PDA

View Full Version : For a new distro Ubuntu is...

joplass
March 8th, 2005, 08:32 PM
On distro watch http://distrowatch.com/ Ubuntu is pushing every distro out of the way. It's #3 behind Fedora and Mandrake. Like that [-o< [-o<

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 08:39 PM
On distro watch http://distrowatch.com/ Ubuntu is pushing every distro out of the way. It's #3 behind Fedora and Mandrake. Like that [-o< [-o<
It's about time .deb based distros once again, took over .

Jad
March 8th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Lets dominate the WORLD!

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Lets dominate the WORLD!
Ok mister http://www.able2uk.com/pinky_brain.gif

HungSquirrel
March 8th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Bored, you now officially rule. Just so you know.

BWF89
March 8th, 2005, 11:05 PM
How Fedora could even be within 20 distro rankings (because it sucks) of distros like Mandrake, SuSE, Ubuntu, and MEPIS is beyond me

jdong
March 8th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Ubuntu certainly shows strength as the next biggest distro. Hopefully, Debian isn't too upset with Ubuntu -- we rely strongly on Debian, but we just feel its release cycle is too long. (BTW, Debian has a new release schedule in the brew)

As far as the other distros in top places, there are good explanations:

1. Mandrake: Very newbie-friendly. Mature user base, a nice array of GUI configuration tools.

2. Fedora: The RedHat name still sticks like glue. Also, since many books, articles, and 3rd party/commercial software still strongly backs Fedora/RedHat, they have remained popular. I don't think too highly of Fedora as a distro to recommend to a new Linux user.

4. MEPIS: Once again, quality-controlled Debian Sid, only with KDE. IMO, Hoary's KDE is extremely nice (I use it!), and doesn't fall behind MEPIS's in any way.

5. SuSE: Newbie friendly, good admin tools, backed by Novell.

MetalMusicAddict
March 8th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Ubuntu certainly shows strength as the next biggest distro. Hopefully, Debian isn't too upset with Ubuntu -- we rely strongly on Debian, but we just feel its release cycle is too long. (BTW, Debian has a new release schedule in the brew)
How or why could Debian get upset? :-s Im uninformed if it comes down to linux politics.

If it came down to it could the Ubuntu team make their own non-Debian based distro? Sorry but the quote sounded scary to me. :) I love Ubuntu and would hate to see it go. ;)

poofyhairguy
March 8th, 2005, 11:56 PM
How or why could Debian get upset?

Some Debianites are upset. They see Ubuntu as a fork (and I think they are a little jealous of Xorg and timely releases). I've talked to some, and they are very bitter towards Ubuntu or as one of them put it "linux for idiots."

Of course, these are the same debianites that are famous for kicking noob ass in their IRC room.

jdong
March 8th, 2005, 11:59 PM
There is a school of thought, as mentioned, that Ubuntu is taking away vital Debian users.

I see Debian's recent announcement of a release cycle revision as an attempt to "compete" with Ubuntu.

MetalMusicAddict
March 9th, 2005, 12:02 AM
You would figure people would just be happy more people were gettin into linux. Ive had so much luck with Ubuntu that its helped me learn alot. One reason I kept away from linux is I had very little success and most fourms/chats were rude. Now I think I have enough knowledge to give a better shot at other distros. Though I do love Ubuntu. ;) I sing its praises and plug it every chance I get. :)

Dylanby
March 9th, 2005, 12:28 AM
I think Debian & Ubuntu compliment each other nicely. When I first discovered Ubuntu I thought of it as "Debian Desktop" done proper.

For Debian I think a 6 month release cycle (for stable) is too short. They'll probably settle on 12-18 months. The only "competition" for Ubuntu will be if testing gets security updates.

Each distro also has a slightly different focus. Ubuntu contributes back to Debian so who uses what (for non-paying users) is not that important.

bobmitch
March 9th, 2005, 12:34 AM
If you filter for the last month, rather than the last 3 months on distrowatch, ubuntu comes out on top.

We`re takin' over the world I tells ya! :)

MetalMusicAddict
March 9th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I think Debian & Ubuntu compliment each other nicely. When I first discovered Ubuntu I thought of it as "Debian Desktop" done proper.

For Debian I think a 6 month release cycle (for stable) is too short. They'll probably settle on 12-18 months. The only "competition" for Ubuntu will be if testing gets security updates.

Each distro also has a slightly different focus. Ubuntu contributes back to Debian so who uses what (for non-paying users) is not that important.

