PDA

View Full Version : Mono ditched in Ubuntu 12.04

Dragonbite
November 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Banshee will be replaced by Rythmbox (again), and Tomboy will be removed. Since those were the only applications in the default installation that uses Mono, this mean the Mono framework will likewise be dropped.

Banshee, Tomboy And Mono Dropped from Ubuntu 12.04 CD (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/banshee-tomboy-and-mono-dropped-from-ubuntu-12-04-cd/)
The news was confirmed during the wrap-up session of the Ubuntu Developer Summit.

But Banshee is not the only removal: note-taking application Tomboy is also to be removed from the default application set on the CD.

Both applications will remain easily installable from the Ubuntu Software Centre for those who prefer to use them.

Tomboy and Banshee both relied on the ‘mono’ framework. As this is no longer needed “out of the box”, it too will be removed form the default CD.

Of course it is all available from the repositories.

sffvba[e0rt
November 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Interesting development...

thenixedreport
November 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
As much as I don't mind Banshee and Tomboy, Mono is a pretty hefty dependency. While it may not be that big of a deal on a hard drive these days, it's another story altogether when we're talking about a 700 MB CD. With that much more space freed up, more options for the live CD would be opened up. They could put GIMP back in. They could add OpenShot or maybe the rest of LibreOffice.

MadCow108
November 5th, 2011, 04:00 PM
As much as I don't mind Banshee and Tomboy, Mono is a pretty hefty dependency. While it may not be that big of a deal on a hard drive these days, it's another story altogether when we're talking about a 700 MB CD. With that much more space freed up, more options for the live CD would be opened up. They could put GIMP back in. They could add OpenShot or maybe the rest of LibreOffice.

yeay its really "hefty", its pretty much the same as python:

apt-get install mono-runtime
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libmono-corlib4.0-cil libmono-security4.0-cil libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil
libmono-system-security4.0-cil libmono-system-xml4.0-cil libmono-system4.0-cil mono-4.0-gac
mono-gac mono-runtime
Need to get 3957 kB of archives.
After this operation, 11.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
maybe 10mb for all extras you need for banshee + tomboy + gbrainy

I don't really get this descision, how has rhythmbox improved since it was removed?
its still as unmaintained as ever to my knowledge.

cgroza
November 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
They increased the ISO size by 50 MB:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/ubuntu-12-04-disc-size-to-be-750mb/

CharlesA
November 5th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I thought an 80 minute cd only held 700mb?

There goes a waste of a dvd Guess I'll be putting it on a usb drive instead.

IWantFroyo
November 5th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Ouch...

See ya, blank DVDs.

CharlesA
November 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Ouch...

See ya, blank DVDs.
Yep. I don't use cds or dvds all that much anymore, but I use an Ubuntu cd at work for data recovery and whatnot and some of the machines don't have dvd drives.

Guess I will be looking into a leaner distro for that, or just stick with 10.04. :p

IWantFroyo
November 5th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Yep. I don't use cds or dvds all that much anymore, but I use an Ubuntu cd at work for data recovery and whatnot and some of the machines don't have dvd drives.

Guess I will be looking into a leaner distro for that, or just stick with 10.04. :p

I tend to use DVDs because I like testing non-Ubuntu distros. It's much easier to burn an ISO file than wait for something like UNetBootin to be updated (is it even in development anymore?).

Same here. My machines run Ubuntu Lucid or Debian Squeeze. I'm not sure if I'll end up updating them.

CharlesA
November 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Same here. My machines run Ubuntu Lucid or Debian Squeeze. I'm not sure if I'll end up updating them.

Same here, my main server is running Lucid and I've got a couple desktop installs of Lucid bouncing around.

