PDA

View Full Version : News for Mint fans

PRC09
November 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Just some news for the interested...

http://blog.linuxmint.com/

bug67
November 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I'll probably give it a go. There were some things about Mint 11 I didn't like so, I've been using 10 waiting for 12 for what seems like forever!

I'm still not sold on Gnome 3 or it's dirivitives (MGSE). We'll see. At this point I'm leaning heavily toward (X)ubuntu.

cecilpierce
November 4th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I see Mint is #1 in Distrowatch, looks like Ubuntu is falling with the Unity thing :P

Brushstroke
November 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I've been waiting for this. Like bug67 said, there were some things that I didn't like with Mint 11 and I've been eager to try Gnome 3 on Mint. I've tried it on Ubuntu but it's just not the same. With Canonical's focus on the Unity desktop (which I'm not at all a fan of), Ubuntu's given no love to Gnome 3 and it feels like a very incomplete experience. I hope Mint 12 picks up where I believe Ubuntu has fallen short. I'm also very curious about this MATE desktop.

bug67
November 4th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I'm also very curious about this MATE desktop.

Clem has been working super close with the MATE developer.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1858282&highlight=Mate

However, in my opinion, it's dead technology. I do think Gnome 3 is the future but, that's just it. It's not quite there yet.

23dornot23d
November 4th, 2011, 10:10 PM
our vision of an Operating System is that your computer should work for you and make you feel comfortable. So with this in mind, Gnome 3 in Linux Mint 12 needs to let you interact with your computer in two different ways: the traditional way, and the new way, and it’s up to you to decide which way you want to use.

and thats it in a nutshell ...... a different approach to how it treats the people that want to use
it ......

If my computer delivers me all the options and keeps me working ..... then there is no reason
to need to change to another distro .... luckily the ones that do know workarounds have stayed - but when the workarounds take more and more to do to keep your system
working for you as you like it .....

At what point do you say enough of customizing this mobile phone interface on the left to
work on Dual Screen or even a large desktop screen ....

IWantFroyo
November 4th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I see Mint is #1 in Distrowatch, looks like Ubuntu is falling with the Unity thing :P

Its been first in the "Last 7 days" menu for a really long time.

gsmanners
November 4th, 2011, 10:30 PM
The main features in MGSE are:

The bottom panel
The application menu
The window list
A task-centric desktop (i.e. you switch between windows, not applications)
Visible system tray icons

MGSE also includes additional extensions such as a media player indicator, and multiple enhancements to Gnome 3.

This is the best thing connected to Gnome I have read in many years. If they can get that working reliably, they are going to rule the desktop.

amjjawad
November 4th, 2011, 10:37 PM
http://www.linuxmint.com/tmp/blog/1851/linuxmint12-preview.png

This looks very promising and challenging :D
What? did someone say Unity? :P

amjjawad
November 4th, 2011, 10:39 PM

:P
Well, that's only when there is a new release for one of Mint Variant :)

cbowman57
November 4th, 2011, 10:42 PM
For you bold adventurers, here's the MGSE git: https://github.com/linuxmint/MGSE

Here's a shot of the Mint menu extension in the top panel (bottom panel disabled, menu defaults to top. I also edited out the word "Menu" from the extension.js)

amjjawad
November 4th, 2011, 10:53 PM
For you old adventurers, here's the MSGE git: https://github.com/linuxmint/MGSE

Here's a shot of the Mint menu extension in the top panel (bottom panel disabled, menu defaults to top. I also edited out the word "Menu" from the extension.js)

Very nice :D

dyltman
November 4th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I do love that the desktops of the different distro's keep move away from eachother, so now fedora, ubuntu etc. are not just different themes and different package managers like it was before.

malspa
November 5th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I like Unity and don't have any problem with using it, but this MGSE thing looks interesting, so I'll probably take a look at Mint 12 when it comes out. As for MATE, meh, I'm okay with letting GNOME 2 rest in peace.

craig10x
November 5th, 2011, 05:34 AM
ditto here malspa :)

I have been running with ubuntu 11.10 and did get use to having a top panel and using unity and i find it to be fine to work with...but the new gnome 3 version of Mint 12 is definitely very interesting looking and i plan on checking it out also...

Yep..i agree with you..let gnome 2 rest in peace already :mrgreen:

I think i'd take out the bottom panel and move the window switcher and slab menu to the top, though...Apparently, gnome 3 requires a top panel...can't be changed...

KBD47
November 5th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Clem is my new hero. Imagine, actually listening to what your customers want--amazing. What is not amazing is that without even being released yet, Mint is #1 on distrowatch taking Ubuntu's place at the top. And it was Ubuntu that did just have a new release.
MGSE looks so good, if it works as good as it looks, MATE will not be needed, except perhaps for older hardware. Clem and his team may have worked a miracle, making Gnome 3 usable.
KBD47

wolfen69
November 5th, 2011, 06:32 AM
If it keeps people from incessant whining, I'm all for it.

malspa
November 5th, 2011, 06:44 AM
if it keeps people from incessant whining, i'm all for it.

