PDA

View Full Version : GTK3 Themes?

BigCityCat
November 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I was wondering if GTK3 is going to make for better themes in the future. Most of what is out now and almost all of GTK2 themes are not very good IMHO. Is GTK3 all that much different than GTK2? How come none of the themes currently out have the polish of Mac or Windows and no I don't mean windows default theme? It's pretty ugly but Windows does have some really nice custom themes and Mac even though it just has the grey look. It looks polished. I haven't seen anyone really capture that, all though I have seen a lot of mac like themes. I don't even think KDE really has a polished look with Oxygen or QTcurve using QT. Is there anything coming in the future that is going to take Linux to the next level with regards to polish? I don't mean the DE cause it looks like Linux is making a lot of progress with the actual desktop environment.

LowSky
November 5th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Linux can be customized just as much as Windows or Mac or Android or whatever. You just need to learn how to do it.

Years ago it was very common place to make a Linux Distro look and act like a Mac or Windows PC.

Now we have an issue and that is the simplification of the GUI that has inadvertently caused things to be not as custom, or harder to customize due to the lack of up front menus or the need to change the code from a text file, or use third party solutions that sometimes break.

koleoptero
November 6th, 2011, 12:39 AM
GTK3 is young, there aren't as many engines out there as there are for gtk2 so be patient.

Frogs Hair
November 6th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Be a little careful with the GTK 3 themes right now some simply don't work right due to Gnome 3 being new . I think it is just a matter of time before new and better GTK 3 themes are available.

BigCityCat
November 6th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Do you think GTK3 will be better then GTK2 in regards to themes?

Legendary_Bibo
November 6th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Do you think GTK3 will be better then GTK2 in regards to themes?

Better in terms of appearance is subjective and therefore has no way of measuring.

:popcorn::guitar::popcorn::guitar::popcorn:

Copper Bezel
November 6th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Yeah, I think we'll see more themes available as Gnome 3 calms down a bit. GTK3 themes are extraordinarily easy to edit, with the CSS-style markup, but I haven't seen anything really impressive yet. I had to spend some time cobbling something together that didn't hurt to look at - I haven't seen a single theme that I wanted to use as-is - and I haven't seen anything done with GTK3 that couldn't be done with GTK2.

I think that for the most part, the improvements in GTK3 are a matter of lightness and portability rather than anything to do with looking good. A lot of things can be done with vectors and gradients that required images in GTK2.

Better in terms of appearance is subjective and therefore has no way of measuring.

Yes and no. You couldn't really argue that GTK3 can look better than GTK2 if it can't do anything GTK2 couldn't. Of course, I don't think that's actually the case, but there is a part of that question of capabilities that isn't entirely subjective.

Frogs Hair
November 6th, 2011, 03:04 AM
That depends on the time and effort put into them as with GTK 2 . Theme preference is very subjective . There are many themes that are very popular that I find just awful . The dedicated people who are putting their own time and effort into creating themes are not getting paid . I don't expect same quality as companies with art and design departments .

Copper Bezel
November 6th, 2011, 03:08 AM
I don't expect same quality as companies with art and design departments.

I didn't expect it under GTK2, but then there was Orta and I got spoiled. = P Easily as professional, or moreso, than Aero or Aqua....

BigCityCat
November 6th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I think we'll see more themes available as Gnome 3 calms down a bit. GTK3 themes are extraordinarily easy to edit, with the CSS-style markup, but I haven't seen anything really impressive yet. I had to spend some time cobbling something together that didn't hurt to look at - I haven't seen a single theme that I wanted to use as-is - and I haven't seen anything done with GTK3 that couldn't be done with GTK2.

I think that for the most part, the improvements in GTK3 are a matter of lightness and portability rather than anything to do with looking good. A lot of things can be done with vectors and gradients that required images in GTK2.

Yes and no. You couldn't really argue that GTK3 can look better than GTK2 if it can't do anything GTK2 couldn't. Of course, I don't think that's actually the case, but there is a part of that question of capabilities that isn't entirely subjective.

That is what I was looking for. It does have some differences that could make it better. Of course it's all subjective. I guess time will tell.

BigCityCat
November 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM
That depends on the time and effort put into them as with GTK 2 . Theme preference is very subjective . There are many themes that are very popular that I find just awful . The dedicated people who are putting their own time and effort into creating themes are not getting paid . I don't expect same quality as companies with art and design departments .