I wonder if the server cd will be smaller then the desktop cd - it should be but I suppose time will tell.

thenixedreport
November 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Why couldn't they just work on improving the compression used for the live environment instead? While CD-R's above 700 MB work, from what I gathered, they require overburn and are not guaranteed to work.

thenixedreport
November 5th, 2011, 04:56 PM

libmono-corlib4.0-cil libmono-security4.0-cil libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil
libmono-system-security4.0-cil libmono-system-xml4.0-cil libmono-system4.0-cil mono-4.0-gac
mono-gac mono-runtime

I don't really get this descision, how has rhythmbox improved since it was removed?

From what this link is saying, it actually is.

http://projects.gnome.org/rhythmbox/rhythmbox-0.13.3.news

stinkeye
November 5th, 2011, 05:24 PM
The news certainly excited Roy Schestowitz.
He's already claiming victory.

This marks a victory of sorts to a push we’ve put a lot of effort into, along with Boycott Novell. A lot of personal compromise was involved as I was on the receiving end of persistent bullying and smears. Thanks to all those who help share information about the problems with Mono. GNU/Linux is a lot safer (and better) now.

thenixedreport
November 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately, there were people calling that guy names which didn't help their position any.

philinux
November 5th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I thought an 80 minute cd only held 700mb?

There goes a waste of a dvd Guess I'll be putting it on a usb drive instead.

DVD rw ;)

UDS shortlist for precise.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/expected-changes-in-ubuntu-1204-precise.html

I've posted this in Ubuntu+1 forum sticky.

CharlesA
November 5th, 2011, 06:12 PM
DVD rw ;)
I did not think of that! Good idea.

IWantFroyo
November 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I did not think of that! Good idea.

My problem with these is I keep losing them... They do the job, however.

CharlesA
November 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM
My problem with these is I keep losing them... They do the job, however.
That's true. I probably have a dozen or so Ubuntu cds since I put them down somewhere and then they are not there when I need them.

*headdesk*

BeRoot ReBoot
November 5th, 2011, 07:36 PM
It's much easier to burn an ISO file than wait for something like UNetBootin to be updated (is it even in development anymore?).

Tip: $dd if=ubantolunix.iso of=/dev/usbdrive works now.

gsmanners
November 5th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Maybe we could format the DVDs with partitions so that you have the iso at the front of the disc and some other stuff using the rest of the space...

You'd still have about 3700MiB to fill on a single-layer, so maybe just a bunch of deb files you could copy in the /var/cache/apt/archive after you install. Or music/videos/whatever.

wolfen69
November 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM
The news certainly excited Roy Schestowitz.
He's already claiming victory.

This marks a victory of sorts to a push we’ve put a lot of effort into, along with Boycott Novell. A lot of personal compromise was involved as I was on the receiving end of persistent bullying and smears. Thanks to all those who help share information about the problems with Mono. GNU/Linux is a lot safer (and better) now.

I'm sure the neckbeards are happy.
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/2/128674887138143892.jpg

gsmanners
November 5th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Another way to not waste a DVD would be multiCD (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/02/multicd-builds-multi-boot-cd-dvd-with.html).

Ric_NYC
November 5th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Thank you!

koenn
November 5th, 2011, 11:54 PM
That's true. I probably have a dozen or so Ubuntu cds since I put them down somewhere and then they are not there when I need them.

*headdesk*
I turned to the mini-isos. Faster to download, faster to burn + you install an up to date system automatically. It's a bit of a waste of a CD but at least it's not such a waste of time.

that, and a proxy to cache the stuff you need to download during the install, just to have it there in case you need to install more than once, for whatever reason (a second computer, a virtual machine, an error or a mistake during the install, ...)

travissparks1307
November 6th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I am so happy to say that my faith in Ubuntu has been restored. :biggrin: First Canonical teams up with RedHat to fight M$ secure boot, then they get rid of mono. It proves to me that they're serious about competing with Microsoft and not just Apple. I am really looking forward to Ubuntu 12.04! Bravo Ubuntu. Bravo.=D>

koleoptero
November 6th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Great decision as far as I am concerned. The first thing I would do on a fresh ubuntu install is sudo apt-get purge libmono-corlib-<tab>.

mono-gac mono-runtime

If you remove all the mono stuff from a fresh install and then install rhythmbox+gnote you'll see that they need much less things to download and take less space.

