PDA

View Full Version : Another convert

_simon_
June 3rd, 2006, 11:00 AM
My other halfs pc has been windows free for 2 days now!

The endless XP crashes convinced her to give Dapper a try and so far she is loving it.

I didn't bother with giving her dual boot as she has my limited linux knowledge to help her out if things went pear shaped, however everything is running just fine apart from her graphics tablet but she can live without that until we can (if possible) get it working.

I've been trying to convince my dad to give Dapper a try but he just won't make the jump :(

u.b.u.n.t.u
June 3rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
My other halfs pc has been windows free for 2 days now!

The endless XP crashes convinced her to give Dapper a try and so far she is loving it.

I didn't bother with giving her dual boot as she has my limited linux knowledge to help her out if things went pear shaped, however everything is running just fine apart from her graphics tablet but she can live without that until we can (if possible) get it working.

I've been trying to convince my dad to give Dapper a try but he just won't make the jump :(

Great to hear Simon! ubuntu Dapper is definitely a significant competitor to Windows XP. (Games aside).

_simon_
June 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Great to hear Simon! ubuntu Dapper is definitely a significant competitor to Windows XP. (Games aside).

That is IF you can play games in XP. My other half has not been able to, she'd get about a minute into a game and the PC would reset! That's ANY game at all! We'd not been able to get to the bottom of the problem.

With Dapper she's playing various games and it's as stable as a rock.

Carol1976
June 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
That was only HALF the story, my pc was about as stable as trying to balance a ping pong ball on a football - it would never fall in the way that you would expect it to.

I'm loving it! Ok, so I don't actually KNOW anything about Linux, but I didn't REALLY know enough about Windows either, but I have every intention of learning about Linux so that I don't ALWAYS have to rely on Simon IF and WHEN things go wrong.

I have to admit that the only thing I am missing is Corel PSP X, BUT, I have been reassured by various members of the GIMP forum, that the GIMP has almost every ability that PSP did, if not more, it's just a learning process now to try and get the GIMP to do things that I was doing in PSP...

Put it this way, if an art package was the ONLY thing that was keeping me with Windows, then I HAD to succumb to his constant persuasions and at least give it a try 8)

Every single time Windows messed up, he'd lovingly and jokingly shove his copy of the Live CD under my nose. His last hint was leaving the website open with the link to download Dapper, by this point I had had enough of my pc crashing, freezing, going really slow and being a total pain in the rectum.

I don't play that many games that are CD based (ie ones that were bought to play on Windows) so I won't lose out on that aspect, the only game that I got addicted to was Settlers IV, but as Simon spent copious hours yesterday installing it and trying to get it to work on his pc, so that he could then install it on mine, to no avail, I guess I'll live without it :)

My children like the Tux Paint, Mr Potato Guy and the gcompris Educational Suite, so I guess that the new OS gets the thumbs up from them too :)

It only leaves me to say that I cannot believe that I allowed it to take about 6 months for Simon to persuade me to even give it a try.. He should have sneaked on and done it whilst I was out rofl

djsroknrol
June 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
My wife tried Breezy Live on her Emachine 700Mhz machine last night, and was pleasantly suprised at how much faster things are...she's starting to hate XP, and watching me fiddle with my 'puter and Dapper has got her curious...I was really suprised at how everything just worked great on her machine out the gate...my AMD 1.6Mhz didn't run as well on the live CD...even networking worked flawlessly !!...She's looking for comparable programs and I think she's gona make the plunge....