PDA

View Full Version : How much does the internet weigh?

wolfen69
November 6th, 2011, 07:00 AM
?????????? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaUzu-iksi8) Pretty interesting vid.

TheCheggs
November 6th, 2011, 07:05 AM
holy crap thats amazing!

twtduck.ii
November 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM
This question is very confusing and doesn't have an answer, as the internet cannot be reasonably measured in weight. If it could be measured, it would be the combination of the weight of every server in the world. If this is a serious question, you obviously don't know much about computers. The video is, in my opinion, ridiculous junk and doesn't make much sense at all. Lastly, why is this posted under UBUNTU forums, as it has nothing to do with ubuntu?

sffvba[e0rt
November 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Well that concludes my randomness for the day... thanks for sharing :)

sharks
November 6th, 2011, 07:20 AM
+1 To the randomness.

hansdown
November 6th, 2011, 07:25 AM
This question is very confusing and doesn't have an answer, as the internet cannot be reasonably measured in weight. If it could be measured, it would be the combination of the weight of every server in the world. If this is a serious question, you obviously don't know much about computers. The video is, in my opinion, ridiculous junk and doesn't make much sense at all. Lastly, why is this posted under UBUNTU forums, as it has nothing to do with ubuntu?

It's in the cafe. No question was asked, and thanks, wolfen69, who does know about computers.

It was interesting.

Copper Bezel
November 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Haters gonna hate.

That was bloody awesome. I like the idea of starting from a question that's almost semantically incoherent and taking it in an interesting direction. (The figure for how much the servers actually weigh would be interesting, too, and a better answer to the question.)

lisati
November 6th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I'm surprised that 42 doesn't appear more. :D

hansdown
November 6th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I'm surprised that 42 doesn't appear more. :D

You have a great mind, lisati,

Cool.:D

wolfen69
November 6th, 2011, 07:53 AM

"How much does the internet weigh?" is the name of the video. I wasn't asking anything. It was merely for entertainment purposes. And I have my own pc repair business, so yeah, I know a little bit. I posted in the cafe, which is also for off-topic stuff, for future reference. Thanks for playing and be sure to grab your consolation prize on the way out. :)

vehemoth
November 6th, 2011, 07:58 AM
This comment has weight to it.

Very interesting vid

wolfen69
November 6th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Very interesting vid

When he said everything I've ever done, collected, and seen on a computer would add up to almost nothing, it was like, huh?

Legendary_Bibo
November 6th, 2011, 08:17 AM

You obviously don't know much about quantum mechanics/physics. Of course data has weight if it's dealing with the flow of electrons (sub atomic particles which do have mass though miniscule).

Anyways I found the video rather interesting.

StephanG
November 6th, 2011, 08:21 AM
When he said everything I've ever done, collected, and seen on a computer would add up to almost nothing, it was like, huh?

And if you think about the fact that the "weight" of a situation can also, linguistically refer to how serious it is, or how much it "matters" (and all mass/matter has weight!), it basically means that Youtube videos don't 'matter' very much! :lolflag:

Edit: Although, it's a sobering thought for programmers. Electronic engineers create powerful beasts of computers, that sit on our desks roaring with potential. And programmers come, code their hearts out, and basically contribute 1.8 x 10^-18 grams to what is resting on the table...

P.S. For the uber-nerds, I know that all mass/matter only has weight inside gravitational fields... So, if that statement bothered you, I append it with this: :P

wojox
November 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM
AWESOME, something you never really think about yet exists.

F.G.
November 6th, 2011, 01:00 PM
How much does the internet weigh?
i concur with twtduck.ii, this is clearly a support question, should probably be in 'Networking and Wireless' or at least 'General Help'.

According to Jen from 'The IT Crowd', where the internet made a guest appearance on an episode, it is very light, so there's a second source to back up that claim, (it's also kept in a small black box, which i found interesting and not what i expected at all).