+1

cbowman57
November 5th, 2011, 06:52 AM
If it keeps people from incessant whining, I'm all for it.

Amen brother.

I can understand some early apprehension but some folks just won't let it drop. The thing that annoys me most is that if they'd just paid $$$ for it (like Windows or Mac) they'd all be happy little campers touting the HUGE advances their chosen OS is making.

Ok, back on topic, I have downloaded the Mint extensions & tried some of them out, they seem to be really well done. Some are just fresher & possibly cleaned up versions of what are already available but I am really impressed with the menu. Not sure if the extension ties into zeitgeist and/or the same search function that is in the overview, but it feels very quick & light.

WTH, in case they closed the git or something I'll attach the tarball.

gsmanners
November 5th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Interesting. Not surprisingly, the bottom panel and the window list have the most work left to do. The menu just needs a little drag and drop and it'll be done. :D

cbowman57
November 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM
:)

Toafan
November 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I do think Gnome 3 is the future but, that's just it. It's not quite there yet.

Funny - that's how I feel about Unity.

Must watch this. may switch to mint just for extra awesome from this project
(but, not til' after this come out... :)

BrokenKingpin
November 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I like what they are trying to do with Gnome 3, but still won't be enough to get me to use it. I am pretty happy with Xubuntu.

I find Linux Mint to be frustrating at times. Like the custom Google search, which just irritates the hell out of me, and they offer no easy way to turn it off. I know it gets them money, but it shouldn't be forced on their users.

Also, they need to update LMDE with more current packages... such as Xfce 4.8. What was the point of them putting together a Xfce version only to leave it on the old version... mind boggling.

KBD47
November 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I like what they are trying to do with Gnome 3, but still won't be enough to get me to use it. I am pretty happy with Xubuntu.

I find Linux Mint to be frustrating at times. Like the custom Google search, which just irritates the hell out of me, and they offer no easy way to turn it off. I know it gets them money, but it shouldn't be forced on their users.

Also, they need to update LMDE with more current packages... such as Xfce 4.8. What was the point of them putting together a Xfce version only to leave it on the old version... mind boggling.

You should read the Mint blog post, if I understand it correctly, Mint 12 will no longer use the old Mint search, but rather support themselves with a portion of purchases made by Mint users on the web.
On a slightly unrelated topic--how long do you think it will be before we see "Gubuntu" (Ubuntu release with Gnome 3 interface) after Mint 12 becomes very successful using Gnome 3?
KBD47

bth73
November 7th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I started with a paid version of suse 8.2. Not quite easy to use as windows ME. Finally paid for XP pro and it wouldn't work for more than a few hours before the blue screen. Then a Best Buy salesman told me about Ubuntu. So, since three out of three new computers at Best Buy couldn't even burn their own recovery disc, (VISTA), I thought to myself, "someone sells a computer with Ubuntu on it I"ll bet. So, I got on my back-up ME machine, and ordered a Dell, (I think), with Ubuntu 6.04 on it. Well, no multimedia support. So I sent it back. But, before I sent it back I put the 6.04 disc into my home-built computer, (that I'm using right now), and it worked perfect, (as perfect as a computer can). Then I moved on to 7.04 which was current then. And then 7.10, 8.04, 8.10 ect. Since 8.10, it's been a down-hill struggle. Every new release breaking more than it improves. After reading a lot of different forums, (trying to find fixes), I finally feel not alone. I have tried many, many different distro's through the years, always winding up, back at some form of Ubuntu. Well, I think Ubuntu's #1 run is over! Not because of Unity, or gnome3, but because of NO FOLLOW-THROUGH, They never completely fix anything before they are abandoning it and go on to the next disaster.
I would gladly use an older system if it actually worked. Newest non-working system is just a pain in the ***. Especially when the support runs out before all the BUGS are worked out. At lest Windows still supports XP, and Vista, 10 YEARS OLD AND STILL THE MOST USED OS IN THE WORLD. As dumb as Microsoft is, Canonical is even dumber for not sticking with one best-working distro and perfecting it while working on something newer for the true computer geeks.

Still searching, BT.

BrokenKingpin
November 7th, 2011, 09:48 PM
On a slightly unrelated topic--how long do you think it will be before we see "Gubuntu" (Ubuntu release with Gnome 3 interface) after Mint 12 becomes very successful using Gnome 3?
KBD47
I think there are already a few spins with Gnome 3, although not with that name (which sounds horrible lol).

I would guess at some point one of these will get good enough where it will be an official Ubuntu derivative likes Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, etc...

amjjawad
November 7th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Check this out: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20111107#news

bug67
November 8th, 2011, 12:14 AM

I'm glad you posted this. I will give Mint 12 with their spin on Gnome 3 a shot. I hope I like it but, if not, Xubuntu will be my next install. I was super impressed with how fast it was even when running from a CD rom. I liked the looks of the GUI as well. I'll have to learn a new desktop but, I'm going to have to anyway.

