PDA

View Full Version : General Thoughts

steveneddy
November 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have been around since the beginning of Ubuntu.

I used to love learning about my computer - why it did this or that - tinker - play with Beryl - fix Beryl - fix video drivers.

Then - I discovered the LTS. What a great concept. I haven't had to tweak of fiddle with it in such a long time.

I discovered that I just wanted the computer to work - to start every morning, let me read the news, check my e-mail and watch funny cats on You Tube.

I am glad that I learned about how to fix Linux if it gave me any problems, but now that I DON"T need to "fix" it - it has become actually very pleasant to use on a daily basis.

I rarely come to the UF anymore to post - and most of those I knew here have left.

But I'll always remember the good times UF.

sffvba[e0rt
November 5th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I have been around since the beginning of Ubuntu.

I used to love learning about my computer - why it did this or that - tinker - play with Beryl - fix Beryl - fix video drivers.

Then - I discovered the LTS. What a great concept. I haven't had to tweak of fiddle with it in such a long time.

I discovered that I just wanted the computer to work - to start every morning, let me read the news, check my e-mail and watch funny cats on You Tube.

I am glad that I learned about how to fix Linux if it gave me any problems, but now that I DON"T need to "fix" it - it has become actually very pleasant to use on a daily basis.

I rarely come to the UF anymore to post - and most of those I knew here have left.

But I'll always remember the good times UF.

Hey, there are always new friends here that could benefit from your wisdom :) and I hope that there are many more good times to be had by all :D

steveneddy
November 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I'm not leaving - I just don't visit this part of the internet much anymore -

My new wife loves Ubuntu though - we wiped Vista from her lappie months ago and she has never been happier with her PC since.

We love Ubuntu - we just don't tweak and play with it like we used to - it has become unnecessary to do so while using an LTS version of Ubuntu.

The latest things on my to do list are purchasing local music from the local musicians - support YOUR local music scene - so I have been listening to:

Andy Timmons - just cam out with a Sgt Peppers cover album

Buddy Whittington - great Texas rockin' blues

James Hinkle - Dallas transplant that came from Louisiana I believe

Jim Suhler and Monkey Beat - what a partier

I just get it off of iTunes and listen while I drive - great stuff!

Frogs Hair
November 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Not found said it well ! I am a fan of Andy Timmons also . :D

steveneddy
November 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I am a fan of Andy Timmons also . :D

Have you heard to Andy Timmons latest CD?

Andy Timmons plays Sgt Peppers - it's a nice little take on Sgt Peppers with a Texas guitar twist. Very nice to listen to.

Andy to me is kind of a cross between Satriani, Eric Johnson, a touch of SRV and a hint of Charlie Sexton-esque Texas rock stuff. Really like the alternate style of playing that Andy delivers.

BrokenKingpin
November 7th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I know what you mean. In the past I used to build all my machines with Debian from the ground up. I was always left with an awesome and fast system, I just don't have time for that anymore. This is why I switched to Ubuntu (Xubuntu now), things just work out of the box.

vicshrike
November 7th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Then you can look forward to the next LTS, 12.04 will be supported for five years.

DooX
November 7th, 2011, 09:10 PM
It's great if you enjoyed, i had much problems with my GPU and didn't enjoyed :D I could skip that knowledged.

On other topic, my local scene is not that awesome as yours :D This is best we have for years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHyCNBx1FIA

steveneddy
January 27th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Then you can look forward to the next LTS, 12.04 will be supported for five years.

We installed 12.04 this weekend.

Very nice - and my new band is starting to play a little:

http://www.backtrakmusic.com/