PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite sports?

RavenOfOdin
June 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Mine would have to be under the "Martial arts" choice.

I absolutely LOVE Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Reshin
June 3rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
The ones I'm good at

As in: NONE

helpme
June 3rd, 2006, 09:27 AM
Football, that is, football as in soccer for our American friends. ;)

Seeing how my favorite team sometimes plays at the moment, I'd also file this under "Mixed martial arts". :???:

ember
June 3rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
Well, what about cycling, squash, jogging and swimming? :)

elamericano
June 3rd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Soccer and/or Rugby??? Maybe American Football and/or Rugby would make more sense? How on earth did you group those two together?

Anyway, Rockclimbing...hmmm, not there? Ok, soccer then.

curuxz
June 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM
Erm I take BIG issue with Soccer and/or rugby. being placed together, soccer fans in this country are mostly the morron scum (I did say mostly, I know some people enjoy it but you gotta admit the vast mass want to just mug you) where as rugby is a respectable sport that is totaly diffrent this is like putting skiball and tennis together just because they both have a ball in them.

As someone who likes rugby I really hate this poll for making such a nasty pairing.

Futher more.....where is Cricket?
Or.....Pool/Snooker, or any other of the sports I enjoy :(

Luffield
June 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
and how about
<----
?

bigken
June 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Football (english) :D

F1 Racing :cool:

Women lol ](*,)

Stone123
June 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
I wont vote untill i see soccer changed to football
l and football changed to american football, thats not football but handball.

vertigo
June 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
I chose hunting as its the closest to archery that you have on there. I also cycle.

curuxz
June 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
I chose hunting as its the closest to archery that you have on there. I also cycle.

I also cycle tho not as a sport, I just ride about 10-20 miles a week and then occationaly go for a couple hours round the park. :)

Its a great way to keep fit

vertigo
June 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Knee problems are keeping from cycling at the moment hopefully be able to ride again soon though.

ComplexNumber
June 3rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
why is american football listed as "football", and why are football and rugby lumped together while american footballl has its own entry (its only the americans who play american football)? everywhere else in the world except america, football and rugby are as seperate as football and ice hockey.
i voted for football (americans call it soccer. i'm beginning to really hate that word).

where's F1, rallying, dragster racing, and other motor sports? can't have a poll without them ;)

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
i love football, always have. participating in the same fantasy football league, with the same bunch of goofballs, for the past ten years, has just increased the enjoyment of it.

i love to play golf (7hdcp a few years ago), but i can't see why anyone who isn't a player would ever watch it.

ran track in high school and love to watch it. watching shawn crawford win gold in the 200m in the last olympics was a thing of beauty.

i love lifting weights, not that stupid booby-bui...i mean bodybuilding type crap, but real weight lifting: deadlift, full squat, clean&jerk, etc.

i joined an OT forum at an MMA site, not out of interest in the sport, but because they tend to have fewer posting rules. hanging around that crowd pushed my interest in boxing an k-1 to fanship of ufc and pride.

who tf can watch baseball? "swing and a miss, strike one. joe blow is batting .268 on rainy tuesdays..." zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ComplexNumber
June 3rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
who tf can watch baseball? "swing and a miss, strike one. joe blow is batting .268 on rainy tuesdays..." zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz many girls play it the UK. they call it rounders here.

curuxz
June 3rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
many girls play it the UK. they call it rounders here.

LMAO, oh dude you went to far the yanks are going to get you now :P

ComplexNumber
June 3rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
LMAO, oh dude you went to far the yanks are going to get you now :P well its true :D. the rules are almost exactly the same and rounders is where baseball come from. its almost exclusively women who play rounders......in the same way that its almost exclusively men who play football and rugby (although there are some really good ladies teams who show a lot of skill).

curuxz
June 3rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
well its true :D. the rules are almost exactly the same and rounders is where baseball come from. its almost exclusively women who play rounders in the same way that its almost exclusively men who play football.

no no...its only small girls that play rounders LOL

Oh I can see this thread getting nasty haha.

Personaly I think baseball is cool its like the americans lost the Cricket rull book when they left the UK and thought what the hell lets just smash the ball as hard as we can :D

ComplexNumber
June 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
no no...its only small girls that play rounders LOL

Oh I can see this thread getting nasty haha.

Personaly I think baseball is cool its like the americans lost the Cricket rull book when they left the UK and thought what the hell lets just smash the ball as hard as we can :D is it? thats makes sense then. hehe. the last time i ever saw anyone play rounders was when i was at school. us blokes played football whilst the girls has to play rounders :D

can you just imagine graham gooch playing for the chicago leopards (or whatever they're called)? :D

jamesford
June 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
i refuse to vote in a poll obviously created by and for ignorant yanks

openmind
June 3rd, 2006, 02:47 PM
Ummm, seeing as this is an International Forum, and seeing as Every other country in the world is gearing up towards The World Cup, and seeing as the entire world (bar one) calls it "Football" (or a derivative thereof), it might be prudent to do a little editing, don't you think?

