PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome-shell is slow

v923z
November 5th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hi All,

I have seen that this question has been asked before, but those related to older versions of ubuntu or gnome-shell. In short, I would like to use gnome-shell. I have installed version 3.2 on oneiric, and initially everything is fine, but after a while, the desktop becomes quite slow and sluggish, and it eats more than 50% of CPU for no apparent reason. This persists, even if I close all applications. Is this a bug in gnome, or the problem lies somewhere else? At the moment, I am not even sure where I should start to search for the culprit, but if someone can suggest what I should list, that could be helpful. I am running ubuntu 11.10 on a 64-bit lenovo G550 with an nvidia video card.
Thanks,
v923z

cbowman57
November 5th, 2011, 09:53 PM
With previous versions of Gnome shell in 64-bit I always thought that there were huge memory leaks in the shell itself, figured that woul be fixed by now.

Even though I run a 64-bit machine I feel the 32-bit distro is quicker (seat of the pants, no benchmarks) & it doesn't have that leakage.

Just restart the shell occasionally & the slowdown shouldn't be too big a hassle. When I was previewing the pre-11.04 installations I created a launcher that I could click to run alt+f2 type r then enter.

So, I'm not certain I addressed your particular problem but it wouldn't be surprising if it was the same thing I experienced.

v923z
November 5th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Well, then, restart it will be.
Cheers,
v923z