PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] failure reported for LightDM at boot in Oneiric

Erik1984
November 4th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Ok, here is what happened:
11.04 was installed, working fine* but today I played around with the Oneiric Live CD. Than I decided to upgrade from the CD (that's an option during installation). The install went fine and on reboot I got a purple screen first, but in stead of proceeding to the login screen I saw lines of text displaying loaded modules and either [ok] or [fail]. First I thought it was completely stuck but all tty's worked fine, just not the graphical login screen. Tried a few things like installing all available updates from within tty and rebooting multiple times.

I hear you thinking: fresh install!, things can go wrong with upgrades I know ;) I also had a Xubuntu iso so tried a frehs install of Xubuntu 11.10 (installed it next to Ubuntu). Xubuntu installed and first seemed to boot fine (nice Splash screen) but then also showed the lines of text this time showing: LightDM [fail]

tl;dr-version: LightDM fails to start on upgraded 11.10 and freshly installed 11.10 Xubuntu. What to do?

* Yeah I know, if it ain't broken...