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
Ummm, seeing as this is an International Forum, and seeing as Every other country in the world is gearing up towards The World Cup, and seeing as the entire world (bar one) calls it "Football" (or a derivative thereof), it might be prudent to do a little editing, don't you think?

as both soccer and football are on the list, it seems obvious what is meant. i notice you're not asking "how come you listed football twice and who calls it soccer anyways?" besides, most of us yanks don't know what the rest of world calls our football. i'm guessing something like 'gridies' or 'bend, toss and scamper'?

ComplexNumber
June 3rd, 2006, 03:06 PM
besides, most of us yanks don't know what the rest of world calls our football. i'm guessing something like 'gridies' or 'bend, toss and scamper'? everyone calls it "american football". thats how its always been referred to.

openmind
June 3rd, 2006, 03:06 PM
as both soccer and football are on the list, it seems obvious what is meant. i notice you're not asking "how come you listed football twice and who calls it soccer anyways?" besides, most of us yanks don't know what the rest of world calls our football. i'm guessing something like 'gridies' or 'bend, toss and scamper'?

Yeah, you and me know what he meant, but if you read some of the previous comments, you'll see that nearly all outside the US have some problems with the way it's worded. I just wanted to attempt some "Detente" that's all.

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah, you and me know what he meant, but if you read some of the previous comments, you'll see that nearly all outside the US have some problems with the way it's worded. I just wanted to attempt some "Detente" that's all.

as long as his meaning was clear, there should be no problem. the inclusion of soccer, at all, was the attempt at detente.

Titus A Duxass
June 3rd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Pocket Billiards.

openmind
June 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
........... the inclusion of soccer, at all, was the attempt at detente.
Thank you for proving my original point, that attitude is alienating not just The Europeans here, but anyone who isn't American. Perhaps even putting "For Americans only" in the heading would help.

Including The World's most popular game (By a very Long Way!) in a poll as an afterthought on an international forum is insensitive at best.

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Thank you for proving my original point, that attitude is alienating not just The Europeans here, but anyone who isn't American. Perhaps even putting "For Americans only" in the heading would help.

Including The World's most popular game (By a very Long Way!) in a poll as an afterthought on an international forum is insensitive at best.

i don't think the intent behind calling american football 'football' was to create an international incident. if a non-american were addressing an american and refered to soccer as 'football', i'm sure the same would be true. getting bent out of shape over this, imltho, is a bit silly.

imagine
June 3rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
The options should be called:
* Football (American)
* Football (Soccer)
* Rugby

Of course this can be slighty changed, eg "Football (Rugby)" or "American Football". However just picking one game as "Football" shows disrespect to all the others. Especially because the word "soccer" is basically frowned upon everywhere except in North America.

openmind
June 3rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
The options should be called:
* Football (American)
* Football (Soccer)
* Rugby

Of course this can be slighty changed, eg "Football (Rugby)" or "American Football". However just picking one game as "Football" shows disrespect to all the others. Especially because the word "soccer" is basically frowned upon everywhere except in North America.

There, now how hard would that be? It isn't about "International incidents", or getting "Bent out of shape", it's about respecting every Nationality's viewpoint on this forum instead of just one.

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
There, now how hard would that be?

totally unnecessary. so, do you have a favorite sport?

openmind
June 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
totally unnecessary........................

Just a quick, informal count, but of the 16 (or so) "Non-American" replies to this thread 11 of them mentioned issues with the wording/sports to some extent or another. Two actually posted saying that they wouldn't take part in the poll because of this!

Clearly this poll is divisive along National lines, Probably too late for this one, but in future it would bode well for us as a community to respect the other Nationalities here.

RavenOfOdin
June 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Soccer and/or Rugby??? Maybe American Football and/or Rugby would make more sense? How on earth did you group those two together?

I grouped the two together because they can both turn real violent real fast. As I'm sure any fan of either sport can attest to. ;)

1) It is an American who put this poll up. ***SEE BELOW FOR THE REST OF MY COMMENTS ABOUT THIS***
2) The poll contents cannot be changed, nor can a new poll be put in its place, as I tried to do via edit post.

i joined an OT forum at an MMA site, not out of interest in the sport, but because they tend to have fewer posting rules. hanging around that crowd pushed my interest in boxing an k-1 to fanship of ufc and pride.

Who are your favorite fighters? In either one?
Personally, I take a liking to Matt Hughes and George St. Pierre.

I used to be a fan of Liddell but came to realize that he's an a-hole out of the Octagon.

i refuse to vote in a poll obviously created by and for ignorant yanks

If you refuse to vote, refuse to post. Easy as 1-2-3.

I am absolutely disgusted with the way half of you have reacted. Calling football "Football" and soccer "Soccer" isn't an attempt to start World War III. Have some common sense, people.

curuxz
June 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Im obstaining untill the insult of confusing Football and Rugby is removed AND Cricket a major world wide sport much bigger than Baseball, Hocky and Pong combined is added to the list.