Starks
November 8th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Mint's take on Gnome-Shell is pretty sick
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/try-new-mint-gnome-shell-extensions.html

Mint has reminded me how important the bottom bar is.

wolfen69
November 8th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I hope people realize that the mint gnome-shell extension will be available for ubuntu, and all distros for that matter.

pbpersson
November 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I don't know, between Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 and Unity and now MGSE, my head is spinning.

I am thinking that my next OS will run KDE until the dust settles with all these other worlds.

Gatemaze
November 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I started with a paid version of suse 8.2. Not quite easy to use as windows ME. Finally paid for XP pro and it wouldn't work for more than a few hours before the blue screen. Then a Best Buy salesman told me about Ubuntu. So, since three out of three new computers at Best Buy couldn't even burn their own recovery disc, (VISTA), I thought to myself, "someone sells a computer with Ubuntu on it I"ll bet. So, I got on my back-up ME machine, and ordered a Dell, (I think), with Ubuntu 6.04 on it. Well, no multimedia support. So I sent it back. But, before I sent it back I put the 6.04 disc into my home-built computer, (that I'm using right now), and it worked perfect, (as perfect as a computer can). Then I moved on to 7.04 which was current then. And then 7.10, 8.04, 8.10 ect. Since 8.10, it's been a down-hill struggle. Every new release breaking more than it improves. After reading a lot of different forums, (trying to find fixes), I finally feel not alone. I have tried many, many different distro's through the years, always winding up, back at some form of Ubuntu. Well, I think Ubuntu's #1 run is over! Not because of Unity, or gnome3, but because of NO FOLLOW-THROUGH, They never completely fix anything before they are abandoning it and go on to the next disaster.
I would gladly use an older system if it actually worked. Newest non-working system is just a pain in the ***. Especially when the support runs out before all the BUGS are worked out. At lest Windows still supports XP, and Vista, 10 YEARS OLD AND STILL THE MOST USED OS IN THE WORLD. As dumb as Microsoft is, Canonical is even dumber for not sticking with one best-working distro and perfecting it while working on something newer for the true computer geeks.

Still searching, BT.

With such an experience you should have learnt by now to upgrade your system at least 3-6 months after the release. And if you wanted a rock solid system then stick to LTS. Regarding multimedia support on your old dell pc, I hope you have heard about a tool called synaptic in the last 5 years.

linuxaddix
November 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
mint 12 rc's are done soon should be available.i read at the beginning a few are skeptical of the gnome 3 mgse shell.i have it on my ubuntu 11.10 and its awesome.also mint 11 was alright i still 10 was the best.we'll see how 12 turns out

bob-linux-user
November 10th, 2011, 02:41 PM
The MGSE looks very interesting, but 3 questions I would ask are:-
1) Does the menu "stay with the window" like it does in Windows and Gnome2.xx ?
2) Can the irritating overlay scroll bars be deleted? (they have been deletable up to now)
3) Can the theme be customised graphically/easily? This cannot be done on the Gnome fallback on Ubuntu 11.10

If the answer to all 3 is "yes" then I know what my next distro will be!

cbowman57
November 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM
The MGSE looks very interesting, but 3 questions I would ask are:-
1) Does the menu "stay with the window" like it does in Windows and Gnome2.xx ?
2) Can the irritating overlay scroll bars be deleted? (they have been deletable up to now)
3) Can the theme be customised graphically/easily? This cannot be done on the Gnome fallback on Ubuntu 11.10

If the answer to all 3 is "yes" then I know what my next distro will be!

Pretty sure the answer to all those is yes.

Here's a little video that might answer some of your questions http://youtu.be/_6Z9eWwabWo?hd=1

iamnotthemessiah
November 10th, 2011, 05:06 PM
the rc of lm12 is out
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/?C=M;O=D

cbowman57
November 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM
the rc of lm12 is out
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/?C=M;O=D

Thanks, going to check it out in a few hours.

scottbomb
November 10th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Interesting note from PC World article:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/243403/now_with_gnome_3_linux_mint_12_will_meet_users_hal fway.html

“The future of Linux Mint is GNOME 3,” wrote Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint founder and project leader, in a blog post on Friday. “The present of Linux Mint is a simple question: 'How do we make people like GNOME 3? And what do we provide as an alternative to those who still do not want to change?'”

You can't make someone like something. I hate brussel sprouts. Forcing me to eat them won't make me like them. I'll find another vegetable to eat. :D

If I understand correctly, people are flocking to Mint because they don't want Gnome 3 or Unity. Mint 12 has Gnome 2 and it works fine. If you want people to like Gnome 3, make it look and work like Gnome 2. Or at the very least, give users a choice if you want to keep them.

