PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome shell or Unity shell?

jasoncruz98
November 6th, 2011, 02:42 AM
So the DE of Ubuntu 11.10 is not Unity, it is actually Gnome 3 running on the Unity shell. Is that correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I install Gnome shell, will I need to uninstall the Unity shell? What benefits are there in installing the Gnome shell? Can someone explain to me what does the Gnome shell extensions do that the Unity shell cannot do?

Which shell is better for running Compiz-fusion? Unity shell or Gnome shell?

Copper Bezel
November 6th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Yes, Unity is a shell that runs over Gnome 3 in place of Gnome Shell.

You can install both shells and switch between them freely. Gnome Shell offers a different workflow than Unity's, and the extensions offer a wide range of tweaks including collections for a classic Gnome UI experience, Zeitgeist journal integration and a global menu (both of which Unity has by default but Shell does not) and all manner of little appearance tweaks and options. It's a much more adaptable base than Unity, but it may or may not be to your liking.

Gnome Shell uses the Clutter compositor and is not compatible with Compiz (while Unity uses Compiz and is not compatible with Clutter.)

Roasted
November 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I do have to wonder... with Ubuntu going the Unity route, I wonder if they'll ever create their own framework underneath. As in... Unity is based on Gnome 3 now. Ubuntu already generated an alternative to Gnome Shell (Unity), I wonder if they could generate an alternative to Gnome 3, the engine underneath?

I also wonder if Gnome Shell will turn into a common (and easily installable) package down the road... meaning if it'll be as common to install as XFCE, LXDE, etc. Certain comments have been made suggesting Gnome Shell is hard to package with Ubuntu, which makes me wonder.