Also rhythmbox is alive and hale, it just doesn't change much on the outside.

I tend to use DVDs because I like testing non-Ubuntu distros. It's much easier to burn an ISO file than wait for something like UNetBootin to be updated (is it even in development anymore?).

unetbootin is alive and hale too.

Legendary_Bibo
November 6th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I am so happy to say that my faith in Ubuntu has been restored. :biggrin: First Canonical teams up with RedHat to fight M$ secure boot, then they get rid of mono. It proves to me that they're serious about competing with Microsoft and not just Apple. I am really looking forward to Ubuntu 12.04! Bravo Ubuntu. Bravo.=D>

Using M$ in place of MS for Microsoft was so clever! OMG I can't believe no one else has thought of that clever label to imply that Microsoft was a corporation that inherently made money *gasp*.

Oh, and they've definitely got something up their sleeve with that Mono project. I mean the whole project is only released under GPLv2, and Microsoft explicitly placing ECMA 334 and ECMA 335 standards under the Microsoft Community Promise, and even going as far as contributing code to the Mono project. Oh wait...

inobe
November 6th, 2011, 01:28 AM
wow

gsmanners
November 6th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Oh, and they've definitely got something up their sleeve with that Mono project. I mean the whole project is only released under GPLv2, and Microsoft explicitly placing ECMA 334 and ECMA 335 standards under the Microsoft Community Promise, and even going as far as contributing code to the Mono project. Oh wait...

I know right? And Microsoft would NEVER sue anyone over patents. Why that would just be so unfair! :P

Legendary_Bibo
November 6th, 2011, 02:01 AM
I know right? And Microsoft would NEVER sue anyone over patents. Why that would just be so unfair! :P

Microsoft irrevocably promises not to assert any Microsoft Necessary Claims against you for making, using, selling, offering for sale, importing or distributing any implementation to the extent it conforms to a Covered Specification (“Covered Implementation”), subject to the following. This is a personal promise directly from Microsoft to you, and you acknowledge as a condition of benefiting from it that no Microsoft rights are received from suppliers, distributors, or otherwise in connection with this promise.

Source (http://www.microsoft.com/openspecifications/en/us/programs/osp/default.aspx)

The base technologies submitted to the ECMA, and therefore also the Unix/GNOME-specific parts, are not problematic due to Microsoft's explicitly placing both ECMA 334 and ECMA 335 standards under the Microsoft Community Promise. The concerns primarily relate to technologies developed by Microsoft on top of the .NET Framework, such as ASP.NET, ADO.NET and Windows Forms (see non-standardized namespaces), i.e. parts composing Mono’s Windows compatibility stack. These technologies are today not fully implemented in Mono and not required for developing Mono-applications, they are simply there for developers and users who need full compatibility with the Windows system.

Yeah we live in a pretty black and white world.

inobe
November 6th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Source (http://www.microsoft.com/openspecifications/en/us/programs/osp/default.aspx)

Yeah we live in a pretty black and white world.

they are simply there for developers and users who need full compatibility with the Windows system.

that in itself must be a typo:P

beew
November 6th, 2011, 02:08 AM
What was the reason that they switched from Rhythmbox to Banshee again? I think Rhythmbox was no longer developed, how has that changed? Well not that I really care one way or the other.

Frogs Hair
November 6th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I switched back to Rythmbox after an half hour with Banshee on 11.04 and didn't even bother to open it 11.10 . Some like it but it just isn't for me . I have never used Tomboy .

inobe
November 6th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Don't argue with an <snip> people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

please consider the ubuntu code of conduct before posting, good day :)

http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/conduct

KiwiNZ
November 6th, 2011, 05:20 AM
"Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"

Closed in 10,9,8,7....to heck with patience over. Closed