Personally, I'm quite happy with Xubuntu but all this talk about Mint is making me curious so I downloaded it to see what all the fuss is about. VirtualBox on Windows 7 is unable to install it for some reason so I'm test driving it with a Live DVD.

iamnotthemessiah
November 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM
you know, the MATE desktop environent that you can choose at the loginscreen in lm12 rc will make a lot of gnome2 fans very happy

BillyBoa
November 10th, 2011, 07:03 PM

It's impressive. They shot their leg.

I read an article about this and I totally agree with the writer.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/virtualization/i-hate-unity-i-hate-gnome-i-hate-windows-8-the-ultimate-desktop-search-continues/4089

KBD47
November 11th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Mint 12 RC is out now and I've been playing around with the MGSE desktop. I think it will help to mollify those who hate Gnome 3. Clem has tweaked it to give visible work spaces and visible minimized windows on the desktop. The Mint menu is nice on the bottom, but you also have the Gnome 3 menu at the top. Very interesting hybrid desktop, mixing both the old and new. I suspect it will be successful.
KBD47

bluexrider
November 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I love it. Haven't found a bug yet.

edited: I must have been frick'n nuts

bluexrider
November 12th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Testing Done!

UNINSTALLED

sffvba[e0rt
November 12th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Testing Done!

UNINSTALLED

Uninstalled? Any thoughts to share on the experience? I will give it a shot in VBox when I have the time..

bluexrider
November 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Sure.

Running 2 panels one on top and one on bottom neither of which can be modified.
"MGSE" (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions) is a desktop layer on top of Gnome 3 that makes it possible for you to use Gnome 3 in a traditional way. You can disable all components within MGSE to get a pure Gnome 3 experience, or you can enable all of them to get a Gnome 3 desktop that is similar to what you’ve been using before. Of course you can also pick and only enable the components you like to design your own desktop" is not true. Using a Gnome-Panel and a Mate-Panel at the same time is ridiculous.

So, it takes a lot of desktop real estate. The main menu cannot be modified, there is no right click to evoke that ability to change preferences. I didn't care for the Lightdm so I reverted back to GDM.

"Eventually, MATE will be in every way identical to Gnome 2 and represent the future of traditional desktops within Linux" but at this time its missing the ability to be configured.

The Gnome-Tweak tool is very limited as to what is tweaked and therefor disappointing.

It doesn't have the feel that Mint should. It is pure Gnome 3. Mate was thrown at it.... not incorporated well.

Way to confusing and extremely unfinished. I hope Clem and his team rethink this project.

sffvba[e0rt
November 12th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Sure.

Thanks... Mint's ambitions where high and I was wondering where they where going to get the time/resources to do all they wanted.

But it is early days, perhaps in the next release they will be closer to their goals.

craig10x
November 12th, 2011, 10:14 PM
It sounds like you were running the "mate" on mint 12...MGSE Mint is much different...though there is two panels, you can turn off the bottom panel and either re-log in or re-boot and the new design mint menu defaults to the top panel along with the "window list" (to minimize programs to)...so in effect, 1 panel (just the top one)...

Only bad part about mint menu now is that in gnome 3 you can't just right click an application and add to favorites, you have to unhide the shell docky (using the "infinty symbol) on the top panel and open the program first then right click to add to the dock, and then it will appear on the mint menu...

I think the mgse side of mint 12 is better then the mate side...but even though i loved all previous versions of mint (under the old gnome 2) this doesn't have the same "polished" feel like they did, so looks like i will be staying with my ubuntu 11.10 and continue using Unity, which while different then the old way of doing things, is pretty easy to use, looks good and is very smooth and fast...

Ubuntu 11.10 with unity actually seems easier to use for me then the new mint 12 MGSE does...sorry to have to say that...and ubuntu has a much more polished and professional look to it...

smellyman
November 12th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I had high hopes, but it feels weird.

kinda of hackish with regular gnome 3 capability with a weird layer on top.

leeper69
November 13th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Mint did a fine job on there desktop but I have been having problems getting Kaffeine to load due to a broken dependency. this is a must have program for me, it works with my pchdtv 5500 card.
bluexrider have you tried holding down the alt key while using your mouse right klick to get into panel properties in Gnome3?

KBD47
November 13th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I wasn't as happy with Mint 12 until I removed that bottom panel and found that I could load my shortcuts in Gnome Classic and have them show up in MGSE. Clem and the devs are on the right path. They have done something I thought impossible--made Gnome 3 user friendly. Don't get me wrong, this is not Gnome 2, but it gets you close to it.
KBD47

bluexrider
November 13th, 2011, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=leeper69;11451163
bluexrider have you tried holding down the alt key while using your mouse right klick to get into panel properties in Gnome3?[/QUOTE]

No. I am so disappointed I just broke the hell out of it tweaking on it. Couldn't log back in so she got the BOOT ):P Say so long to Lisa....Going to wait until more shell extensions and maybe a decent composer are more refined.