I am not being bitchy about it I just really don't like the choices given and think they should be changed pronto before this thread ends up in the backyard.

Lets keep it friendly and think about peoples feelings im sure Raven did not mean to offend he cant help the fact that he is a Kubuntu user....THAT WAS A JOKE!!!! for god sake dont flame me

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Just a quick, informal count, but of the 16 (or so) "Non-American" replies to this thread 11 of them mentioned issues with the wording/sports to some extent or another. Two actually posted saying that they wouldn't take part in the poll because of this!

Clearly this poll is divisive along National lines, Probably too late for this one, but in future it would bode well for us as a community to respect the other Nationalities here.

ridiculous. you don't see anyone whining "stop calling it 'american football'. it's just 'football'!", do you? there's no insult in an american using american terminology. the only risk is being misunderstood and that was taken care of by including both 'football' and 'soccer'. calling restoftheworldfootball, 'soccer', is no more of an insult than calling baseball, 'rounders'.

Simian
June 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
I wanted to vote soccer (football) but not rugby. Very different game.

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Who are your favorite fighters? In either one?
Personally, I take a liking to Matt Hughes and George St. Pierre.

I used to be a fan of Liddell but came to realize that he's an a-hole out of the Octagon.

i don't really have a favorite. i like randleman for what he did to crocop. genki sudo (whenever i see gksudo, genki comes to mind). silva's scarey. i was glad to see hughes beat gracie.

openmind
June 3rd, 2006, 07:30 PM
ridiculous. ..................................

No Fucsia, only ridiculous if you are not the offended/disrespected/insulted. Look at the replies, it's not just me. It's not just one or two, it's almost all non-American replies. Ask them if they think it's ridiculous.

You sound like the guy who couldn't understand why his work colleagues don't like being called "Chicks" (After all, it's harmless!).

Or The old man I once met in Atlanta who used the "N-word" in everyday conversation and couldn't begin to comprehend why people found it insulting; ("I've been using it all my life")

Not that I'm suggesting in any way that you would do those things, I'm just using those examples to illustrate the point that if a bunch of people find something disrespectful, one of the hardest things to do is to get the perpertrator (For want of a better word!) to see it from their viewpoint.

Not a big deal unless you're on an International Forum where visitors from every corner of the globe come to seek advice/help/fun. If several mention that they find something disrespectful then it usually is.

No matter how you see it.

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 07:40 PM
No Fucsia, only ridiculous if you are not the offended/disrespected/insulted. Look at the replies, it's not just me. It's not just one or two, it's almost all non-American replies. Ask them if they think it's ridiculous.

You sound like the guy who couldn't understand why his work colleagues don't like being called "Chicks" (After all, it's harmless!).

Or The old man I once met in Atlanta who used the "N-word" in everyday conversation and couldn't begin to comprehend why people found it insulting; ("I've been using it all my life")

Not that I'm suggesting in any way that you would do those things, I'm just using those examples to illustrate the point that if a bunch of people find something disrespectful, one of the hardest things to do is to get the perpertrator (For want of a better word!) to see it from their viewpoint.

Not a big deal unless you're on an International Forum where visitors from every corner of the globe come to seek advice/help/fun. If several mention that they find something disrespectful then it usually is.

No matter how you see it.

wow! i had no idea the 'S' word was such an insult. i guess i've learned something today. i'm guessing RavenofOdin is equally unaware of reviving someone's fears and meant no insult. so, can we get back to sports? (or, should it be 'sport'?)

curuxz
June 3rd, 2006, 07:59 PM
I dont consider the word soccer an insult, when I said I was insulted it was because of the grouping of football with Rugby which are 2 completly seperate sports, its like grouping hunting and mob hits together just because they both involve shooting things.

Not cool

Rikostan
June 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
I enjoy watching American football the most.

imagine
June 3rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Something else: How come Tennis is missing? And if hunting is supposed to be a sport then racing, billiard and chess should be in the list too. Many people play that.

@fuscia
I wonder why I see you participating in every discussion about football (soccer), although you repeatedly wrote that you don't care about that game.

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
@fuscia
I wonder why I see you participating in every discussion about football (soccer), although you repeatedly wrote that you don't care about that game.

i don't.

isotonic
June 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hafta agree there old bean.

Somebody once said that -
"football (soccer) is a gentleman's game played by ruffians, and rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen"

Erm I take BIG issue with Soccer and/or rugby. being placed together, soccer fans in this country are mostly the morron scum (I did say mostly, I know some people enjoy it but you gotta admit the vast mass want to just mug you) where as rugby is a respectable sport that is totaly diffrent this is like putting skiball and tennis together just because they both have a ball in them.

As someone who likes rugby I really hate this poll for making such a nasty pairing.

