soarer
November 6th, 2011, 05:28 PM
CCSM is CompizConfig Settings Manager 0.9.5.92

The same. Strange it works on yours and not mine...