PDA

View Full Version : FCC loses control of Internet in US.

ki4jgt
November 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Know this is US based, but it does affect free software and the mean by which a majority of it is distributed. (at least for the US)

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/90909-ruling-on-fcc-hands-congress-a-tough-task

jmajeremy
November 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Good to see! I live in Canada where these sorts of laws are already less strict, but I do worry, living so close, that the USA will try to impose their laws on us...they're always complaining that Canada is a huge source of piracy...

jmajeremy
November 4th, 2011, 09:03 PM

Lucradia
November 5th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Good to see! I live in Canada where these sorts of laws are already less strict, but I do worry, living so close, that the USA will try to impose their laws on us...they're always complaining that Canada is a huge source of piracy...

That's not exactly why we want the FCC to have authority over Internet in the United States. We want the FCC to help bring down ISPs that limit competition in some states.

thatguruguy
November 5th, 2011, 01:05 AM
The article you linked to is a year and a half old.

ki4jgt
November 6th, 2011, 10:21 PM
That's not exactly why we want the FCC to have authority over Internet in the United States. We want the FCC to help bring down ISPs that limit competition in some states.

Certain ISP which have monopoly in certain areas like to raise prices and lower speed for those citizens. The FCC prevented them from lowering the speed and intercepting the traffic. Without FCC intervention, there's no telling what they will do.

The article you linked to is a year and a half old.

Sorry, I guess it's happened more than once. I just got the message in my email that they were introducing a new bill to congress.