PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Natty and Oneiric crash

harishgp
November 5th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hi all,
I am a newb , and tried to install Ubuntu on my new PC (Intel core i5 2310) on which Windows 7 runs fine . I have run Lucid for a short time in my previous system and tried to install it in the new PC. The install doesn't detect the Hard disk(I used the try ubuntu option and the disk utility found no hard disk)

Discouraged, I tried Natty , and surprisingly it detected the hard disk and installed just fine. It booted and worked fine for an hour before it crashed spectacularly, the screen became blank and none of the keys gave any response (including ctrl+alt+f1). I force shutdown it and on the reboot to, the same problem occured after an hour of working fine. I tried Oneiric and the exact same thing happened.

But curiously Maverick, worked fine except for a glaring display issue (the resolution did not match the monitor). When I tried a proprietary driver suggested by Ubuntu, after reboot the monitor displayed a 'AMD Unsupported hardware' and crashed moments later.

I thought maybe the new desktop thingy (Unity) might be the problem and tried Linux mint, but sadly the same thing happened (i.e) The one based on Maverick had the display driver problem, and the recent one based on Natty crashed within an hour of the boot.

I am tying this from Window 7, and am at a wit's end as to what to do. Please help.

Harish.

BillyBoa
November 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM
My opinion is to try the latest software, means 11.10 and kernel 3.0 for the moment. So insist to 11.10 and maybe try the 32bit installation to see if you have less problems. When you do the fresh installation, download all updates, restart your computer and then try to install the proprietary drivers. Hope is working.