Interesting video though. i initially expected the guy to try and calculate the mass gained through the movement of the electrons in the internet in a relativistic sense, which would be interesting. so rather than the 1/2000th of an AMU (if memory serves) of each electron when stationary, but the mass gained by the actual use of the internet.

haqking
November 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM

i concur with twtduck.ii, this is clearly a support question, should probably be in 'Networking and Wireless' or at least 'General Help'.

According to Jen from 'The IT Crowd', where the internet made a guest appearance on an episode, it is very light, so there's a second source to back up that claim, (it's also kept in a small black box, which i found interesting and not what i expected at all).

Interesting video though. i initially expected the guy to try and calculate the mass gained through the movement of the electrons in the internet in a relativistic sense, which would be interesting. so rather than the 1/2000th of an AMU (if memory serves) of each electron when stationary, but the mass gained by the actual use of the internet.

It is clearly NOT a support question and so is in the correct area

It is in the cafe which is appropriate area, the title is the title of the video posted.

@twduck most of the content of the cafe has nothing to do with Ubuntu which is why it is posted here

Which is an interesting video and as mentioned before more to do with physics and quantum mechanics and it demonstrates some interesting facts.

nice post wolfen69 and though it is random, what isnt in the cafe ;-)

Peace

F.G.
November 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM
@haqking yeah, i was actually joking, i have no idea how this question could be misconstrued as an Ubuntu-related support question. ( i guess serves me right for being sarcastic on the internet without the use of smileys).

it's at times like this that i wonder if there isn't something to Tibetan sand mandalas and if were'e all made from stardust perhaps i should just make my peace with the our place in the universe.

the same guy who did that video did a similar one about space flight, humankind and loneliness called 'loneliness' which is quite interesting.

haqking
November 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM
@haqking yeah, i was actually joking, i have no idea how this question could be misconstrued as an Ubuntu-related support question. ( i guess serves me right for being sarcastic on the internet without the use of smileys).

it's at times like this that i wonder if there isn't something to Tibetan sand mandalas and if were'e all made from stardust perhaps i should just make my peace with the our place in the universe.

the same guy who did that video did a similar one about space flight, humankind and loneliness called 'loneliness' which is quite interesting.

ahhh ok, good to use ;-)

Retlol
November 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
The question is a bit strange since most ppl would just count the servers or something like that, but weighing the actual data is pretty cool.

Never even thought about the fact that all those bytes actually had mass.

I now know that 5 million Terabytes weighs about the same as a grain of sand.

Ofcourse the first other site that had something to say about this topic claimed it amounted to about 2 ounces. I don't know what the eff an ounce is (or care enough to look it up) but I presume it's more than a grain of salt.

Kimm
November 6th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Brings my mind directly too... dont be silly, the internet doesnt weigh anything! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg)

F.G.
November 6th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Brings my mind directly too... dont be silly, the internet doesnt weigh anything! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg)
yup, that's precisely the bit i was talking about. i guess it turns out Roy was wrong.

juancarlospaco
November 6th, 2011, 05:39 PM
So IT people are good salary if you think on:
Weight of produced product/Money earned :P

philinux
November 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Lastly, why is this posted under UBUNTU forums, as it has nothing to do with ubuntu?

Please see the large banner at the top of the Cafe forum. :P

Paqman
November 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I don't know what the eff an ounce is (or care enough to look it up) but I presume it's more than a grain of salt.

It's an archaic measure of weight used in countries that think we should bring back chastity belts and feudalism.

AllenGG
November 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hola Wolf, perfect place to post this wonderful bit of trivia !
We Ubuntuus, or is it Ubuntanians, Ubuntu tribe???? >>love this sort of thing.
And to Philinux, there will always be a twtduck.ii somewhere.

AsoSako
November 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Nice!

F.G.
November 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM
It's an archaic measure of weight used in countries that think we should bring back chastity belts and feudalism.
apparently (according to wikipedia) an ounce is actually 437.5 grains (or , for the scrupulous 21.85 scruples) .

Paqman
November 6th, 2011, 10:37 PM
apparently (according to wikipedia) an ounce is actually 437.5 grains (or , for the scrupulous 21.85 scruples) .

Yes, or 1/1792nd of a hundredweight. One wonders how such an elegant system ever died out.