Until then,

Best wishes to those willing to try Lisa

craig10x
November 13th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Nice Screenshot...KBD47 :)
I'll check it out again when the final version comes out...hope he can smooth it out and polish it more...:wink:

KBD47
November 13th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Nice Screenshot...KBD47 :)
I'll check it out again when the final version comes out...hope he can smooth it out and polish it more...:wink:

I think he should use just the top panel for the default setting, having two panels takes up too much space and the only thing I lost with going one panel was workspaces, which I rarely use anyway. I just clicked on advance settings in the menu, then shell extensions, and turned the bottom panel off, logged out and back in. That was it.
KBD47

bug67
November 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM
So, am I correct in assuming that once the bottom panel is removed you can't then move the remaining top Gnome 3 panel to the bottom? Seems kind of silly. I'm not liking this continued move toward un-customizability. Think I'll give Xubuntu a shot.

KBD47
November 13th, 2011, 07:01 PM
So, am I correct in assuming that once the bottom panel is removed you can't then move the remaining top Gnome 3 panel to the bottom? Seems kind of silly. I'm not liking this continued move toward un-customizability. Think I'll give Xubuntu a shot.

I think it is being worked on, but not really seeing the problem for Ubuntu people as the gnome application panel was on top for Ubuntu anyway.
KBD47

bob-linux-user
November 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
@KBD47 (last post)

Yes the gnome panel was at the top but you could (and I did) move it to the bottom.

KBD47
November 13th, 2011, 11:47 PM
@KBD47 (last post)

Yes the gnome panel was at the top but you could (and I did) move it to the bottom.

As I mentioned, I believe this is being worked on, so keep an eye on the Mint forum, I expect it will be possible in the future.

PS--I misunderstood this post the first time I read it. I thought you were asking me how to do it. I would love to hear how you moved the top panel to the bottom. Thanks!

craig10x
November 14th, 2011, 03:42 AM
@KBD47 (last post)

Interesting :)
mind sharing how you did that?

KBD47
November 14th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I actually like the single panel on top, but would also be curious to know how to move it to the bottom.

I removed the bottom panel by:
Menu-advanced settings--shell extensions--bottom panel off. Log out, then back in. It sort of reminds me of pre-Unity Ubuntu Gnome with the top panel, but you have Mint menu and the infinity icon will launch gnome shell. It is something of a Mint Menu-Gnome Shell hybrid, and I like it. Man, never thought I could use the words "Gnome Shell" and "Like It" in the same sentence :-)

amjjawad
November 14th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I have downloaded the iso but didn't have time to test it. Problem is, I NO longer interested in Unity VS GNOME3 VS Such kind of talk but I'm interested to know how Mint took over the first rank in Distrowatch after 7 years of Ubuntu full control ;)

KBD47
November 14th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I have downloaded the iso but didn't have time to test it. Problem is, I NO longer interested in Unity VS GNOME3 VS Such kind of talk but I'm interested to know how Mint took over the first rank in Distrowatch after 7 years of Ubuntu full control ;)

As you know I am a Lubuntu fan. Mint for me it is the distro I could point extreme newbies to and they would have a working distro right away with codecs and everything out of the box. Right now I think Lubuntu and Mint are two of the best distros for newbies. Mint 12 RC appears to have tamed Gnome 3 and made it user friendly. It still needs a bit of polish, but they have done an incredible job.
KBD47

amjjawad
November 14th, 2011, 05:08 AM
As you know I am a Lubuntu fan. Mint for me it is the distro I could point extreme newbies to and they would have a working distro right away with codecs and everything out of the box. Right now I think Lubuntu and Mint are two of the best distros for newbies. Mint 12 RC appears to have tamed Gnome 3 and made it user friendly. It still needs a bit of polish, but they have done an incredible job.
KBD47

Yes my friend, I know we both share Lubuntu Love and it's so much obvious from everything we post and do so don't worry :D

Yes. Ubuntu used to be the gateway that new comers use for some time then simply move to another distribution after a year or more. With the new path of Ubuntu, I think new comers will go for another choice.

I do miss Ubuntu 10.04. I LOVED IT. I wish I could use it now yet again but ... I don't see "L" in that anymore :P

KBD47
November 14th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Yes. Ubuntu used to be the gateway that new comers use for some time then simply move to another distribution after a year or more. With the new path of Ubuntu, I think new comers will go for another choice.

I do miss Ubuntu 10.04. I LOVED IT. I wish I could use it now yet again but ... I don't see "L" in that anymore :P[/QUOTE]

10.04 was/is rock solid. Too bad we can't just move it forward to 12.04 and update the kernel and all the software but keep that solid base and interface supported for 5 more years :-)
Lubuntu has a bright future. I immediately liked it and that has not faded. Been frustrated with it a few times but quickly got over it :-) But getting back to Mint, Clem and the other developers have done a good job with 12 and I think it will be successful.
KBD47

amjjawad
November 14th, 2011, 05:22 AM
10.04 was/is rock solid.
Indeed.