I see what your saying about art and design departments but I have seen a lot of themes on deviant art for windows 7 that are far better than the default. Of course it's subjective but something seems different, more polished.

BrokenKingpin
November 7th, 2011, 12:15 AM
I used shiki-brave for the longest time so I hope it gets a port to GTK3. For now I am using greybird with the shiki brave window boarders for Xfwm.

Frogs Hair
November 7th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I used shiki-brave for the longest time so I hope it gets a port to GTK3. For now I am using greybird with the shiki brave window boarders for Xfwm.

These are based on Shiki themes and there are more than the three in the screen shot .The Brave theme is represented .http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Zukitwo-Colors?content=146290

BrokenKingpin
November 7th, 2011, 04:12 AM
These are based on Shiki themes and there are more than the three in the screen shot .The Brave theme is represented .http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Zukitwo-Colors?content=146290
Nice. Hopefully those get added to the Ubuntu repos at some point.

OldTimmer
October 22nd, 2012, 06:38 AM
For me all linux distributions have the same problem there all dull and hard to look at.
I know the KDE looks better but not as functional and still dull window borders.
Ubuntu is probably the easiest to use but the Orange and Brown is just a turn off.
Fedora is the next in line for ease of uses the Blue and Black is easier on the eyes but still dull.
I have been wanting to switch from Windows to Linux for years but the same problem year after year functionality of Linux gets better but the dull hard on the eyes stays the same.
A lot of users of linux say you can customize Linux all you want well I guess you can .
I tried to create a theme under GTK2 once what a night mare just took up to much time and I got so frustrated that I just scraped the OS and went back to Windows.
I have yet to find a decent theme.
All I am looking for is a simple way to make task bars semi transparent and window borders semi transparent.
I have been able to make the task bar semi transparent but the window borders for get it crash the OS every time.
I guess that is one thing I like about Windows 7 all you have to do is enable Aero and wala you have semi transparent task bar and semi transparent window borders and every time the background changes you have a new theme does not get boring.
Now I am not saying make Ubuntu look like Windows.
Right now I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on another hard drive been playing with it for about a week now crashed it 5 times reloaded it 4 times just trying to make it look better.
I am back to the dull hard on the eyes Brown and Orange.
Now this is just one mans opinion

mips
October 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
I like the Greybird theme,

http://shimmerproject.org/project/greybird/

Copper Bezel
October 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Wow. A year ago, I commented that it's just a matter of time, that we'd start seeing some more theme options for GTK3. And right now, I'm using Adwaita. (Which, don't get me wrong, is quite nice.)

OldTimmer
October 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM
For me all linux distributions have the same problem there all dull and hard to look at.
I know the KDE looks better but not as functional and still dull window borders.
Ubuntu is probably the easiest to use but the Orange and Brown is just a turn off.
Fedora is the next in line for ease of uses the Blue and Black is easier on the eyes but still dull.
I have been wanting to switch from Windows to Linux for years but the same problem year after year functionality of Linux gets better but the dull hard on the eyes stays the same.
A lot of users of linux say you can customize Linux all you want well I guess you can .
I tried to create a theme under GTK2 once what a night mare just took up to much time and I got so frustrated that I just scraped the OS and went back to Windows.
I have yet to find a decent theme.
All I am looking for is a simple way to make task bars semi transparent and window borders semi transparent.
I have been able to make the task bar semi transparent but the window borders for get it crash the OS every time.
I guess that is one thing I like about Windows 7 all you have to do is enable Aero and wala you have semi transparent task bar and semi transparent window borders and every time the background changes you have a new theme does not get boring.
Now I am not saying make Ubuntu look like Windows.
Right now I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on another hard drive been playing with it for about a week now crashed it 5 times reloaded it 4 times just trying to make it look better.
I am back to the dull hard on the eyes Brown and Orange.
Now this is just one mans opinion

I have to eat my words some what.
I tried Kubuntu 12.10 and now have things set up the way I like it.
Semitransparent task bar and semitransparent window borders.
Still do not like the looks of Ubuntu.
Way to go Kubuntu team looks and functionality.

zombifier25
October 30th, 2012, 07:13 AM
I still want something like Aero to be made for Linux/Ubuntu (Aero's ability to make ANY part of the window transparent, not all or nothing like Compiz, is awesome)

Copper Bezel
October 30th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Not useful now, but did you ever play with the RGBA Murrine themes? Like this? (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=42755)