PDA

View Full Version : Some vet guidence?

TheCheggs
November 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM
well i have been using ubuntu off and on since last year and even though i love it so much i still have these windows demons telling me to use windows. now i don't care much for dual booting and i have no idea how to better my relationship with ubuntu and linux as a whole. any suggestions?

sffvba[e0rt
November 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Obviously you are not using your computer to run only the operating system. What are the programs you want to/need to use? There is nothing wrong with using Windows/Mac/Linus if it works for you.

I have found many reasons I prefer Linux but I still have a Windows machine for those things that Linux cannot do for me.

So the question you ask sounds simple enough, the answer not so much (and never ask a barber if he thinks you need a hair-cut) :)

cbanakis
November 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM
For the most part, almost all linux distros work out of the box.

What exactly do you need your computer to do?

cbanakis
November 6th, 2011, 06:22 AM
There's always something wrong with using a Mac

:D

Obviously you are not using your computer to run only the operating system. What are the programs you want to/need to use? There is nothing wrong with using Windows/Mac/Linus if it works for you.

I have found many reasons I prefer Linux but I still have a Windows machine for those things that Linux cannot do for me.

So the question you ask sounds simple enough, the answer not so much (and never ask a barber if he thinks you need a hair-cut) :)

TheCheggs
November 6th, 2011, 06:27 AM
well i do game quite a bit but i also love tinkering with my computer. but there are those few things that linux cannot provide i.e steam and whatnot. i guess what i am really asking is if there is anyway to over come the withdrawls.

cbanakis
November 6th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Well, when it comes to the newest latest high graphics fast action games...

There really is no escaping windows.

You can run windows software/games in ubuntu using wine or play on linux without much trouble.

But the more complicated windows software doesn't work till someone makes it work.

Dinky little games like peggle or zuma work flawlessly.
Call of Duty WAW works fine, but as far as I know Black Ops does not work as of yet.

I have photoshop running flawlessly on my desktop Ubuntu.
Photoshop is about as complex as they come.
However, I am running Photoshop CS2, which is pretty old.
I tried to get CS5 working without success, which is the newest/latest.

I dont mean to ramble.
Just helping you establish a pattern.

Basically "Brand New Big Game" = waiting for updates, and tinkering for hours to get it to work.
"Old Big Game" and "New dinky game" = usually no problem.

So it really depends on exactly what you need.

All that being said, I think its worth the potential headache of spending hours getting everything to work in linux, because once you get it all working, your done.

With Windows, and even Mac, your work is never done.
Reformat every so often cause your system starts dragging, and you have no idea why.
Virus/spyware/ect
serial numbers/activation.

hope all that rambling helps

TheCheggs
November 6th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Well, when it comes to the newest latest high graphics fast action games...

There really is no escaping windows.

You can run windows software/games in ubuntu using wine or play on linux without much trouble.

But the more complicated windows software doesn't work till someone makes it work.

Dinky little games like peggle or zuma work flawlessly.
Call of Duty WAW works fine, but as far as I know Black Ops does not work as of yet.

I have photoshop running flawlessly on my desktop Ubuntu.
Photoshop is about as complex as they come.
However, I am running Photoshop CS2, which is pretty old.
I tried to get CS5 working without success, which is the newest/latest.

I dont mean to ramble.
Just helping you establish a pattern.

Basically "Brand New Big Game" = waiting for updates, and tinkering for hours to get it to work.
"Old Big Game" and "New dinky game" = usually no problem.

So it really depends on exactly what you need.

All that being said, I think its worth the potential headache of spending hours getting everything to work in linux, because once you get it all working, your done.

With Windows, and even Mac, your work is never done.
Reformat every so often cause your system starts dragging, and you have no idea why.
Virus/spyware/ect
serial numbers/activation.

hope all that rambling helps

that was really quite awesome :) and it did help it surly did thank you!