Futher more.....where is Cricket?
Or.....Pool/Snooker, or any other of the sports I enjoy :(

fuscia
June 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
i think of a sport as a game that requires use of one's athletic ability (regardless of how much or little one might have). i guess you could argue that the delicate feel required for billiards is an athletic ability (cards and chess wouldn't qualify. they're games), but i think of that as more of a skill than an athletic ability. i've often been in discussions as to whether or not golf is a sport. ultimately, i guess it depends on how hard you swing.

ComplexNumber
June 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
Hafta agree there old bean.

Somebody once said that -
"football (soccer) is a gentleman's game played by ruffians, and rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen"

many of the football thugs are lawyers and barristers by day. i think the rugby quote came about because of its (popularised) origin at rugby public school. rumour has it that rugby was first played by the ancient chinese.
i have to admit, though, football has a much more thuggish element to it.

djsroknrol
June 3rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
Soccer...yeah, baby....I was on all city team back east in school....

LMP900
June 3rd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Favorite sport to play would be basketball. To watch, it would have to be motorsports. (as you can tell from my name and avatar)

RavenOfOdin
June 3rd, 2006, 11:11 PM
I dont consider the word soccer an insult, when I said I was insulted it was because of the grouping of football with Rugby which are 2 completly seperate sports, its like grouping hunting and mob hits together just because they both involve shooting things.

Gee, mob hits are a sport? Someone call the Cosa Nostra.

i have to admit, though, football has a much more thuggish element to it.

I agree. I don't watch football for that and a few other reasons.

Openmind, you have a PM, I would respectfully request that you keep it in private - as between two people.

Biltong (Dee)
June 3rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
It's a bit too late now, but you really should have included motor racing.
Indy Car, Nascar, F1, A1...hell, if it has four wheels and it goes I love it. :-)

rado_london
June 4th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Nice poll mate. I just dont get why you have so useless sports and no tennis or F1?
Example of useless is american footbal (nothing personal people:)

ComplexNumber
June 4th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Nice poll mate. I just dont get why you have so useless sports and no tennis or F1?
Example of useless is american footbal (nothing personal people:) exactly. there are SIGNIFICANTLY more people in the world who are interested in F1 than american football.....not to mention all the other motor sports. it just seems so illogical that american football should be listed as the 3rd option when there are so very few people in the world who are even remotely interested in it. i was led to believe that ubuntuforums was global.
what about baseball? - thats the 1st option int he poll, and nobody is interested in it. well, nobody thats brave enough to admit to it anyway ;). even hunting has more people interested in it, and for someone to be interested in hunting has got to be sad.

xmastree
June 4th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Motorsports

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 05:26 AM
car racing, to me, is not a sport. it's more like advanced rush hour.

curuxz
June 4th, 2006, 05:32 AM

lol

you cant do it can you, everything has to be funny from you ;)

anyone would think your bidding for t-shirt writer of the year...

briancurtin
June 4th, 2006, 05:33 AM
ok, thats cool.

briancurtin
June 4th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Example of useless is american footbal (nothing personal people:)
haha yep. strength, agility, speed, quickness, coordination, and all of the other aspects of football are just useless.

the only people that say football is useless are usually people who have none of the possible abilities needed to play it.

xmastree
June 4th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I'm sure synchronised swimming is more your style.

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I'm sure synchronised swimming is more your style.

playing shark is my game, pal.

briancurtin
June 4th, 2006, 05:51 AM
what about marco polo

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 05:52 AM
what about marco polo

never heard of him.

RavenOfOdin
June 4th, 2006, 08:28 AM
what about baseball? - thats the 1st option int he poll, and nobody is interested in it.

It surprises me, that someone in the pro-soccer camp would say this.

and for someone to be interested in hunting has got to be sad.

I very much disagree.

never heard of him.

Its a stupid game where a bunch of people in shorts get in the pool and go after each other. :p

curuxz
June 4th, 2006, 08:31 AM
what about marco polo

lmao play this in a public pool see the funny looks you get when 99% of the people arnt playing the game.

isotonic
June 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM

isotonic
June 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM

KiwiNZ
June 4th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Motorsport
Rugby
Cricket

curuxz
June 4th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Motorsport
Rugby
Cricket

Good man, at last someone with my taste in sports, hardly suprising you like cricket and rugby considering your from new zealand ;)

H@ttory91
June 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM
ehmmm.... where is Athletics ? :evil: :evil: :evil:
well i practise Athletics but i like very much watch soccer match in TV :D
bye

Lopsicle
June 4th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Football...football ....football thats the one that the whole world plays, and was invented and called football hundreds of years before america was called america.

Another thing have you noticed there even stealing our language now.:eek:
it's no longer English its English/American ](*,)

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Football...football ....football thats the one that the whole world plays, and was invented and called football hundreds of years before america was called america.

Another thing have you noticed there even stealing our language now.:eek:
it's no longer English its English/American ](*,)[/QUOTE]

why don't you start a seperate thread about how much you hate the colonies and let's leave this one to sports, whatever tf they might be named?

Lopsicle
June 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Wow I didnt think even YOU where that smart/smug, knows what Im thinking and puts words in mouth *sigh*

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Wow I didnt think even YOU where that smart/smug, knows what Im thinking and puts words in mouth *sigh*

is that a 'no', then?