Too bad we can't just move it forward to 12.04 and update the kernel and all the software but keep that solid base and interface supported for 5 more years :smile:

Nothing is prefect :)

Lubuntu has a bright future.

Ditto.

But getting back to Mint, Clem and the other developers have done a good job with 12 and I think it will be successful.

Mint was always the second choice that I look at when needed. I have Mint 11 LXDE installed on my 2nd Test PC. On another Laptop at our house, Mint 11 is installed on a Toshiba, 4 years old I guess with Windows 7.

When it comes to Lubuntu VS Mint LXDE ... I guess you know who will beat the other ;)

When it comes to Mint 11 VS Ubuntu 11.10 ... well, did NOT even bothered to install Ubuntu 11.10 but I guess Mint will win.

As for Mint 12, I wish we could see something new for those users who are so upset because of the new path of Ubuntu.

I'm not that Unity hater by the way, it's just not my cup of tea and I wouldn't bother to waste my time to do something so simple which will take so long with Unity.

Psyael
November 14th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I've never used Lubuntu, I did give Xubuntu a whirl and really enjoyed it and were it not for some efficiency issues (adding a launcher to a panel is more work than it should be) I wouldn't mind setting it up for a newbie. The image viewer is a little lacking, but Thunderbird and gmusicbrowser are great.

Since I figured out how to workaround issues and get Chrome installed, I am enjoying Mint 12. I wish there was some more themes but I'll chalk it up to being an early release with a new DE.

BrokenKingpin
November 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I hope people realize that the mint gnome-shell extension will be available for ubuntu, and all distros for that matter.
That is good news, I just hope that those extensions don't add extra bloat.

I guess I also don't really see the point of customizing Gnome3 to have standard panels. There all already DEs with standard panels such as Xfce, so why not just use that as the primary DE, and build on top of that if need be?

amjjawad
November 15th, 2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/linux-mint-12-rc-the-greatest-hits/

KBD47
November 15th, 2011, 09:42 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/linux-mint-12-rc-the-greatest-hits/

From OMG Ubuntu, I'm guessing there is more than a little bias in that review ;-) especially since Mint is the leading Linux at distrowatch for the past 12 months now. Some of the gripe is legitimate, Mint 12 seems to have a lot going on with the 2 panels, that's why I disabled the bottom one. But Gnome has left everyone with bad choices who want to continue forward with Gnome.
KBD47

jjex22
November 15th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I'm a minty man myself, but isn't it leading the distrowatch list because it counts all editions as 1 distro while each ubuntu DE is recorded as a different distro?

amjjawad
November 15th, 2011, 10:13 PM
From OMG Ubuntu, I'm guessing there is more than a little bias in that review ;-) especially since Mint is the leading Linux at distrowatch for the past 12 months now.

I didn't read the whole thing, I just posted here for everyone to read :)

By the way, Mint is not taking the lead since 12 months, I think it's taking the lead for the last month only. These are statistics based on Hits/Clicks. Because there were so much hits for the last month, that affect the average for 12 months, thus it's No.1 even when you select 12 months.

KBD47
November 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm a minty man myself, but isn't it leading the distrowatch list because it counts all editions as 1 distro while each ubuntu DE is recorded as a different distro?

I'd be curious to know how many people actually use Debian Mint, it isn't exactly user friendly and the download page tells users that. All I know is Ubuntu was leading, now Mint is on distrowatch.

amjjawad
November 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM
This will give better idea:

http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

jjex22
November 15th, 2011, 10:16 PM
+1 KBD47, it was the first mint that disappointed me, not in any particular way mind, just one of those can't quite put your finger on it things!

amjjawad
November 15th, 2011, 10:18 PM
+1 KBD47, it was the first mint that disappointed me, not in any particular way mind, just one of those can't quite out your finger on it things!

Not everyone is a fan of Rolling Release Distributions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

Edit:
That doesn't mean these distributions are bad :)

KBD47
November 15th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I didn't read the whole thing, I just posted here for everyone to read :)

By the way, Mint is not taking the lead since 12 months, I think it's taking the lead for the last month only. These are statistics based on Hits/Clicks. Because there were so much hits for the last month, that affect the average for 12 months, thus it's No.1 even when you select 12 months.

You are right. I just saw that you can get the 12 month results and it shows Mint in the lead.
The main thing is for people to find the Linux distro that works best for them. Mint tries to be very user friendly, so does Ubuntu, but each are pursuing it differently. It will be interesting to see which one people follow the most 6 months to a year from now.
Meanwhile Lubuntu will keep on trucking along while they fight it out ;-)

BillyBoa
November 15th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I'm using now the 12. Is awesome!

