PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why update in single steps.

Garland Fox
November 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Why we cannot update from 10.04 straight into 11.10?

Update manager forces to update one step at a time

10.04 > 10.10 > 11.04 > 11.10

haqking
November 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Why we cannot update from 10.04 straight into 11.10?

Update manager forces to update one step at a time

10.04 > 10.10 > 11.04 > 11.10

Imagine every 6 months your car manufacturer came round and added the changes to your car from the new model, it is far cleaner and less messy and more likely to work if you keep what you have and buy the new one in a few years ;-)

A fresh install is better anyways.

And always try before you upgrade/fresh install.

We dont need anymore hating Unity threads or 11.10 sucks threads ;-)

Try the live version out first or dual boot.

Cheers

Garland Fox
November 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I tried it out on my puter first - we are upgrading the wife's box now. We were new to linux and didn't wanna play with updates till after we got more used to it.

We don't play hate Unity or like that - we would just reinstall 10.04...whatever

It just looked like it should be possible to update all the way in one step - but I guess that would be a rather large step.

haqking
November 5th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I tried it out on my puter first - we are upgrading the wife's box now. We were new to linux and didn't wanna play with updates till after we got more used to it.

We don't play hate Unity or like that - we would just reinstall 10.04...whatever

It just looked like it should be possible to update all the way in one step - but I guess that would be a rather large step.

ok cool.

Yeah an update from 10.04 straight to 11.04 or 11.10 would break so many things, there is way too much to change.

Best to do a fresh install (always) IMHO

Cheers

Elfy
November 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
If you wait for the next LTS - April next year then you could upgrade in one step from 10.04 to 12.04.

LTS upgrades work differently than the intervening ones

irv
November 5th, 2011, 09:02 PM
How about a dirty install: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1589262&page=2

haqking
November 5th, 2011, 09:02 PM
If you wait for the next LTS - April next year then you could upgrade in one step from 10.04 to 12.04.

LTS upgrades work differently than the intervening ones

oh thats interesting, i didnt know there was an upgrade path direct from LTS to LTS.

cheers

Elfy
November 5th, 2011, 09:25 PM
oh thats interesting, i didnt know there was an upgrade path direct from LTS to LTS.

cheers

There always has been apparently - I've not noticed or done so myself as I change twice a year(ish)

If you set Software Sources to only show upgrade from LTS to LTS if you have it, you'd be unaware of the intervening upgrades - at least as far as update manager is concerned, you'd have to have your head in the sand not to notice upgrades if you use any of the support systems though :)

haqking
November 5th, 2011, 09:26 PM
There always has been apparently - I've not noticed or done so myself as I change twice a year(ish)

If you set Software Sources to only show upgrade from LTS to LTS if you have it, you'd be unaware of the intervening upgrades - at least as far as update manager is concerned, you'd have to have your head in the sand not to notice upgrades if you use any of the support systems though :)

ahh gotcha, well i actually run debian now anyways, Ubuntu in VM's. But thanks for the info