Lopsicle
June 4th, 2006, 02:08 PM
quick aswell

giuliastro
June 4th, 2006, 02:18 PM
This poll is pretty funny.. "Soccer and/or rugby"? What about "football and/or rugby" would it be the same? I noticed that there are sports which are only played in the USA.. who cares about baseball anywhere else than in USA? ](*,)

curuxz
June 4th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Dude you wana have a sarcasm war with fuscia hahaa good luck buddy id be suprised to see anyone win, his/her posts are always funny, sometimes ironic and often sarcastic.

But you do make a point there is no such thing as English/american or my pet peve English (GB) its not like we are just another country using it, anyway sports here :)

I like sports but not football, anyone watch the cricket now its not on bbc :(?

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
who cares about baseball anywhere else than in USA? ](*,)

japan, many latin american countries, probably others. baseball is great on the radio. it allows the listener to imagine something better is happening.

ComplexNumber
June 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
baseball...... it allows the listener to imagine something better is happening. so true :D.

This poll is pretty funny.. "Soccer and/or rugby"? What about "football and/or rugby" would it be the same? I noticed that there are sports which are only played in the USA.. who cares about baseball anywhere else than in USA? ](*,) its not just baseball......nobody cares about the first 3 listed sports in the poll anywhere in the world except america. it seems to me that the poll is far from global, but rather a reflection of the tastes of a cross section of Insular Road, Brooklyn, New York, America.

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 02:39 PM
its not just baseball......nobody cares about the first 3 listed sports in the poll anywhere in the world except america. it seems to me that the poll is far from global, but rather a reflection of the tastes of a cross section of Insular Road, Brooklyn, New York, America.

baseball is not just popular in america. japan is nuts about it. it's a great part of cuba's national pride. olympic basketball has a long history of russian domination.

btw. which sport is called 'football' in canada?

isotonic
June 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM

isotonic
June 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
to that list add... hockey...<...;)

you must not get carolina hurricanes games where you are.

isotonic
June 4th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Biltong (Dee)
June 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Motorsport
Rugby
Cricket

KiwiNZ has a point. In the Southern Hemisphere the above sports are almost a religion.

Lopsicle
June 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Right...who likes my wallpaper? \\:D/

I shall be at Frankfurt on the 10th :p

openmind
June 4th, 2006, 03:09 PM
the world cup is the biggest sports tournament on earth. bigger than the olympics. at least half the planet will watch at least one game in this month.

According to FIFA 1.1 Billion people worldwide watched the last World Cup Final, over ten times the number of the last Superbowl (95 Million).

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
According to FIFA 1.1 Billion people worldwide watched the last World Cup Final, over ten times the number of the last Superbowl (95 Million).

and more people use windows than linux...

the original question was "what are your favorite sports?" despite the obvious flaw in asking about sports (plural) in a poll format in which one can only make one choice, i think the intent of the question was clear.

openmind
June 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
and more people use windows than linux...

the original question was "what are your favorite sports?" despite the obvious flaw in asking about sports (plural) in a poll format in which one can only make one choice, i think the intent of the question was clear.
Dude, give it a rest, you're getting boring.](*,)

The post (and hence the quote) was in reply to a comment made by isotonic about The World Cup being the "biggest sports tournament on earth". If you take that personally, you have a problem.

Sheesh, get over it.

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
lol!

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 03:37 PM
so, someone explain the appeal of soccer to me. (no offense intended. i'll get too confused if i start calling it football.) i get its' appeal even less than i get the fascination with baseball and nascar.

Biltong (Dee)
June 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM
so, someone explain the appeal of soccer to me. (no offense intended. i'll get too confused if i start calling it football.) i get its' appeal even less than i get the fascination with baseball and nascar.

You gotta know the rules. Once you know them you have more of a chance of enjoying it.

It's like Ice Hockey in South Africa. When they opened up a rink in Cape Town it was a case of Huh?
Now we understand how it is played it is fun to watch :-)

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 03:51 PM
You gotta know the rules. Once you know them you have more of a chance of enjoying it.

It's like Ice Hockey in South Africa. When they opened up a rink in Cape Town it was a case of Huh?
Now we understand how it is played it is fun to watch :-)

isn't the play of hockey and soccer similar? (edit:<---- try reading my question out loud. it sounds goofy.)

ComplexNumber
June 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM
so, someone explain the appeal of soccer to me. (no offense intended. i'll get too confused if i start calling it football.) i get its' appeal even less than i get the fascination with baseball and nascar. move out of america to anywhere in the world and you will see ;). you will then become acutely aware of the fact that baseball, basketball, and american football don't even exist.

openmind
June 4th, 2006, 04:25 PM
isn't the play of hockey and soccer similar? (edit:<---- try reading my question out loud. it sounds goofy.)

