PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] How do I get a vertical panel with window buttons running horizontally.

williamgunn
November 5th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I'm running Xubuntu Oneiric on my laptop, where the screen is wider than it is long, so I'd like my panels on the side and not top and bottom. I can get that OK, but when I select vertical orientation, it has the window buttons for apps I have open (Firefox, Terminal, etc) also oriented vertical, so the label for what the app is runs also is vertical, making it harder to read. Is there some way to have the panel running vertically but the window buttons stacked vertically, instead of end-to-end, so the text labels on the read horizontally?

I've attached a screenshot of what my Firefox window looks like to help illustrate what I'm going for. I'd like my ubuntu panel to look like my firefox tabs. How do I do this?

gsmanners
November 5th, 2011, 01:31 AM
You can sort of do it if you make a panel specifically for the window buttons at maximum width.

realn
November 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Use KDE3. You can do with it much more than ay other DE released in the last couple of years. I still can't imagine how more recents DEs have gone so totally in the wrong direction.
Please see this (I know use KDE3 with vertical panel and it looks great).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1415782