Thats the only thing I tend not to like about Linux. Lots of releases. I like 12 month releases. I have XP installs runnin well for 2 years now. Once a year rebuilds are enough for me. ;)

On topic though. It does warm the heart to see an upstart doin so well. :)

jdodson
March 9th, 2005, 01:02 AM
.... or as one of them put it "linux for idiots."

this kind of "your distro makes you incompetent" thing has bugged me for awhile. some of the brightest minds i know use distros that some write off as "linux for idiots" or moron distros. just because you use mandrake does not mean you are a gnu/linux dumbass.

i surely hope debianites are not assuming ubuntu users equate to idiots or newbies. especially when you consider the stark fact that ubuntu is in fact debian with a few twists. when i installed debian sarge i saw little to hardly any difference in the installer(ubuntu removed the questions about X and video card stuff). so if they are knocking ubuntu they are knocking debian. there were a few other differences, but in the end, ubuntu felt like debian.

this sort of distro-leet mentality is really annoying. i could run gentoo, but i don't have 5,234,234,445,654,565 days to sit in front of my computer to compile everything. i could run debian stable(hello 2.2 default kernel!) but, for the life of me, sort of enjoy running a 2.6.X kernel and gnome 2.10 in a stable release fashion. i did try debian sarge, and was really impressed by it, however in the end appreciate the ubuntu twists and changes, though i did feel at home on debian sarge and could use it.

then again, gentoo is not that leet anyway. my wife could install it as the gentoo manual is VERY well written. running stage 3 and with the default stuff it not that hard at all if you can follow directions, which most people can.

don't get me wrong i am not knocking debian or gentoo, they are both awesome distros. however, i don't use them for a reason. some of those reasons i stated in this thread, some i did not.

jdong
March 9th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Once a year rebuilds are enough for me. ;)

With Ubuntu, it's not really a "rebuild", just an "apt-get dist-upgrade". :)

mark
March 9th, 2005, 05:03 AM
this kind of "your distro makes you incompetent" thing has bugged me for awhile. some of the brightest minds i know use distros that some write off as "linux for idiots" or moron distros. just because you use mandrake does not mean you are a gnu/linux dumbass. <snip>
I couldn't agree with you more. Distribution snobbery (or eliteism, if you will) is something that can do much harm to the Linux community. To me, one of the truly great aspects of Linux is that there's enough choice and diversity that, if somebody comes out with a distro dedicated to the game of Go, it'll have an audience.

In the name of decency, just let people use what they want to, without denigrating them for it.

MetalMusicAddict
March 9th, 2005, 06:32 AM
With Ubuntu, it's not really a "rebuild", just an "apt-get dist-upgrade". :)
So when Horay is released, if I do a dist upgrade from my current Warty Ill get Horay? That would be cool instead of doing a clean install from a Horay cd. I didnt think it worked that way.

adbak
March 9th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Actually, what you'd have to do is open /etc/apt/sources.list in your favorite editor and replace all instances of 'warty' with 'hoary'. Then 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'. But yes, it is much easier this way than starting with a clean Hoary install.

TravisNewman
March 9th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Between changing the sources.list and doing the 'apt-get dist-upgrade', you need to run "apt-get update" to download the new repo listings. I know you knew that adbak, just wanted to clear it up for anyone who might see this and want to try.

adbak
March 9th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Between changing the sources.list and doing the 'apt-get dist-upgrade', you need to run "apt-get update" to download the new repo listings. I know you knew that adbak, just wanted to clear it up for anyone who might see this and want to try.

Thanks. When you do it daily, you tend to gloss over the more mundane stuff.

MetalMusicAddict
March 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Actually, what you'd have to do is open /etc/apt/sources.list in your favorite editor and replace all instances of 'warty' with 'hoary'. Then 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'. But yes, it is much easier this way than starting with a clean Hoary install.
Ahh.... I see. Makes sence. :)

cliff58
March 10th, 2005, 06:35 AM
If you filter for the last month, rather than the last 3 months on distrowatch, ubuntu comes out on top.

We`re takin' over the world I tells ya! :)

Well tonight we come out on top filtered for the last 3 months. What a difference a day makes! :mrgreen:

This is the first distro I've used that I haven't pretty much given up on in a week or less. I've been at it for over 3 weeks now, learned more about Linux with it than the last 2 years of tinkering put together, and in fact can hardly wait to upgrade to Hoary.

I think this fine community is largely responsible for Ubuntu's success. Like all the other distros I've tried, a few things aren't/werent working right. But unlike the others, I'm finding answers here! 8)

defkewl
March 10th, 2005, 10:32 AM
It's about time .deb based distros once again, took over .
Err, so all this time what distro based took over? It has been .deb all the way isn't it?

joplass
March 10th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I concurred with everything you guys said in your posts. After taking a Linux class in school I felt in love with Redhat then, I believe it was Redhat 6. Out of all my buddies, six of us, I am the only one running Linux at home today. All the rest of them no matter what I told them would not even consider trying Linux although I gave them names like Lycoris, Xandros, and Lindows, which to me are relatively easy distros. Their excuse was “I don’t have the time to waste trying to understand and configure an OS”. Someone even said that if windows was that hard he won’t use it. The point is that everyone who is part of the Linux community should feel good when there is a star like Ubuntu in town. As soon as an individual will get jealous because one distro is doing better over their prefer one, it will be RIP Linux and Open Source in the horizon. Especially if this person is part of a development team.
I felt in love with Linux because of Mr. Torvalds’ philosophy. Please no one person shall spoilt what is going on.
To the Ubuntu guys I tip off my hat to you for such good work. The forum is amazing unlike some Linux forums I visited in the past where you find knowledgeable but rude people. I hope they all know that not everyone on the surface of the planet is Linux expert let alone computer literate. My personal transition from Redhat > Fedora > Mandrake and now Ubuntu is going smoothly thanks to the forum.