Yeah, I suppose there are similarities in that they're both "free-flowing" games, with passing, shooting and goals at either end. After that though it starts to get a little complicated. I wouldn't begin to know how to describe it to someone who doesn't watch it, it'd probably take quite a while.

Biltong (Dee)
June 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
ComplexNumber, please tone it down.

Yes Fuscia they are similar in a fashion. As OpenMind has stated they are both free-flowing games and are fast and intense.

Any sport can be enjoyed if one puts ones mind to it, and it should never be a case of "us vs them"

ComplexNumber
June 4th, 2006, 04:44 PM
ComplexNumber, please tone it down.
ok, point taken :)

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 05:01 PM
it seems there is a similarity in soccer, hockey, lacrosse and even basketball, in that there are nets, front lines, defensive lines and goalies (no goalies in basketball, though). are there also offsides rules in soccer? is that box around the front of a soccer goal like the crease in hockey? is rugby at all similar? or, is rugby more similar to american football (in the same way that mars is closer to earth than uranus)?

G Morgan
June 4th, 2006, 05:20 PM
1.Rugby Union
2.Cricket

The thought of the next couple of weeks of seeing footballers (soccer players outside Europe) rolling around on the floor crying and kissing each other while moronic fans cause riots makes me shudder. I was beginning to gain some respect for Football over the years the finals have been held in Cardiff. Then they let the Leeds lot down there on the last day and they all started fights with the Munster RU fans.

All of this is of course outside of hearing 1966 mentioned at least 5 times every minute.

openmind
June 4th, 2006, 05:27 PM
it seems there is a similarity in soccer, hockey, lacrosse and even basketball, in that there are nets, front lines, defensive lines and goalies (no goalies in basketball, though). are there also offsides rules in soccer? is that box around the front of a soccer goal like the crease in hockey? is rugby at all similar? or, is rugby more similar to american football (in the same way that mars is closer to earth than uranus)? Rugby is far more similar (excuse the bad grammar!) to (American!;)) Football, but without the forward pass. If I remember correctly, Rugby entering North America via Canada was the precursor to Football as the US knows it today.

Seeing as Soccer was being played when Rugby was "invented", then Soccer is American Football's Grandaddy!!:-D

So it's all just a family spat!:)

Biltong (Dee)
June 4th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Well put Openmind!

G Morgan
June 4th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Rugby is far more similar (excuse the bad grammar!) to (American!;)) Football, but without the forward pass. If I remember correctly, Rugby entering North America via Canada was the precursor to Football as the US knows it today.

Seeing as Soccer was being played when Rugby was "invented", then Soccer is American Football's Grandaddy!!:-D

So it's all just a family spat!:)

Actually Rugby is older than Football (Soccer) by about 10 years. Both games formed around the same time when generic football at the time was split with Eton and Rugby public schools having a disagreement on whether the focus should be playing with your feet or hands. The first Rugby club is older than the first Football club and the first Rugby international was played before the first Football international.

It's a common misconception that Rugby was an offshot of Football. It certainly was an offshot of the older football game where just about anything went but Football and Rugby were both offshots of this game.

Anyway just thought I'd clear that up.

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
i saw one game of rugby, as a kid, and my only recollection of it is that it seemed like a bunch of guys in a pile, in about a foot of water. how many players? what are the positions, etc.?

isotonic
June 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM

G Morgan
June 4th, 2006, 05:55 PM
i saw one game of rugby, as a kid, and my only recollection of it is that it seemed like a bunch of guys in a pile, in about a foot of water. how many players? what are the positions, etc.?

15 players a team seperated into 8 forwards and 7 backs. The forwards are the guys who do all the physical stuff and actually win the game.

The backs are reknown for putting their hands in their pockets and for readjusting their hair while the forwards are taking the next crucial step to winning the game.

Essentially the forwards domain is controlling posession. They provide both quantity and quality of ball for the backs to use. When the backs do get the ball and manage not to drop it their job is to cut the opposing defence and put points on the board.

You can probably guess where I played from my description :mrgreen: .

isotonic
June 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM

openmind
June 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Actually Rugby is older than Football (Soccer) by about 10 years. Both games formed around the same time when generic football at the time was split with Eton and Rugby public schools having a disagreement on whether the focus should be playing with your feet or hands. The first Rugby club is older than the first Football club and the first Rugby international was played before the first Football international.

It's a common misconception that Rugby was an offshot of Football. It certainly was an offshot of the older football game where just about anything went but Football and Rugby were both offshots of this game.

Anyway just thought I'd clear that up.
So that old story I learned as a kid ain't true? Say it ain't so!!

Some kids at Rugby school were playing Football and one of them (Webb Ellis?) decided to pick it up and run with it? All Lies? Noooooo!!

Next you'll be telling me that Santa isn't real either.

Ps. I bet your first name is Gareth!

G Morgan
June 4th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Yep, one of the most common names in Wales given our national sport and Edwards prowess at 9.