Only problem the ATI card. I have some flickering.

jjex22
November 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
That doesn't mean these distributions are bad :)

Oh no, not at all, Debian was the first distro I played with after Ubuntu lured me in, it was actually the idea of the rolling release that spiked my interest having signed myself up 2 weeks before 10.04 came out. (as a noob I didn't much miss the brown!)

amjjawad
November 15th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Meanwhile Lubuntu will keep on trucking along while they fight it out ;-)

I'm telling you and everyone here that I for one will do MY BEST to get Lubuntu to top 10 :D

amjjawad
November 15th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Oh no, not at all, Debian was the first distro I played with after Ubuntu lured me in, it was actually the idea of the rolling release that spiked my interest having signed myself up 2 weeks before 10.04 came out. (as a noob I didn't much miss the brown!)

I have tired only antiX in 2010 and that wasn't for too long. I'm ALL into one OS at the moment, that is Lubuntu :)

KBD47
November 15th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I'm telling you and everyone here that I for one will do MY BEST to get Lubuntu to top 10 :D

I noticed it has stayed fairly steady on distrowatch, staying near the top 10 position over the past year. I like the KISS principle, and Lubuntu follows it well :-)

amjjawad
November 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I noticed it has stayed fairly steady on distrowatch, staying near the top 10 position over the past year. I like the KISS principle, and Lubuntu follows it well :-)

First Lubuntu for me was 10.04. If truth to be told, not because I'm a member of Lubuntu Team but because I'm a Lubuntu User first of all ... Lubuntu has proved itself as one of the best distributions and the fastest in development. Lots of differences between 10.04 and 11.10 in the overall performance.

Yes, and SliTaz too does it quite well but if you ask me, SliTaz VS Lubuntu = Lubuntu and that's for many reason only those who have used both will understand what I mean :)

Back to Topic ... I wish Mint taking over Rank 1 will be a wake up call to our best friends in Canonical :P

jjex22
November 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I have tired only antiX in 2010 and that wasn't for too long. I'm ALL into one OS at the moment, that is Lubuntu :)

I'll have to give it another go, last time I tried it out (I'm sure it was based on 10.04) it was good but a bit rough round the edges, been over a year though, running mint lxde on the netbook atm.

Tomorrow is set aside for opensuse 12 playing, and thurs I'll get a look at mint 12RC - very interested in getting a look at MATE, but Sunday I'll load up a Lubuntu vhd and see how it's comparing to mints attempt - being upstream I think it's still around a release ahead of mint's version, so should be interesting!

amjjawad
November 15th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I'll have to give it another go, last time I tried it out (I'm sure it was based on 10.04) it was good but a bit rough round the edges, been over a year though, running mint lxde on the netbook atm.

Tomorrow is set aside for opensuse 12 playing, and thurs I'll get a look at mint 12RC - very interested in getting a look at MATE, but Sunday I'll load up a Lubuntu vhd and see how it's comparing to mints attempt - being upstream I think it's still around a release ahead of mint's version, so should be interesting!

It's been 3 releases and I can confirm that Lubuntu has changed a lot in these 3 releases.

When it comes to Mint LXDE vs Lubuntu, sorry but Lubuntu beats it big time. LXDE = Lightweight but above all SIMPLE. No need to all these stuff installed with Mint LXDE but that's my opinion.
As already being mentioned before, Lubuntu is following KISS quite well :)

Ripfox
November 16th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Using Mint 12 right now and let me tell you, its FANTASTIC. It works like a DESKTOP, but with bells and whistles. Good job Mint!!! Made my computer usable again.

KBD47
November 16th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Using Mint 12 right now and let me tell you, its FANTASTIC. It works like a DESKTOP, but with bells and whistles. Good job Mint!!! Made my computer usable again.

It has a lot of options. Attached is Mint 12 set up to look like Mint 11.

craig10x
November 16th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Nice screenshot...how did you get the panel to the bottom like that?
Is this in the MGSE interface or is this "mate" or "fallback"?

KBD47
November 16th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Nice screenshot...how did you get the panel to the bottom like that?
Is this in the MGSE interface or is this "mate" or "fallback"?

It's fallback. I just removed the bottom panel, alt-right clicked on the top panel, went under settings and moved it to the bottom, tweaked it a bit, that's all. Took about 5 minutes. I think the developers could make an iso like that and most of their users would be happy. On MGSE you can remove the top panel, and move the bottom panel to the top to clear up some desktop real estate. I also did that.

trivialpackets
November 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I am still using ubuntu, but I've installed the mgse extensions through webupd8 and let me just say, once I disabled the hot corner, I absolutely love the interface that I'm working with in gnome3.

If only I could use gnome-shell in a 2d environment (like over NX) like I can with unity.

sffvba[e0rt
November 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I am still using ubuntu, but I've installed the mgse extensions through webupd8 and let me just say, once I disabled the hot corner, I absolutely love the interface that I'm working with in gnome3.

If only I could use gnome-shell in a 2d environment (like over NX) like I can with unity.