Webb Ellis did exist (indeed the RWC trophy is named after him) but he was the captain of the Rugby schools team and helped them construct the rules of the game. The urban myth exists because of the confusion between Football the historic game* and Football as it was after Eton setup the rules for modern Football.

*which began as a sport which was basically no holds barred and the objective was to get the ball back to your home town (obviously 2 towns competed) in a capture the flagesque way. Eventually the game was moved onto a pitch (it'd be a bit hard to play London vs Manchester given the distance) and several scores were allowed rather than 1 score ends the game. At this point the games parted ways.

Biltong (Dee)
June 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Eventually the game was moved onto a pitch (it'd be a bit hard to play London vs Manchester given the distance)...

South Africa vs Wales would have been interesting... Knowing our lot, we would have drowned the Welsh in the Atlantic and walked off whistling... :-)

fuscia
June 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM
i was gonna have a go at explaining the offside rule but I couldn't be arsed, so here ya go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offside_law_(football)

(note the classification my american chums!)

:p:D:mrgreen:

i suppose it might have been helpful to have done this earlier, but while i was in wikipedia, i looked up 'football'. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football
it seems they are all related, more or less. there is also the explanation that the term 'football' comes from being played on foot (as opposed to 'on horse') rather than with foot. to do the poll correctly, we'd need seperate catagories for each: american football, association football, australian rules football (sometimes known as 'helpful hints & suggestions football', i'm guessing), canadian football (and there could be an argument made for college football being considered seperately, i suppose) etc. but, that would have spoiled one of sport's main functions in civilization: an outlet for stupid arguments that have little effect on one's real life.

H@ttory91
June 4th, 2006, 08:21 PM
man, watching paint dry is more exciting than watching athletics (and olympics).:rolleyes:
man... i'm italian user and i dont understand that you to want tell me but...yes it's boring...but it's a one of very little sports that you get prouds...
joke. :D :D :D :D

23meg
June 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Tennis, but I'm a bad player.

Lopsicle
June 4th, 2006, 08:54 PM
take "goldenballs" off it and it would be perfect!:p

Hey dont you disrespect our captain :p

xmastree
June 5th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Rugby is far more similar (excuse the bad grammar!) to (American!;)) Football, but without the forward pass. In rugby, the guy with the ball runs forwards and throws it backwards.
In American football, the guy with the ball runs backwards and throws it forwards.
Meanwhile the rest of the players line up, run into each other and fall over. :rolleyes:

AFAIK, In rugby you can only tackle the guy who actually has the ball. Also, one can only pass backwards, so when one guy is running with the ball, the rest of the team run alongside but behind him, at about 4 or 8 o'clock IYKWIM.

Then, just as he's about to get trampled by the other team, he'll throw it to another member of his own team (alongside but behind) to continue getting the ball to the other end.

Once there, the ball must be touched to the ground (not dropped) while the player is still holding it. That's a touchdown.

xmastree
June 5th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Both games formed around the same time when generic football at the time was split with Eton and Rugby public schools having a disagreement on whether the focus should be playing with your feet or hands.Hmm... So, two very respected schools disagreeing about whether a game called football should be played with the feet or the hands.

It's not rocket science, is it? :rolleyes:

<bait>Baseball? That's just rounders, isn't it? </bait> :-$

fuscia
June 5th, 2006, 05:14 AM

<spittingoutbait>i thought 'rounders' were some kind of dry toast cracker.</spittingoutbait>

ComplexNumber
June 5th, 2006, 05:31 AM
<spittingoutbait>i thought 'rounders' were some kind of dry toast cracker.</spittingoutbait> find out all about rounders and baseball from here:

Rounders is a sport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport) which originated in the United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom). A team consists of a maximum of 15 players and a minimum of 6 of whom no more than 9 may be on the field at one time. [1] (http://www.nra-rounders.co.uk/rules.html) The teams try to score points ("rounders") by completing a circuit "'round" the posts. The sport is very old and it has been documented as early as the seventeenth century. Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball) (both the "New York game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knickerbocker_Rules)" and the now-defunct "Massachusetts game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_ball)") as well as softball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softball) evolved from rounders (see origins of baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_baseball)); the earliest literary mention of rounders calls the game "base-ball". Rounders is now played on all levels from school level to international (in and around England)
raed the rest here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders)

isotonic
June 5th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Lopsicle
June 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Becks isn't even 1/10th the player Gerrard is.

It's a good job both are on our side then :roll:

ComplexNumber
June 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Becks isn't even 1/10th the player Gerrard is. for most things (everything except taking set pieces and marketing for clubs), hes rubbish. IMO hes got no skill on the ball. he's just accurate with set pieces

Lopsicle
June 5th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I've had it with this thread. Im not wasting my time with tossers.

fuscia
June 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM

as in 'salad'?

ComplexNumber
June 5th, 2006, 07:33 PM
as in 'salad'? i was thinking of pancakes. *looks around for loads of people wearing a chefs hat clutching a large jug of lemon juice*

RavenOfOdin
June 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM

LOL, the last time I heard that term I was hanging around goth clubs.

isotonic
June 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM

isotonic
June 5th, 2006, 08:59 PM

G Morgan
June 5th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Hmm... So, two very respected schools disagreeing about whether a game called football should be played with the feet or the hands.