Fedora 17 they are planning to support Gnome-Shell without 3D - http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/gnome-shell-to-work-without-3d.html

Grenage
November 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM
While I moved over to Fedora 15 on my work PC (and like it a lot), Mint does seem like it's worth another gambit. I might try it on a laptop.

trivialpackets
November 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Fedora 17 they are planning to support Gnome-Shell without 3D - http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/gnome-shell-to-work-without-3d.html

This will be good. Can't wait for it to get to Ubuntu. Unity can, KDE can, but my preferred environment right now is Gnome.

amjjawad
November 27th, 2011, 09:57 PM
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07000

bluexrider
November 27th, 2011, 10:01 PM
:KS
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07000

where you been.....mine is installed and running):P

amjjawad
November 27th, 2011, 10:03 PM

where you been.....mine is installed and running):P

I've been away from Linux and the forum for a week or so but I'm trying to be back to action ;)

bluexrider
November 27th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I've been away from Linux and the forum for a week or so but I'm trying to be back to action ;)

see what happens when you leave......DON'T do that again.

amjjawad
November 27th, 2011, 10:09 PM
see what happens when you leave......DON'T do that again.

It's true I was NOT posting but I was reading every now and then. I was following Distrowatch every day. I know Mint is on the top for a month or so now. I have tired the RC release (Mint 12) and I'm done with downloading Mint 12 both 32 and 64 bit.
I'll install the 32 bit on P4 (my Test PC) and if everything is ok, I'll replace and get rid of Ubuntu 11.10 on my Lenovo G570 (Core i5 2nd generation and 4GB RAM) once and for all. Having that said, Mint 12 (if I'll find it better than Ubuntu 11.10) will run along side with Win7 (I keep it for Photoshop ONLY) and Lubuntu 11.10. Yes, I use Lubuntu 11.10 on my Lenovo Laptop with the above mentioned specifications.

bluexrider
November 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM
IMHO LM 12 is still in development. I personally don't care for either Gnome 3 nor MATE although MATE is more like Gnome 2 than 3 so guess what?

NO, I will continue to use 11.04 and 11.10 in fallback but not make LM12 my main distro. Maybe once the buggies are gone and some better tweaks are around then I may customize it to fit my needs.

I feel for you using windows for photoshop. I have XP on VM so I can do the same thing.

I like to use Lightroom too and again has to be done with MS. :(

Hope you like what you got.

KBD47
November 27th, 2011, 10:55 PM
IMHO LM 12 is still in development. I personally don't care for either Gnome 3 nor MATE although MATE is more like Gnome 2 than 3 so guess what?

NO, I will continue to use 11.04 and 11.10 in fallback but not make LM12 my main distro. Maybe once the buggies are gone and some better tweaks are around then I may customize it to fit my needs.

I feel for you using windows for photoshop. I have XP on VM so I can do the same thing.

I like to use Lightroom too and again has to be done with MS. :(

Hope you like what you got.

Why not use Mint 12 in fallback? It comes out of the box with fallback, you just need to log in. I installed Mint 12 to all 4 of our computers and all 4 are set up in Gnome Classic/Fallback mode. You just use the alt-right-click on the panel to move and adjust and add things, not really much different than Gnome 2. And you can adjust the panel to solid color which isn't solid at all but makes the bottom panel see through, which is nice. I have 2 of our computers with the traditional 2 panel set up like in Ubuntu 11.04 fallback, the other two I have set up with just one bottom panel.
KBD47
KBD47

amjjawad
November 28th, 2011, 12:25 AM
IMHO LM 12 is still in development.
I'm done with installation and I'm having some weird stuff going on my desktop but can't re-produce that now.
I'll keep testing and see what will happen.

I personally don't care for either Gnome 3 nor MATE although MATE is more like Gnome 2 than 3 so guess what?I was in love with GNOME 2 but since it's no longer supported, I would care less about what is going on. I have moved to LXDE and I want to stay there for now. Why am I using Mint 12 then? I want to understand and see why Mint took over the 1st rank from Ubuntu ... there must be a good reason.
Unity, GNOME3 and all that ... I don't even have time to go through this talk :) LXDE/Lubuntu is all what I really care about until further notice.

but not make LM12 my main distro.
My main is Lubuntu 11.10.

Hope you like what you got.Still testing Mint 12 and see what is going on. Thanks anyway :)

jimrew111
November 28th, 2011, 12:34 AM
great system but MATE is very buggy.:guitar:

bluexrider
November 28th, 2011, 01:56 AM
This is an interesting piece of info I'm sure you will enjoy it greatly!

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813

amjjawad
November 28th, 2011, 11:17 PM
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20111128#news

Finally, how does Mark Shuttleworth view Mint's replacing Ubuntu as DistroWatch's top Linux distro? Here is his answer (http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/11/23/%23ubuntu-classroom.html): "Kudos to Mint for the jump in ratings, I'm glad Ubuntu has great derivatives, and I'm confident Unity will remain the #1 desktop environment for years to come."

KBD47
November 28th, 2011, 11:56 PM
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20111128#news

Well, he is half right ;-)