It's not rocket science, is it? :rolleyes:

I'm sure you've read the entire post and know full well that the foot in football refers to the fact its played on foot as opposed to on horseback :wink: .

<bait>Theres really no argument between football and rugby they are entirely different sports. One involves a lot of strategy, pain and general physical prowess. The other involves men kissing each other everytime they score. So really they're far too different to make any sort of meaningful comparison.</bait>

:mrgreen:

Biltong (Dee)
June 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I wonder of the same thing will happen this year as it has in previous World Cups. Everyone pretends disinterest until it is their country's turn to play. :-)
I mean, the USA play the Czech Rep. soon. I refuse to believe that there won't be TV's on all over the place. In fact, I think that if you want to do business with the USA don't try it at around 12 noon on July 12... (18H00 Germany time)

xtacocorex
June 5th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Too bad curling wasn't on the list; quite possibly the most exhilarating sport ever. This is no joke.

And into the "Football" debate, you forgot Australian Rules, unless I didn't read 13 pages correctly.

xmastree
June 6th, 2006, 05:03 AM
<bait>Theres really no argument between football and rugby they are entirely different sports. One involves a lot of strategy, pain and general physical prowess. The other involves men kissing each other everytime they score.</bait>Or...

One is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen, the other is a gentlemen's game played by hooligans. :mrgreen:

I remember once, as an Englishman living in Scotland, in a pub watching an England v Scotland rugby match. Lots of cheering, lots of friendly banter (ach, ye f****** english b****** ye...) and England won (of course). After which it was handshakes all round and 'well done' for a good game. :grin:

If that had been a fotball match, I wouldn't have got out in one piece. In fact, I wouldn't have gone in there in the first place. :shock:

briancurtin
June 6th, 2006, 05:05 AM
move out of america to anywhere in the world and you will see ;). you will then become acutely aware of the fact that baseball, basketball, and american football don't even exist.
thats because no one else can play them...

xmastree
June 6th, 2006, 05:15 AM
thats because no one else can play them...
Oh, I dunno. Here in the Philippines basketball is the national sport. Way bigger than anything else.
http://www.pba.com.ph/

And: http://www.google.com/search?q=philippines+basketball gives over 5.5 Million hits.

fuscia
June 6th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Too bad curling wasn't on the list; quite possibly the most exhilarating sport ever. This is no joke.

exhilirating? i don't see it. 'mesmerizing' would be better. watching it is like trying to catch a mannequin moving.

scrape
December 10th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Why bundle soccer and rugby?

And why is football in there twice? football and soccer .
ain't these two the same?

FC Twente....

AndyCooll
December 10th, 2006, 02:33 AM
I voted football. There's only one game of football and it's the version that the whole world plays. They can call the American version what they want, but it ain't football.

:cool:

xopher
December 10th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I do a lot of running and other types of sports, but Martial Arts is my favorite. Muay Thai (Thai-boxing) specifically. Just love it ;)

iPower
December 10th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Pong :D

Stew2
December 10th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Is touch typing a sport? :D

Regards,
Stew2

Xzallion
December 10th, 2006, 04:49 AM
No wrestling? and many would disagree, but what about cheerleading? The only two sports I was involved in and enjoyed in high school, and they don't make the list. There really should of been a "Other, please explain" option.

SlCKB0Y
December 10th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Rugby fans dont want to be lumped in with American Football fans
:mad:

Circus-Killer
December 10th, 2006, 07:29 AM
i said pong, but thats only cos i thought you meant bong. :-k

Simian
December 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM
I am dissapointed to see that Doom 3 isn't on the list :(

steven8
December 21st, 2006, 10:03 AM
How about Drake hunting!?! :-)

Gargamella
December 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM
volleyball

ixus_123
December 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM
Running - anything from 5k to marathon but the poll didn't that

Onyros
December 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM
I've played everything from football (soccer for the yankees out there :P), basketball (even though I was too small to be playing it, eventually - can you imagine a 5ft9 power forward? :P), handball (goalie, kinda suicidal manner of playing that particular sport), praticed boxing for a couple of years, played tennis but was rubbish unless playing doubles with my brother, and now excel at... lifting of the (beer) mug.

My favourite sport is, undoubtedly, basketball. I don't relate to the whole NBA subculture, but I love the sport itself, and have become, through the years, an avid Golden State Warriors fan (since the golden RUN TMC era). Go figure...

hoagie
December 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM
Football (no not the american one, I get that, I always get squashed and kicked out).
Mostly I play tennis, but it's not in the poll.

shining
December 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM
kayaking, skiing and mountain biking.

kazuya
December 21st, 2006, 03:50 PM
basketball is my favorite. I play it as well. I'm good at it, but at the intra mural level not NBA level or even division 1 college level.

I love martial arts also.